RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Internet Censorship Bill

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
With Megaupload taken down just like that it doesn't look like whether or not these bills pass has much of an effect.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
difference being they had to actually go through the legal process to take down megaupload and they allegedly have emails proving the owners of megaupload were re-upping infringing content via dummy accounts after they were forced to take those things down.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Megaupload getting taken down means the laws already in place are enough for them to fight piracy without having to introduce bills that would infringe on our freedoms. So in a way, it's a good thing since it proves how needless SOPA and PIPA really are.
:tinysmile:

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Yep, but through current laws it can take a long time to take down websites. I think the MegaUpload process took over a year or almost? They want it expeditious, with no resistance.

I *think* the only current "quick" alternative for copyright holders is to take it to court and hopefully drain the resources of the defendant dry.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
It's kind of like how you can't search someone's property without a warrant and you can't put someone in prison without a trial. Our legal system is there to protect the innocent.

"better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
SOPA and PIPA support has pretty much collapsed. Thank god.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Not pretty much, they've been downed since yesterday. There's already a new bill, though, written by the same Lamar guy: HR. 1981. Read it, and discuss.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
http://www.slashgear.com/sopa-sponsor-has-another-internet-bill-that-records-you-247-20210264/

That one? Expect it to be met with the same resistance and ultimately, failure, again. If it somehow passes or is secretly slipped into another bill and goes unnoticed it's a pretty good example of how corrupt and how shit your government is at the moment.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Goddammit, another one? Jesus, do these people not take a hint? If SOPA and PIPA and even MegaUpload's removal (which, honestly, did have some legitimate reasoning at least) met with such an enormous negative backlash from the public, what the absolute fuck do they think people are going to think about PCIPA?

"What's this? Having all of my internet history recorded each time I use my credit card? Well that sounds like fun! This will certainly make up for not having my internet censored for me!"

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
@ the US Government:

:facepalm:

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Lamar Smith and Chris Dodd have to go. Plain and simple.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
Why do you people seem surprised?

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
Goddammit, another one? Jesus, do these people not take a hint? If SOPA and PIPA and even MegaUpload's removal (which, honestly, did have some legitimate reasoning at least) met with such an enormous negative backlash from the public, what the absolute fuck do they think people are going to think about PCIPA?

"What's this? Having all of my internet history recorded each time I use my credit card? Well that sounds like fun! This will certainly make up for not having my internet censored for me!"

It's the cybercriminals delight. Just imagine it they got access to that information. Not only do they have your credit card information, they can also match your buying patterns which makes it less likely for their abuse to be caught.
What an excellent idea :V

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
"better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Hug me, Irock.

I know I'm fixating on this quote out-of-context, but I have to comment on it. Y'see, I always say "The worst crime you can commit is the conviction of an innocent." And people actually disagree with me on that, even though the statement only implies that it's better to let ONE guilty man go for the sake of an innocent. But you say ten? I thought any number above one would be too radical. I thought I was the only one who actually recognized the importance of protecting the innocent over catching the guilty. Thank you. Thank you for restoring some of my faith in humanity.

Now, on topic, anybody else notice how frighteningly close we are to a "Big Brother"-esque reality?

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
You realize that's a quote by William Blackstone, right?

Rep:
Level 102
I AM William Blackstone!

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Completely slipped under my radar that so many big countries have already signed ACTA. Heard from here and there that Poland will join in on the signing, making the rest of europe a bit anxious. Scandinavian *chan boards are going wild!
:taco: :taco: :taco: