RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
The Mirror Lied [4mb] - Unencrypted Version Posted

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for July 2008Project of the Month winner for May 20072011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Spoiler for Mm:
I will say upfront that some people will not like this. And no, it is not in the "horror" genre, "unless you think it is".
Anyway, it is only 4mb, so it doesn't hurt much to give it a try. :smile: Thank you for your time.

Only 4mb. Why not?

Download link:
http://www.quintessence-tbv.com/The_Mirror_Lied.exe
[ ~4mb, ~15 minutes of game-play. ]

Story:
A birdie flew over the roof yesterday. He said he'll fly over again today.

But he landed on water.
Hi birdy. Are you here? 

Tick, tock, tick, tock.

Characters & Setting:
A faceless girl in a faceless world.

Music:
An entire original soundtrack composed by yours truly.
With a grand total of 1 song.

Interaction:
Nearly every item on any map is interactive.

Length
~15 minutes.

Notes:
  • If there are moments where you suddenly go "I think this bugged out, it must've just skipped a bunch of events"; chances are that it didn't.
  • You may ask by the end of this, "Did this have a point?" or "What just happened?" or "Why did you waste 20 minutes of my life?"; I have nothing to answer to that.
  • Pay attention to details.

Enjoy. Don't miss the birdy.

And that's that. Back to Quintessence I go.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 02:12:41 PM by modern algebra »

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
Looks interesting to be a waste of my time  :) downloading & Trying it out.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Great atmosphere. I hated watering that fucking plant, though. lol

Rep:
Level 87
Wow, simply wow Reives!

Seemed mostly like a Silent Hill game, but at the same time it isn't!

Great job, you have inspired me <3333

Rep:
Level 87
Code Geass = Best show EVER XD
Project of the Month winner for May 2008
I'm replying to this again becuase simply put, this is a must try game XD

just absolutely wonderful Reives.

Rep:
Level 85
Waht aer yuo lokinog at? dnot look at my theet.
I must try this game!

Downloading .. . :)

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
I haven't had time to go through entirely, but I like what I see! I did find one mapping error though. In the downstairs section of the first stairway, Leah's able to walk on the wall up to the painting. But that's a minor thing that can be easily fixed. Other than that, I loved it! The atmosphere is perfect, and you seem to have a flair with making great title scenes. Great work, Reives!

Rep:
Level 87
This game is awesome, the atmosphere was perfect for the game. The intro looked great, seriously I wondered what the plant was for. XD

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Birdie flew away.

Yes it did.

Great job, Reives!
But still I don't think I 100% finished it. I still dunno what to do with the gun and the plant. ;9
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
I still dunno what to do with the gun

Uhm, shoot the lock. It's in one of the screenshots.

Oh, and what the hell did the liquid to be placed under the microscope have to do with anything?
Was it just me, or was something in it catalyzed by the fire?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 03:01:46 PM by Dertt »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
sithlord has chosen Mirror Lied for next month's POTM. Congratulations Reives on yet another fine game and yet another well-deserved POTM nomination.

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
Congratulations on Project of the Month Again Reives ^__^

Rep:
Level 87
Congrats, for a short game, it is certainly excellent.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Yeah, congratulations on another POTM. I think you remember the drill, but if you need me to send generic PM again, I can do that too.

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for July 2008Project of the Month winner for May 20072011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Oh hey, wow, thanks! And thank you Sith. c:

And it'd probably be best if you send that generic PM just in case, modern. All I remember is that I need to pick the next up when the time comes.

I will be posting the unencrypted version of the project here soon. There are still some glitches with this version at the moment, and I still need to get off my lazy bum to fix them. c': My apologies in the mean time.

Cha, thank you, and enjoy~  :)

Rep:
Level 89
Sorry for the double-post, but since it's somewhat of a "major update", I think it's passable if I remember right. As I promised, this post contains the unencrypted file.

*If you are looking to play it for the first time, do not use the unencrypted file - its graphics are censored with filter-slappers.

Note that this would probably kill the game a little, since things are often less interesting when it's gutted open. Don't expect anything revealing or whatnot - What you see is what you got; there's no conspiracy going on in its design.     :)

http://www.quintessence-tbv.com/TheMirrorLied_Unenc.exe

[My apologies that I had to censor the tileset with a filter, as I do not have its distribution right. You can easily find the sources that they were compiled from, mainly from Zanyzora's site - a quick google search of "Zanyzora RMXP" should do. c:

Enjoy! And sorry for the messy design; I didn't take much time for organization for such a short project, heheh. Anyhow, hope this can be fun for some; I myself enjoy poking around others' unencrypted projects for the hell of it, heheh.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
It's really hard to read the unencrypted version, it has a lot of strange commands :P

But on the matter of the game... I really loved it, but Im confused about what exactly happened.

Rep:
Level 97
It's sort of a matter of interpretation... I think. I took it to more or less an allegory about the loss of ambition, or rather the inability for certain ambitions to flourish in the "real world". The quotations are there to reference the popular MTV series that I wish had never existed.