RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
:(

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
ALL YOU COMPUTER SAVVY PEOPLE OF RMRK!!!...

Will you help me with getting a computer build? ;-; I just started my internship, and I'm getting paid, and I'm probably going to set aside $750 (give or take $250) to a new computer. So now, when you guys play new games, I can join! ;8

So, will anyone suggest any computer builds with a listed price? ;-;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121019
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:55:16 PM by mastermoo420 »

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Do you plan on getting a quad or a dual core?
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
No point in getting dual core anymore, especially for that budget.

AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Model ADX635WFGIBOX

Foxconn A9DA-S AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ...

SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD154UI 1.5TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBPK

COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR-A3 500W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply

You could switch the motherboard for something else, that one just looked good to me.

Don't worry about the "eco" hard drive, with 500GB platters even at 5400RPM you will get 80MB/s+. It will perform as good, perhaps better than, a SpinPoint F1 1TB.

Total cost: $587.94.

I'm assuming you don't need a keyboard and mouse etc or a monitor. You can re-use sata cables and other stuff like that too.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:02:55 AM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Thanks, Roph! ;8 That's actually very cheap compared to what I thought I'd need to spend. It shouldn't be long until I have this computer... :3 Maybe a month? Hell, if I'm lucky, I'll be able to get it by my first paycheck! ;8 With all the calculations done, I'll be able to by the computer, do my religious obligation, and set aside at least $100 for each of my family members to buy something... I'm really excited. :3

EDIT: I want a new case, too, so it might be more expensive than planned. :x Any idea what kind of case is good and will be able to support what you've given, Roph? P: And what's a SATA cable, and what should I look for if I want to get a different motherboard?

And I also want to do this completely from scratch. What else would I require? A CD drive? What's a good 'un? P: I don't mean to, like, make you do all the work or anything, but I'm just really not sure and want to make sure it's not messed up when I buy something. ;-;
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 04:25:45 AM by mastermoo420 »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Thanks, Roph. :) But, btw, the COOLER MASTER power supply seems to be V2.3? Like 2.3 voltage? While the quad-core processor is 0.85-1.25V? Or is that protected by the power supply's "Over Voltage Protection?"

And, hopefully, Roph, if this American Express gift card thing works, I'll be able to donate. ;-;

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
the cpu isn't the only thing in your computer that needs power.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Oh yeah, LOL

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
That means ATX Version 2.3. It has nothing to do with voltage. Power supplies always supply 3 static voltages, it's just the wattage and current they're able to handle that differs.
bringing sexy back

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Ohhh I seee... Also, if I wanted to switch anything for a better part, what would you say could be changed?

EDIT: Also, how do you overclock? P: I was looking through the CPU's reviews, and, apparently, someone said:
Overclocks like crazy- I run it at 3.75ghz, but it is stable even at 3.8ghz, temperature around 40C idle on stock cooling
So, even if I'm not overclocking to 3.8 or whatever, I could still boost the performance. P:

EDIT: And what's a core unlocker?
And how does this look for a mobo? Though I'm confused to what "DDR3 1600(O.C)/1333" means. I assume O.C. is overclock'd, but idk if it's mandatory when you overclock or not.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:34:57 PM by mastermoo420 »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Oh yeah, bump. I had a few questions, Mr. Silverroph Dolphin, in the post above.

I was also thinking of this graphics card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102858

And then I looked at the specifications and it's basically the same as the one Roph showed. >_>

Also, do I need anti-static stuff or is that just a mega safety pre-caution? P:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 07:29:37 PM by mastermoo420 »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
OKAY I HAVE FINALLY ORDERED IT AND IT IS ON ITS WAY NOW, I GUESS. Basically everything in Roph's last post with the computer build minus the monitor. Just making sure: there are metal parts on the computer case that aren't painted on, right? P: I lack anti-static materials so I'mma be working on the hardwood floor and yeah.

EDIT: Is the 1/0 switch on the power supply the "rocker switch?" P:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:41:28 AM by mastermoo420 »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
YEAHHHHHHHHHHH IT CAME ALREADY THAT'S SO FAST; How does I put its together? P:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
OKAY, I MAN'D UP AND ASSEMBLED THE WHOLE THING ON MY OWN. It works fine, and I'm currently putting on Windows XP :) (I don't have Windows 7 yet so I might as well get something on there).

Where do I find drivers for everything, though? ;-; I have some stuff from the packages, though.

EDIT: Hey, what gives? I bought a 1.5TB HDD and it registers as 127GB...?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 03:22:55 AM by mastermoo420 »

Rep:
Level 102
Why do you make these posts? You're studying programming etc aren't you? So why can't you be resourceful enough to at least try this first?

I've never had that problem, so what I would be doing is exactly what you should already be doing, googling it.
bringing sexy back

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Yeah, I actually just posted mostly as a reflex. P: What I actually tend to do is post, look things up, and accept answers in that order, lol. I mean, you guys know more than me so I'd hope that an answer that you guys give would be one you guys know work rather than one I randomly found (that could still work).

But yeah, thanks.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Okay, bump because I have a new problem: I can't connect to the internet on my new computer.

I have everything set up exactly like I did with my old computer. In fact, I just took the cable from the back out and put it into my new computer. The cable doesn't light up which makes me wonder if it's actually working, but it probably is considering everything else that connects to the back-side works.

There was already a network adapter that was on when I looked, but it doesn't seem to do anything. When trying to repair, it gives some kind of a TCP/IP error ._.

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
Install network drivers that came with your motherboard?

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Oh, yeah, I found out that was the answer. >_> Wonder why it wasn't working before... Anyways, new question; I'm reusing this thread a lot. P:

What's a safe temperature for overclocking my CPU? I heard somewhere that 68C is decent when you use something like IntelBurnTest or whatnot to test full loads, but I've seen all sorts of numbers lying around on the internet so I don't really know for sure and was hoping someone could confirm or deny this belief that 68C is good enough.

EDIT: http://products.amd.com/en-gb/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=625
Says 71C, but is that, like, the "if you pass this, you're in danger!" or "just don't even try to get here?"

and how accurate is SpeedFan? P:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:37:19 AM by mastermoo420 »

Rep:
Level 102
You don't know what you're doing, so don't overclock. You don't even need to.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
This.

Besides, faster clock cycles =/= actual performance increase in some cases (this is dependent on the type of RAM you're using and how much of it there is.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
All I do is make the pretty numbers go up! ;8 I mean, I did overclock to 3.2, and things still seem stable. o_O The only reason I know that is because all the temperatures still look the same.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
OKAY, NEW QUESTION, LOL. I went ahead and un-overclocked my CPU per advice of Roph.

But I was wondering: Is Windows 7 really that great? I mean, I'm comfortable with Windows XP and all, and I already have a lot of stuff downloaded on this Windows XP computer so... yeah. P:

Rep:
Level 83
I have had more problems with 7 then I had with XP. Like Firefox crashing all the time. Or Task Manager not starting. Or seeing the blue screen of death twice. (I have only seen it with 7) However, it is faster then XP and cleaned up 70-90% of the problems with Vista.
Honestly, I know 7 will get better, so I would upgrade to 7 at some point...or wait for the next version

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
I have never had any problem with Windows 7, everything i use with my computer automatically gets installed, it's faster and it is just good.

though people will still like what they are comfortable with