RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RMRK Guilds, 2010?

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
The guild leader(s) should probably be thought of more as a director. The final decision should be theirs but there should be some discussion of course about what to do. After all, do you think on real video games everyone making it is in 100% complete agreement about everything? No.

Even better would be if the mapping style, for example, were decided solely by the mappers and the guild leader. Let the scripters, spriters, etc. focus on their own work rather than how the mapping is coming along. (If I remember correctly, this wasn't a huge issue last year but it still happened and proved to be just a time waster).

In short, yeah pretty much what Irock said. Ultimately none of this is up to me though, just offering my opinion :)
Yeah, there should be discussion among the members. That's what I meant by "pitch ideas" because naturally members would incorporate several ideas into a few different ideas. If a respectable decision isn't reached, the guild leader(s) would make the final call.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
(When I say moderator in this post, I don't mean any RMRK Mod, but just whoever is responsible for ensuring the guilds are on track and for setting standards)

I don't think the teaser thing would work, personally. Part of what I see as the goal of splitting it up into pieces like that is to encourage the relevant members of the guild to focus, together, on a single task. Having to release a teaser wouldn't really encourage the collaborative aspect of it. That has a number of benefits; in addition to making it more team-oriented, it would also be a safety mechanism. If you have only one person in charge of eventing, for instance, then if they lapse or are forced off the project by real life then there are others who know the direction of that aspect of the process, so it wouldn't totally ruin the guild's chances.  The other reason I would be uncomfortable with teasers is it doesn't really force the team to progress. You can have enough content to make a great teaser and not really have very much done. I'd rather the interim judgments to be ones primarily measuring progress of the project, not how good it looks or otherwise as those judgments could be worked into the final product judgments. At the same time, teasers would be more friendly to judging then whether or not the database is set up correctly, which is why I'd rather the judgments of those portions be primarily based on progress rather than the content itself, and reserve content judgments for the final product. That type of judgment would be more amenable to objective assessment by an unbiased moderator, rather than using a community poll for every stage. If we went that route, we wouldn't need all of the stages to be public releases, only ones that made sense and the moderator could make assessments of progress where it actually makes sense.

Also, I would be more comfortable with the guild director having a limited veto power rather than total control. If there is indecision, or if he/she thinks a particular choice would be really, really bad, he/she should have the power to discard it. But if >60% of the guild don't want to go a particular direction, I don't think the guild leader should be able to force them in that direction - the primary goal of it should be fun, and being forced to do work that you think is kind of lame isn't much fun.

And I agree that it should only be among the relevant members of the guild. People who aren't mapping (aside from the director) shouldn't have a say in what the map style ought to be. But I would leave that for the individual guilds to decide. ~ Maybe the moderator could only set the external deadlines and judgments, and give each guild a week to determine its own constitution for how much power the guild director would have and who gets to vote on what issues.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 10:18:56 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Everything involving the guild should be up to the guild leader(s). The organization, the things that need to be done, the order they need to be done in, the time it should take to do them, and everything else. A guild can't be operated in a timely fashion if they spend all the time arguing about these things. However, I'd listen to the opinions and suggestions of everyone else, since it is a team, and I'd most likely go with the majority's suggestion. This is assuming the suggestion isn't too much to handle, or if it's just a bad idea in general. I don't think limiting the guild leaders is a great idea. The guild leader could go with whatever political system they feel is best. It's not like they can force anyone to do anything they don't want to.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
Modern algebra raises a good point though. In fact, he raises many good points and I pretty much agree with him entirely. If most of the people disagree with the decision the leader makes, then they're not going to be enjoying themselves very much (most likely). This seems to be an issue that really needs to be discussed thoroughly and so I'd like to move this topic to one of the public forums to get community involvement now.

If any of you mods think this should stay in RMRK Advanced, by all means, overrule me and move it back. :)
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 102
If the leader made a decision that everyone didn't like, there would be an issue. That's why a good guild leader will listen to the members to reach a good decision that most will enjoy and will be beneficial to the game. I don't think we should be concerned about how the guild leaders are going to act, as it really shouldn't be much of a concern at all.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
You're right, it shouldn't be, and I don't think it will be. The leader needs to be able to make decisions people won't like. But it's best to be prepared for it. I think the best course of action is if the guild is really that unsatisfied with the current leader's decisions, they need to vote for a new leader.

I think that anyone who would be the leader in the first place has enough sense to not do stupid crap like that and will put the fun of the project before anything else.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
When the guilds are put together they should decide on how it's going to operate, I don't think we should impose a standardized set of organization rules.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
This sounds like a blast and I'd love to participate. I can now, since I got past the internet filters at work.

If I may, (and I never thought I'd hear myself say this,) I agree with Irock. A guild leader should be strong enough to make "executive" decisions but also listen to his members. As far as a standard of operation rules, I agree with Halo; I think keeping the group together is kinda one of the challenges that make it a contest.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Hrrmm.. I would only be worried that a bad guild leader might make the guild not fun for the all of the members, and then sadness would ensue. But you guys are probably right that the guild leader needs a certain amount of power in order to ensure the guild works well. At the same time, I think the other members need at least enough power that they can stop it if it is such that it makes it not fun, because if they don't they'll just leave or not do it which would kill the project as quickly as having an indecisive or weak director.

I would be up for allowing each guild to make their own constitution as NAM suggested though - maybe whenever we do get this going we give a small amount of time at the start of the competition for the guilds to create their own devices for power apportionment. That's also dangerous though - maybe I'm just overthinking this.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Uhm this is just an idea that I just got from reading this:
@Halo - are you going to be taking on a role as a moderator again this year, or do you want to be more hands off? Because if neither you nor anybody else wants to do it, then I might be up for that role. Otherwise, I'd sign up as a SCRIPTER
In the signups.

Why not have the games polled by the community as a whole. Everyone gets two votes. That way anyone who worked on their own game would vote for their own and then we get one other vote. (I say it like that just because I know some people will vote for themselves if it were only 1 vote.) Post the games - Post the Poll - Wait 2 weeks, and see who won.

I'm not against saying no to my own idea here, just something I thought of. I'd hate to see MA dropout to mod the guilds.

Rep:
Level 97
well, I think it would depend on the system we end up using. If we go with "progress reports", then I'm not sure if polling would be the way to go for most of those categories (aside from maybe plot and mapping). Aside from which, if we had a poll for each category every week or two it would get boring to keep voting on all of these things and I suspect interest would falter. Aside from which, content wouldn't be an appropriate measure of things like Database work. If all it is measuring is progress, I think it could be assessed by an unbiased moderator and we would need a moderator in that case. If we go with Zylos' idea for teasers, then community polls for each deadline would be more appropriate and we might not need a moderator. I think, however, there ought to be anyway, since they could act to enforce the rules of the competition, also resolve disputes between guild and perhaps extend deadlines if all guild leaders agree or whatever - point is, I think Halo's role last year was an important one whether we go with progress reports or not. However, he has also indicated that he would be willing to fulfill that role if it is no more extensive than last year, so I wouldn't need to be moderator in that case.

In any case, I don't mind dropping out of the guilds and it wouldn't necessarily exclude me entirely. It would give me more time for scripting public scripts, and guild requests could still be made publicly and I could, for instance, offer to fulfill one or two script requests for each guild (to be made public immediately thus also making them usable to all other guilds if appropriate).

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 01:12:48 PM by modern algebra »

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
Ah, you misunderstood me Modern. That is exactly what I want to avoid.
What I would want is something like this:

• Month 1 - Small game released (First build) 5%
  • Month 2 - Revise and extend (Second build) 10%
  • Month 3 - Revise and extend (Third build) 10%
  • Month 4 - Revise and extend (Fourth build) 15%
  • Month 5 - Final build (no hanging issues) %60

Basically that you create a small hopefully working build after the first month. It's alright if there is hanging issues. It just should be at least somewhat playable.
I would also want to avoid the waterfall model as much as possible since there are times where people don't do anything even with back flow.
I would want everyone having something to work with after the first week.
Remember this is not like normal game development which starts with fewer people in the start phase and then more people get added.
If we don't give people something to work with then there is a much higher chance that they will abandon the project. (Of course too much work shouldn't be given either)
While this primarily is for the guilds to figure out I see no reason why not to come up with a model which encourages this.
My idea is basically to incrementally build the game up. For data-basing it would be to only have say 6 monsters and balance them out.
Work on say 10 maps and event them so they work as well as possible.
For next build then a couple of more monsters are added and a rebalancing takes place, a couple of maps are added and the old maps are revises. Likewise with mapping. And similar ideas with the artists. They can go over the monsters again. Perhaps the first 6 was unfinished, finish them more. Let's not forget how much people will learn this way ;)
You would never work like this in a normal situations, but the guilds are definitely not a normal situation for rpg maker developers.

Another issue is that people will go. It's a fact we learned the last time. What about accommodation for traffic of people. I.e. people can come after other people go?
Of course there will be some administrative aspects to deal with, but what do you feel about the idea?
As for scoring I was thinking that public voting should be counted for each build as described. Perhaps some judge voting can be added into the mix. This would of course mean that judges would have to be found.

*hugs*
 - Zeriab

Rep:
Level 97
We've sort of moved the discussion on that topic over to http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,36352.0.html, but I think that model is probably a stronger version of the content-based release models. However, I don't think there is ever a time where people would not be doing much in the waterfall/progress-based models. Guilds could always be working on other aspects of the game than the particular area of focus, I think the model would only encourage focusing on the issues that need to be resolved. With an incremental approach like the one you mention, I would be worried that hangups in any specific area would completely inhibit progress in another area. Mapping can't be done before you know the story, and so if parts of the story are unresolved then the mappers would be left with nothing to do and no way to affect progress. I would simply prefer if whatever model we came up with encouraged collaboration on as many areas as possible by as many guild members as possible, thus reducing the negative impact if a member leaves or if even a single group is behind on their own tasks. The point of the progress-based model isn't to limit all of the members to one aspect at a time or to exclude the members who work primarily in a different area, it is merely to setup a schedule that encourages that the necessary work is done in a timely fashion to enable completion of the project and to encourage collaboration on all apsects of the project, where mappers can have some impact on the story and vice-versa.