RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Two ideas, and time for only one. Help me choose!

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Well, I recently made official the fact that I am no longer going to work with that RMXP project I had: Darkenval: The Lost Story.  I have decided to move on with a different project.  But I got two ideas I want to use, and I only have time for one.

The first idea is for a child-friendly RPG that I currently call "Believe", although I am seriously considering a name change.  It starts with a young boy (around 10, perhaps), a magical book, and his quest to protect it and find his little sister, who gets lost in the always intimidating forest that surrounds their home village.  But soon after the boy ventures into the forest, he realizes that he is no longer in the world that he always knew.  Something has gone wrong, and with the help of a mysterious "forest girl", he will try to find his sister, and the way back home.
Sounds simple, and a little like "The Never Ending Story", but it isn't.  I was actually going to try doing something special with the "magical book" to combine it with the battle system, to form strategies or something like that...  I also planned to make it cute and somewhat comical.  This game would be simpler than the other.

The second idea is for a much more complex story.  Actually, this would be a very long game, for which I had decided to turn it into a saga instead, and so, have mid-length to longer but more detailed games based around the same world, characters and plot.  It is a little like the typical save-the-land story, but with its twists and with a great focus on character development... and of course, a well-thought-out world with lore, history, geography, etc.  Surprisingly, this world would not be Medunian.  (You'd understand if you knew me well, because Medunian is a world I created years ago and that is still taking shape.  I mention it often.)  It would be a new world.  I would, however, not detail it as much as Medunian.  The world would only exist with the purpose of creating this game saga.
The other benefit of making it a saga would be a greater chance of improving with every release.  I am an amateur RM user, so the first release would not be perfect.  With the second, I will have gained more experience, and it would definitely be much better.
The story begins with two brothers; two knights of the most powerful civilization known to that part of the world.  They are trusted and loved by the monarch, who sends them on a secret mission to an 'exotic' land that is said to exist "beyond the mist".  The reasons given to the knights are vague.  It is on their way to that land, that they understand that something is very, very wrong...  And that everything they once knew, is not exactly what it seems.
The story revolves around the two brothers for a while, but then changes its focus and takes a whole new direction.  It is very complicated for me to explain right now, so that is all I will say.  This is a story about truth, betrayal, love, hate, war, power, and many other things.

Which one would you choose or prefer me to work with?  I'd be using RMXP and RTP graphics for any of the two projects.  With obvious edits and additions of my own.  Music, I would try to get someone to compose for me, because to me, getting the right music is very important.

And that is all.  Please let me know what you think.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 01:29:53 PM by Arwym Starlight »

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I think you should go with the first idea. First off, it's light nature makes it more likely that you would be able to complete it and less of a burden. And second, I'd be more interested in playing a creative and cute game like that than another generic fantasy title.

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
I think you are right.  But the first one is also fantasy'ish, you see.  Only lighter and less "epic", hehe.  Still, you are probably right.  Thank you.  :)

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
I'll agree that the first one is easier, but it sounds so much like a fairy tale. I'd rather see a more complex story, but you should probably chose which one you think will get done.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Thirded.
The first idea sounds more plausible, perhaps cuter, and you can still develop its story to be more complex.
Of course, it's your choice Arwym - do whichever you want. ;)

It is better not to be too ambitious, rather than to be ambitious and fail in the end. ;D
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Yeah, the first game's story is actually more complex than how I describe it in this thread.  It is also easier to find the sprites and tilesets for this one.  Many things make me choose it, mainly for its simplicity.  I think it's something I could finish.  :)

Once I am done with it, I will think about starting with the second idea.

Thank you for your opinions!  I think I have made my mind. :)

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Glad to be of assistance!^_^

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
both are good. If you like easy and stuff then take the first one.

But, if you take the first one, call the boy "Nighty" or something.

And i'll take care of the music. I can talk Zypher into composing some stuff XD
Arlen is hot.

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
LOL!

Thanks, Nightwolf, but I was thinking about letting the player choose the boy's name.  Well, wait...  Whatever makes the player feel more identified with the main character?  That is really what I want.  If I choose a name, it will have to be a realistic name, sorry.  :(

Are you serious about the music, by the way?  O_O

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
1. The player will have to choose Nighty for his future.

2. Yes, i am serious about the music. I know people who can get him to do stuff.
Arlen is hot.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
1. The player will have to choose Nighty for his future.
lol I don't get it.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Ofcouse if i give you a choice to choose the name i want you to choose and death, you'll choose the first choice.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 89
I'm back again. Again.
I think the first choice, but only because it would be easier to make. You could attempt the second idea (which does sound very good, btw), when you have more free time, or/and if you have a team to help you.

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Hehe...  I hope you don't mind me posting here again.  I know it's a dead thread, but, um...  I wanted to say that as soon as I am finished with other things I must do, and with giving the characters more depth, I am going to open the project's official thread.  And I am going to be looking for a musician who is willing to compose an original soundtrack for me... and help with many other things, because I am starting.  But I want to start with the right foot.  I know that making mistakes in the first try is something I can't help, but if I try hard and get constant feedback, my "training" will go much faster, and the game's production as well.

Well, that's all for now, I think.