RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Writing] I have a lot of time on my hands.

Rep:
Level 88
As some very observant people might have noticed, I'm a gigantic fan of Pokèmon, though I tdon't show it too much on the forums, and I killed some time long ago and made some fanfiction over it. This is only a repost of something I posted on another forum, but I am rather proud of it, and I decided to show it off over here. Thus, behold my magnum opus:

Rediscovery

Book I: First Traces

Prologue

The orange streaks of the departing sun danced across an open meadow, mixing shadow and highlight - and everything in between – into an artful display of fertility and radiance. A lone tree stood proudly amongst the swaying blades of green and saffron; its branches held nature’s bounty in all their beauty, open for all to enjoy. A shallow stream trickled quietly amongst the abodes and businesses of the grassland’s many residents, selflessly quenching the thirst of any who required its assistance. The rustling of the leaves, the gentle trickling of the stream’s current, the warm glow bathing all in its splendor; few could have remained restless in such serenity.

Amidst it all was a complex pathway dug into a regal mountain of green, around which several creatures enjoyed the beauty of life. Long, serpentine raccoons darted through the grass with the greatest of grace and speed, with lengthwise stripes of russet trailing through the bright beige of their fur. Their claws were great but nimble; two dikes of fur on their heads could pick up the slightest sound. Greatest of all, however, was their sense of smell, enhanced by the spheroids of black which served as their noses.

Among them, with less grace but more vigour, zigzagged many smaller creatures, these predominantly browner in colour. The fur on their diminutive bodies was layered horizontally into alternating, zigzagging outgrowths, and they sported black visors of fur upon a jovial face.

It was unfortunate that the play of the Linoone and Zigzagoon would have to be so short-lived.

Out of the distant horizon came a silhouette of a figure, riding on the thermals of the desolation beyond. Its shadow fell like an infection, feeding upon all that is innocent, delighting to corrupt virgin land. A resounding cry rang out, speaking of deathly pale disease. It was shrill and metallic, and it seemed to seep into the hearts of all who heard it, freezing them in their tracks. Any living creature would have instantly understood that there was no cry more terrible that this in all of creation.

As the death-bird came nearer, all of the Pokèmon around the mountain began to file into their sanctuary by unspoken order. Gone was the joy, gone was their reveling; only terror was left in the creatures now.

The creature came to rest on a wide platform atop the mountain, and its dazzling features became distinct. Cold, reptilian eyes shot out from a mask of a face, constructed out of two overlapping plates of steel. Three elongated, crimson scales protruded from either side of its metal torso, topped by a larger, silver plate; this accursed contraption seemed to serve as its wings. Its tail was pockmarked by a single, circular scar; its avian legs were capped with cruel talons, perfectly suited to rip apart flesh and crush bone.

The Skarmory spoke. His voice was cheerless and emotionless; it only held contempt for the world and all its children.

“Takyos,” he spat, “come out and face me. Or have you lost the last remnants of your self-dignity? You seem to have taken to hiding behind your pathetic brood like a wizened old fool.”

At this, slowly but surely, a Linoone emerged from the tunnel leading downwards. Old scars ran deep across his body, and his limbs held the weight of countless years, but his gait was steady and his voice was sure.

“And you, Skarmory,” Takyos replied, taking care to speak the word ‘Skarmory’ in the most scathing manner possible, “have sunk no lesser. I believed I would die before I should hear the great Scourge of Steel resort to childish taunts.”

Takyos’ affronter ignored the remark. “Ah, I see we are no longer on a first-name basis. How tragic. Tell me, how long will it be until we stop lingering in small talk and get to business?”

The Linoone instantly stiffened, as the Skarmory nodded in approval. Takyos was always uncomfortable in such matters as they were about to discuss.

“If you truly believe, Skarmory, that we would simply hand it to you, you truly are becoming senile. Go back to your accursed land! We have nothing for you.”

“I always knew you had lost your mind. The Gem of Power! A catalyst of unimaginable supremacy, enough to extend your reach beyond even the Great Sea! Your people know exactly where it lies, but for some inconceivable reason, none of you have ever attempted to find it. I have never seen stupidity as astronomical as this.”

The Linoone’s answer was yet again predictable. “You have no idea what you are saying. This much power in the hands of a mortal… It will only lead to the world’s demise. You would be simply corrupted at first, but slowly, inevitably, you would be forced to commit horrendous tasks, against your will. A shell, Skarmory! You would merely be an empty shell, forced to carry out the order of that which you sought. Even you could not imagine a life like this.”

“Impossible. How can a vessel of my own will trap me? In any case, all of your stratagems and machinations are over, Takyos. I have a lead, and I will follow it to the end. The Gem will be mine! The world shall see my power, and despair!”

Storm clouds gathered, shadowing the world in a dreary veil. Swaying blades of grass became tentacles of death, grim and thick with darkness. Ragged threads of light streaked from the sky, illuminating all with an unnatural light before sinking into the blackness from whence it came. The illusion of serenity was forever broken; paradise was irretrievably lost in one blinding moment, as all the hope and contentment of the last remnants melted away.

Takyos seemed to fall into himself before the death-bird, and he was finally revealed for what he was: an old, defeated man, ultimately swept away by the tides of time. The pride of the Linoone was inexorably brought down to its knees as its perpetrator reveled in his triumph, and the last remaining traces of morality were soon to collapse.

This was the end.

“Goodbye, Linoone!” the Skarmory said, shouting above the roar of the maelstrom around them. He took one bounding leap, landed on the very edge, and zoomed upwards in a triumphant corckscrew.

Takyos walked over to where the Skarmory had jumped. A depressed red button contrasted among the rocky precipice.

Somewhere, Takyos heard a beep.

“Dear God.”

In an instant, the mountain cave was engulfed within a murderous inferno, racing up to the heavens with the deadly tentacles of its cyan flame. The center of the commotion began to spread outwards across the grassland, feeding upon life, converting every conceivable shadow of beauty into a wasteland of infernal flame. The horizon which had once linked fertile land to majestic sky was now the fine line between fire and rain, meeting the fiercest bowels of hell with the greatest wrath of heaven.

And through it all, the Skarmory dived in crazy swirls, a recreant demon come to rain its wrath down on earth.

One moment he was a god of flame, and in the next instant, he was nothing but a distant shade amidst wrathful darkness, zooming off to the bloated, drowning sun.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:18:44 AM by boe »

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
God that's...
Well...
A lot of tekst !

Fuck dude you wrote that ?
I'll read when i have more time and when in the mood :p

And a nice job dude !

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
I'm taking a guess that Snailer didnt read it, but lol yeah, its good.

God its.....its......its texty. lol.
Arlen is hot.

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
I'm taking a guess that Snailer didnt read it, but lol yeah, its good.

God its.....its......its texty. lol.

LOL

That's what i said ^^

Rep:
Level 88
Well, it is a chapter of a fully-fledged novel/fanfiction, but even then it's a bit below my standards on size.

Thanks for the compliments, in any case.

Rep:
Level 88
*zombies around*
Mmm. Divinely inspired. I have not heard that kind of eloquence from usual fancreations.

Snailer <3

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
the vocabulary is amazing. Great adjectives especially that brought it to life, and the setting of the actual pokemon's world is a good twist.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
This was pretty much the caliber of my stories I wrote when I was your age, so it doesn't wow me as much, but it's still impressive.

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I have a lot of semen on my hands.  But thats another story entirely, nice fanfic.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
It's garbage. For a million different reasons. I'm not even sure where to begin.

Rep:
Level 88
Hmmm? I don't follow you. Give any reason that comes to your mind; if you hate the unoriginality, it is fixed in the next chapters, I believe.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
[21:07] <Zypher> I gave him the benefit because he's 10
[21:07] <Zypher> and I wrote the same shit when I was 10
[21:07] <Djangonator> LOL
[21:07] <Gijgames_> my main problem with it is it doesn't flow at all
[21:07] <Djangonator> No
[21:07] <Djangonator> the probem is
[21:07] <Djangonator> it has no voice
[21:07] <Zypher> the problem is
[21:07] <Djangonator> only visual description
[21:07] <Zypher> he sounds like Naphe
[21:07] <Djangonator> words that don't fit
[21:07] <Gijgames_> voice doesn't matter as much
[21:07] <Djangonator> voice does matter
[21:07] <Gijgames_> his use of words is... awkward
[21:08] <Djangonator> Not just awkward
[21:08] <Djangonator> incorrect, to

Rep:
Level 88
^ 12, actually.

I might just be thick, but could you give me an example of the incorrect word usage? I scanned through it, and it seems for the most part correct.\

I'll post the next chapter, I want to see if the problem is prevalent throughout the fic. The prologue was written seperately from the rest of the chapters.

Rediscovery

Chapter 1

A looming mountain stood up against a bloody sky, its gaping mouth thick with smoke. Morbid views provoked the viewers’ imagination; all around the shattered dagger of flame, only desolation could be seen. The volcano stuck out of what had once obviously been a desert, but it had now gone beyond wasteland and could be only described as a very branch of hell. Black, craggy outgrowths fed upon the lakes of industrial effluent, smoking with the same toxicity as their grisly fodder. The hardiest organisms had already vanished from the infection, and disease had fed upon disease, eliminating each other. Yet one’s attention was drawn irresistibly to the dark, fiery doom amidst it all, leaking magma in silent slobbers. Among the pillars of smoke which it vomited out, two of the only signs of life circled each other.

One was a whirlwind of cold steel, the perfect literal embodiment of death in flight. It glided and dove, cutting through the smoky haze in deathly silent spirals, spelling certain death for all who came in its path. Its steely blades danced a macabre dance, spinning all around it, stirring the air into a cyclone of razor wind. Through all its swift violence, however, subtlety was not lost upon the cold figure: no sound of rippling air could be detected; not an air of movement emanated from his wraithlike profile. Before him glided something completely different. It was a serpentine figure, radiating an ethereal glow which allowed its full appearance to be displayed through the smog. A single horn protruded out of a dragonlike head, flanked by two feathered embodiments of the wind itself. Underneath the subtle snout was a cobalt orb, which seemed to glow as if from another world. Its long, graceful tail was topped with a combination of two more such orbs as those beneath the head; it gave off the same cyan radiance as the shades of the entire body seemed to symbolize. The two creatures cut corkscrews around each other, varying their paths rhythmically in a frenetic death dance, calculating as they searched for their opening. The two came to a final rest at either end of the volcano’s rim.

A sudden zephyr blew back the smoke.

“Decessus.”

“Pegasus.”

“We meet again.”

In an instant, the Skarmory and Dragonair fell upon each other, as, behind them, a blazing wall of flame roared up from its fiery depths. The fighters were enveloped in a lethal womb, trapped beneath a dome of lava which hungered for their fiery demise, but they took no notice of it as deadly talon met otherworldly flame. This was no poor man’s brawl; few physical offenses ever hit their mark. At a level such as this, tactics were fundamental. The opponents converged and diverged, meeting together with a clash of metal before backing yet again to the crimson-saffron wall behind them.

Decessus’ metallic wits had not dulled any more that his razor blades, and he instantly understood the gravity of the situation. Keeping a rhythm while battling was one of the most perilous experiments, as the first one to break the rhythm would be at a gross advantage. He also knew, however, that this very fact was not lost on Pegasus, who had already come on his guard, increasing his agility and bracing for impact at the same time. He positioned the blades on his crimson wings for attack as blatantly as possible, deliberately blowing his façade, as he continued his rhythm, and saw to his satisfaction that Pegasus immediately noted this.

He zoomed yet again to their meeting point, determined, as Pegasus began erecting barriers before him in anticipation. Decessus would require speed for this, and thus, he agitated the atoms within his body, elevating himself to a new plane of time, and as he raised his claw, time itself seemed to slow down. The death-bird stretched his blade as far as he could manage, seeing Pegasus’ eyes darken in expectancy, and he brought it down with all his might, a supersonic apparition of acute reality. His wing-blade whipped through the air, farther and farther down…

Nanoseconds before it reached Pegasus, a flash of smoke enveloped it, and Decessus was gone.

Even sooner, a blade of cold death split Pegasus’ unprotected back.

The Umbreon’s feint. It was an ancient trick which the Skarmory had learnt long ago, and it was rather simplistic, unless one could twist it to his advantage. Decessus had done the same, but he was nevertheless mildly surprised at Pegasus’ foolishness. He had been known to commit such mistakes before, there was no doubt of that. Yet Decessus could not shake the feeling of faint foreboding.

With unspoken order, the two began to circle each other, pausing at strategic intervals for a fraction of a second, until it seemed to any viewer that there were, in fact, eight fighters, not two, by a trick of persistent vision. Yet this was no trick; in less than a minute, there were now four wavering copies of each opponent, none sporting any form of identifying mark. This battle was being fought with (as the more technical may say) high risk, high return.

As each copy of Decessus flew after a Pegasus duplicate, a ghostly mist began to descend into every nook and cranny of the chamber, bright golden and fiery beyond compare. It burnt into hide and poisoned the blood; it penetrated every barrier in its frantic efforts at causing as much damage as possible. The dragonfire did not come in vain; three Skarmory copies had already begun to lose their opacity, and, as they dug their illusory talons into their respective counterparts, all three pairs shook violently and burst into a million wisps of frail smoke.

The fourth Decessus, however, had endured more than that, and, repelling the fire, instantly begin to shoot a multitude of five-pointed stars, impacting unavoidably with Pegasus’ midriff and leaving angry red marks where they fell. The dragonbreath instantly dispersed, its source momentarily incapacitated.

Decessus wasted no moment; he rushed to Pegasus and tore at his sensitive skin with a frantic succession of slashes, throwing caution to the winds. Every gash he opened elicited a horrible cry from the Dragonair, but Decessus took no notice of the streaks of crimson staining his flawless steel blades or the pathetic vulnerability in which he had left himself. He was wrapped in the thrill of battle, quenching a blood thirst more feral than anything yet seen, and he had never felt a feeling more acutely satisfying. The Skarmory was fiery death incarnate; he was enveloped in an inferno of pure feeling; consequence and worry had evaporated like a storm cloud in a windy sky, and what matter was it that his opponent had begun glowing intense crimson…?

Before he could register reality, the Skamory was ruthlessly blown away like a rag doll. His head began swimming, his vision blurry, and every vein in his body filled with such pain as he had never felt before. As he struggled to resume reality, an intense cyan light blinded him, and he was forced to close his eyes yet again. His very mind screamed in protest as he forced it to work; but finally he regained mental focus, if not physical control.

The rage of a dragon, as he would (the pain) have instantly seen had he maintained his guard, was no (please just let me die and escape this fire) child’s play, but this had been a very unusual case. Pegasus had (this agony is too much) evidently released his fury in a massive inferno, as dragons were apt to do, and he had no choice but to hover in the greatest fire storm in history, enduring beyond endurance an unbearable agony.

At last, it ended, releasing Decessus, who plunged twenty feet into the volcano’s core and his own exhaustion before overcoming his fatigue.

The Skarmory charged at his opponent in restless determination, as the Dragonair opened his mouth in a feral snarl, reddish flame licking at the back of his throat; but before the first shreds of panic could dawn on Decessus’ face, the radiation from Pegasus’ cyan orbs flickered, and the dragon’s grace faltered, forcing him to swoop uncontrollably down before zooming in chaotic, disoriented swirls. Pegasus’ flames misfired; his weak attempts at offense came down upon him, confusing him even more. After such events, as Decessus was glad to see, a dragon would unfailingly lose his wits for some time. It seemed to be that the Skarmory’s opponent had placed the fate of the entire battle upon his rampage. How… foolish.

Decessus shot more luminous stars at the pitiable dragon, watching lazily as they tossed Pegasus about like a cloth. His logical self stared in disbelief; Decessus, the Razor Wit, was playing with his opponent, leaving room for error. What had the world come to?

What is the worst that could happen? he asked himself, fully reassured by the wretch before him, flailing hopelessly about. Yet, despite his efforts, there was something wrong. As Decessus turned lax, lowering his guard, some primordial alarm seemed to go off inside his head; he simply hovered there, his confidence descending into doubt, deepening into discomfort and even terror, as the silence stretched on…

Within an instant, the writhing serpent became a flash of white light, burying itself into the tiny gap between two of Decessus’ scales, knocking the breath out of him.

Pegasus had performed the Swellow’s Dart, the greatest maneuver ever managed by a wind rider, and despite those kinds of moves being ineffective to his type, Decessus was literally blown away by the impact. Perhaps it had been the hours of training which Pegasus had done in his private quarters – how Decessus knew of this was beyond most – or the element of utter surprise he had gained and handled so well, which had given him such power. In any case, the battle would not last long now – Decessus would make sure of it.

Decessus spread apart his wings, releasing millions of tiny shards of metal which embedded themselves into Pegasus’ body; great spheres of flame shot out at deadly speed, whipping through the air like a thousand lethal will-o-wisps; cold fury clashed with infernal wrath in a fearsome death match, as pillars of fire and razors of steel ripped through the air with not a shred of order. Every miniscule falter was taken advantage of, and every movement had a purpose. Discord was no longer a looming fear; it had come, and it would end only with demise. And through it all, molten lava roared up all around them with increasing ferocity, making a perfect arc before landing on the opposite side, caging them within an altering dome –

Suddenly, an impossible idea struck Decessus’ mind. It was such a task – and yet, if he managed it, the outcome would be swift and complete…

Finally, he was decided. Erecting barriers around himself, he harnessed the power of his element, and made the necessary alterations within the metal traces in the lava above them. Gathering nuggets of molten steel, Decessus began to remotely form an impenetrable formation, oblivious to the confusion around him. A minor twist here, and another there… and finally he was done. Every fibre of his being thrumming with excitement, he placed his creation precisely where it was needed –

A great pillar of lava diverted from its course and fell upon Pegasus, moving faster than light to meet its prey. Before anything could be registered, the dome was filled with miasmas of oddly milky smog, blinding Decessus. Odd cyan lights seemed to flare out from all around him, placing him in utter confusion. He could yet hear a great struggle ensuing somewhere, and, finally, it was silent.

As the mist cleared, Decessus saw a sight which he had never seen before. All around him, droplets of cold, lucid water were pouring from seemingly nowhere, rushing to their doom in the lava chamber below. The rain seemed to be thinning, but the job was done.

The dome of roaring flame above them had become a hemisphere of red-hot rock, and the pillar assaulting Pegasus had mimicked the dome. There was confused silence for a few moments, and then, with a resounding BOOM, the pillar blew apart, revealing a shaken but unharmed Pegasus.

Of course! How could he have forgotten? A Dragonair’s greatest strength was his mastery of the weather. Pegasus’ cobalt orbs had instinctively done something which even Decessus could not have conceived.

Pegasus turned to Decessus. He seemed prepared to commit a great maneuver, but the silence seemed to stretch on, as Decessus’ fears seemed to do the same. What was it that he would see? He knew it was dangerous to intervene.

A low hum resounded across the acoustic dome, multiplying and amplifying, until it seemed to be a many-headed entity, looming up just out of sight, yet seeming all the more dangerous all  the same. Decessus felt pure adrenaline flood his veins like liquid flame, as he rose up in anticipation and dread; suddenly –

- a low thud wracked the volcano, as Pegasus’ figure shook violently, every atom threatening to destabilize in an awe-inspiring explosion; Decessus understood instantly, effecting his countermeasures.

THUD.

A wavering, invisible thread of shadow wound itself around the two opponents, a mournful dirge speaking of loss and despair and cold-hearted vengeance, stretching across space and time and the very boundaries of mortality –

THUD.

More threads complemented this, guiding it, controlling it, weaving a requiem symphony which bound the two inextricably together…

THUD.

A final strand secured the connection, a slithering abyss of pure, hateful shadow, trapping Pegasus like a spider traps its prey –

BOOM.

Decessus felt an irresistible tug, and, as Pegasus flew like a zooming arrow around their volatile battlefield, he was pulled along, past the shattered pillar of stone, through the lava tunnel, through the faint pop of the sonic boom, into the acidic air outside the volcano and back in through another spidery duct, into a dreamlike doom spiral around their prison, and, as Pegasus halted, exhausted, Decessus slammed into his fatigued body, binding him in the despairing chains of shadow which had pulled them together, delivering a blow more terrible than any his wings could have given –

Decessus glided triumphantly as his opponent’s lifeless body fell into the lava chamber, swallowed by fiery death.

His vision began to waver; out of the corner of his eye, objects began to lose colour and even shape, and then suddenly –

- He was standing, winded but thoroughly exhilarated, in a navy blue room, the excited face of a Persian looking in from the only Plexiglas window to his right. As Decessus exited the Virtual Reality room, the Persian spoke. The tone was unmistakably female, but it had some deepness and boldness in it.

“Congratulations, sir! As far as we know, you’ll be ready to fight him the next time you face your rival.”

“Thank you, Ardis,” said Decessus; “I see that our technicians have loaded the creativity engines. I certainly did not expect VR Pegasus’ last trick.”

“Oh, yes,” Ardis replied, stroking her long whiskers pleasantly, as if Decessus had given her a personal compliment. “This will most likely be the first of many enhancements to come. By the way, sir, are you sure you want to keep the pain processors on? It looked pretty nasty out ther - ”

But Decessus’ eyes flashed dangerously, and Ardis quickly stopped. She wasn’t foolish.

“I do not fear pain, Ardis, I am sure you’ve understood that. I sent a team of Sableye to search for the Gem in the desert of Narkesa. How are tidings?”

“Well, sir, they haven’t reported yet, but I’ll contact them.”

Ardis pawed up the metallic floor to a chrome fixture attached to the wall, her curved tail raised high behind her. The ruby-red charm on her forehead glowed briefly, and a few buttons depressed themselves, initiating a hologram in the middle of the large room walled with monitors and control panels. A very odd creature appeared, dark purple, with literal diamond eyes. He spoke in a sneaky, underhand voice.

“Hey, boss,” the Sableye said, his pointed, double ears twitching, “what’s up?”

“Do you have any leads?” Decessus asked, emotionless as always, though he burned with anticipation inside.

His Cheshire grin widened, until it threatened to rip apart his wide, pointed face. “Oh, you won’t believe me when I tell you, that’s how big it is. Yes, sir, we have a lead!

“You see, the moment we got here, we knew there was something here. It’s the kind of thing only a Sableye can sniff out, you know what I mean?”

“Yes, I understand that foul creatures like you have your equally foul means. Continue.”

The Sableye’s maniacal grin slid off his face, then came back on, just as quickly. “Well, sir, we found what seems to be a whole mine of diamonds! Sparkling, fully cut gems, as far as the eye can see! And we can see pretty far, mind you – but anyway, in the very middle, there was a great big emerald with something written on it.”

“What was it?” Decessus said sharply, his patience failing.

“It was really small, and it was written in some other language, far as we know, but the symbols were legible. Still, the amount of bother we had, trying to figure out what it said – “

“What was it?” Decessus repeated, a bit louder.

“It was apparently a poem. We got the first words, Earcken libris verita or something like that. No idea whether it’s the secret of the universe or some yarn about a Trickster with a bag of bones. Well, I’ll leave you two masterminds to figure it out. Later, boss!”

And at that, the hologram vanished, leaving the room to sink into silence.

“Proven shall be the worth of the seeker,” Ardis translated, her voice a perfect contrast of their visitor.

BTW, guys, don't compare me to Naphe, at least. You should recollact the commisions of your acuaintaces.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 06:38:25 AM by .:Pyroken Serafoculus:. »

Rep:
Level 88
Gone.
My favorite pokemanz is Skarmory. Good work, dont listen to the others because there on drugs, they also want a pepsi. Rolfz my Wofflez
Good Bye. RMRK you were cool while I wasn't there.

Rep:
Level 88
*zombies around*
Hmm! I like. A few words are out of place/unneeded.
For instance:

The volcano stuck out of what had once obviously been a desert, but it had now gone beyond wasteland and could be only described as a very branch of hell.

very - isn't needed. Read aloud to understand what I mean. o.o
But nicely done. ^^

Snailer <3

Rep:
Level 88
Morris Lawry: I believe GilgameshRO and Zypher have a point, it's just too high for us mortals to understand. (To clarify, I don't mean that in an offending way to anyone.)

Revanica: I was using "very" to bridge the gap between an earthly land and the unearthly desolateness that is Hell, actually. Something along the lines of "a branch of hell itself".

... it took some time to work out just what the word symbolized in that context.

Rep:
Level 88
Yay, CHAPPIE 2!

Rediscovery

Chapter 2

I have seen the passing of eons, the rise and fall of empires, the birth of a thousand species and the apocalypse of a million, but nothing has diverted my mind from the sudden grief of that hated moment, or dulled the cruel blade of anguish which stabbed into my very soul as I saw my lovingly nurtured flame of fertility extinguished with the force of a single people. Every surrounding memory seems to be a haze, a pointless dream without meaning or thought; a useless consolation of ordinariness around a scar of unmistakable unreality. I remember my recuperation after the fiasco at the Forest, in the timeless land of my people. I remember explaining the others of my kin, yet again, of my discoveries with the very heart of the Lesser people; how they may commit terrible mistakes, and yet, their spirit could be truer than even ours. I can still recall my exact words.

“You cannot base your notion of a people by your first impression alone, Enyil, we have long known this. My human captor was, in fact, one of the vilest criminals of their race. I have seen, however, that within their cynical façade, a pure being lies deep inside. They can be a great people, Enyil, they wish to be. They lack only the light to show them the way. Our vanity has blinded us from the truth long enough, and it is high time we overcome our ego, lest it prove our doom. If only you had seen the bravery of those three humans and their Pikachu companion… I can never lose faith in any of those beings, now that I have seen purity, without adulteration or cover. Given a chance to grow and a guiding hand, they may become something greater than even us. Let me be the hand. Allow me some millennia. If I fail even then, you may restrict me however you wish.”

Those words had meant so much to me. It was my life’s work, to transcend their unremarkable exterior and touch the catalyst of radiance which lay within them. Alas, if I had prepared myself for the harshest of my tribulations in the way to this goal… My delight at the others’ reluctant agreement has faded to indifference over time, and my teleportation into the Lesser realm, usually a great personal favourite of mine, means nothing to me now; it has, perhaps, melded with the tattered remains of my hope and deliberation. It seems manifold more likely, of course, that it has simply lost its charm like a twinkling star behind a dreary cloud, eclipsed by its neighbour’s magnitude. And thus, everything before it seemed to pass as a dream.

The visit itself, however, can only be described with one word: placid.

I had checked the many corners of time yet again, to see to it that all was well, but I had never readied myself for the worst, optimistic as I was. I remember confirming the safety of my newfound Lesser friends, verifying the status of some of my dearest oaken creations (and inadvertently causing it to overflow with bounty by my sheer joy); I even remember my thoughts as I traversed space and time to the enigmatic land of New Orre, which had begun to shed its desert exterior and don newer, more fertile apparel.

It was my pride and joy, a budding rose which gave promise of unfurling in full bloom. It lay northwest of Orre itself, and possessed a few points of interest which had once been Orre’s, particularly the lush forest-island which humans referred to as Agate. New Orre had been mainly unexplored by humans, which had allowed the few resident Pokèmon to take what was rightfully theirs; they had even created a collective society with organization rivaling human government.

The principle difference between human systems and their own administration, however, was the balance of power; their fledgling country consisted of an all-powerful, albeit well chosen, government, and it was a mark of my own hypocritical vanity that I did not recall the famous words: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who will guard the guards?

The leader had resigned, overcome by age, and had chosen an ambitious young Skarmory as his successor, claiming, as I did so often, that he had seen the first strokes of greatness within the avian. I had worried little; these shifts of power happened often with mortal organizations, yet I knew myself of the streaks of potential corruption within his future greatness. Why had I neglected my duty, why had I failed to secure the future of this wildcard, before his destiny was inerasably recorded within the books of time?

I can still recall how I thought of my future labours; how I would lovingly care for these new, impressionable creatures, how I would look back at my sufferings, once my ‘pupils’, so to speak, were well on their way to greatness, and laugh. Could I have detected even the first foreboding traces of disaster, as I brought about the reactions necessary for me to fast-forward to a century after the initial decision? I had already begun to sense certain foreshadows as I calmed the vortex of viridian around me, my portal back into the lands of material. Vague shades of darker green around me; brief moments of complete lack of color, as if my very senses were failing, like broken-down specimens of human machinery. Even the sense of innocent joy, supported by the life which had been radiating from all around me moments before, seemed to waver, far from death, but alarmingly weak all the same.

I twirled my feeler-like antennae, bathing myself in a bluish glow, but despite my subconscious efforts to dull what I knew was inevitable, my journey was ending. A flash of pure white; a falling mist, engulfing me, flaring in density before clearing at unnatural speed –

Darkness.

A scene of utter desolation lay before me, poisoning its way into the very confines of my soul, diseased beyond recognition and repulsive beyond tolerance. I fell upon my knees before this abomination, devastated, and all my toil, all my ambitions of greatness, every single one of my hopes and dreams, seemed to be washed away with the overcoming winds of time, which I had worked so hard to control. Deadly, crackling threads of lightning whipped through the air, roaring out from their murky confines; great maelstroms of deadly wind converged and spiraled in chaotic structures, capable of leveling the greatest mountains; all around me, terrible embodiments of my uncontrollable wrath and sorrow rampaged freely, but I took no notice of them, enveloped in an agonizing cocoon of devastation. I let out my fury to the cold, unfeeling heavens, as a fearsome blast radius roared out from all around me, ravaging the remains of the low canyon in which I hovered; I noticed, with cold indifference, that my detonation had left not destruction, but life in its wake – nothing could have eased the shocked sorrow of that moment.

In a blur of crazed emotion, every feeling, every experience, every moment of crushing defeat and uplifting victory in my life, flashed before my eyes; I reflected how I had been infuriated, slandered, anguished in every way possible, but I had always forgiven, I had always hung on to the path of victory –

And it hit me, in one, blinding moment.

What was I doing, wallowing in my self-proclaimed defeat like the darker shades of the Lesser folk? I had a responsibility to manage; my very life’s work was laid out before me, and I was not improving the situation by moaning excessively of my devastation. This was nothing but a challenge, another hurdle which I had to face on my treacherous path – I would be insulting my very cause if I neglected my duty any further.

Resolved, I rose from my place.

I had a challenge to overcome.

*~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~*

Although few knew of its presence, the Intelligence Sector was one of the most important buildings in Ceroka, the realm of Decessus. Consisting of multiple steel and concrete steps, each acting as a floor, it was the finest example of Pokèmon architecture, with a heavy influence of modern Human corporate construction. A gargantuan strip of cadmium selenide gold rested upon a platform on the very top, capable of picking up the tiniest strains of electromagnetic radiation in which Psychic telepathy operated. Underneath it rested the Heralding Gem, a priceless ruby which translated the radiation into intelligible speech, guarded ceaselessly by every sort of sentry. To most, the building was an impressive sight; to some, it was much more, and to a few exceptions, it was just some random building that they had to guard for God-knows-what reason. Two examples of which were chatting lazily as they surveyed the long desert fields around the Sector, attempting to gauge the walking distance between their current resting place and the tall skyscrapers which constituted the other Sectors.

The two were almost identical, apart from a slight difference in size; they both seemed to wear golden masks, from whose single, strip-like visors, two red, glowing eyes flashed out, albeit rather more dully than they had apparently meant to be. Two pairs of insect wings sprouted out, one primary and one secondary, from a raised base at the top of the back, which was again outlined and decorated with gold. Their bodies were ovoid, like those of airborne insects, and coloured dull black, though with a decidedly faint sheen. Two short, stubby horns protruded from the gold-plated head; two insect arms came out from under the head, seemingly as purposeless as the horns.

The two Ninjask made an odd scene, their appearance depicting speed and sharpness; their mannerisms betraying the very opposite.

“Hey, Fen,” the smaller droned in a high-pitched, whiny voice, “How long do you reckon we’re going to have to guard this dumb place, anyways?”

Hey, Fong,” mocked the other, managing to perfectly imitate Fong despite his efforts at exaggerating, “How long do you reckon I’ll be stuck with this idiot who just can’t shut his trap?

“Sorry,” was the reply. He paused for an immeasurably brief period of time, then added, “It’s quite a distance, innit? From here to that Serfocton place?”

“Ah, but we’re Duo No. 600, Fong, always remember that,” Fen answered wisely. “And it’s Serafoculaton. What, you didn’t really think we’d actually die when we nearly got sliced in half, did you? That would be even more idiotic than you usually are.” Fen seemed pleased with himself, having had an opportunity to sound really smart, though he had donned a look of feigned annoyance.

“Oh, yeah, ‘cause we’re actually Shedinja who look like Ninjask. I almost forgot.”

Fen sighed, fully exasperated, and said, “Our point is to walk the doomed earth, spreading chaos and mayhem and stuff like that. Personally, I’d take death for you any day, but seeing as we’re both somehow immortal, we just have to work together and serve whichever evil force is reigning at the current point of time. And stop obsessing over random things, we’ve got a job to do! Anyone could have passed by here while your gigantic piehole refused to shut!”

“Sorry,” he repeated. He paused for an immeasurably brief period of time, then added, for the fiftieth time, “It’s quite a distance, innit? From here to that Serfocton place?”

“Idiot, how long will it take for you to notice that great big… whatchamacallit right in front of us?”

Surely enough, a very strange figure had appeared before them. It seemed to be constituted of the very shadow around it, and it slinked in the darker shades of its surroundings, neither liquid nor gas, but simply the absence of light. It had no form; none of the conscious senses could even begin to measure it, but somehow, its existence was as apparent as a creature of flesh and blood.

It spoke to them now, a voice of darkness, though with an unmistakable hint of maniacal humour.

“And what may you fine gentlemen be doing at this time of day?”

Fong was, as always, the first to speak. “We’re guarding, see? That means this place is off-limits, sorry!”

His voice held such absolute density that Fen would have slapped his forehead if he could have reached it.

“Can’t you shut up for two seconds, Fong?” he reprimanded, then said to the creature in what he hoped was an intimidating voice, “You’re not allowed to enter; this is prohibited ground! So don’t even think of trespassing, or else… or else – or else…”

“Or else what, precisely?” the creature said, bemused.

“Well, it won’t be very good for you!” Fen finished lamely.

“I see. Well, seeing as I can’t even hope to overcome the two of you – “ he acquired a tragic pose at this point, and held it for precisely the required amount of time, “I’ll have to initiate Plan B.”

Fen and Fong tensed visibly at this point.

“You see,” he continued, “I’ve found that if I stand precisely at 45.5791 degrees North, and 34.9075 degrees South, like so – “

And his form dissipated, reappearing two feet away from them –

“A massive, low-lying thermal will begin to rise, taking – “

The shadow solidified, taking the form of a gigantic Pigeot –

“– Yours truly – “

The Pigeot unfurled his wings magnificently,

“– Well on the path of victory.”

He began to rise, wings still outstretched, like an actor in a glorious play; as he rose further and further, the silence seemed to stretch on, threatening to break –

The Pidgeot flapped its wings, creating a gigantic sandstorm, and as he flapped upwards, the stasis was shattered; Fen and Fong broke out of their trance, and the peace which had permeated everything was now disordered chaos. A thousand golden stars whipped through the air; great desert entities joined the mad dance of the sand and the Pigeot amongst it all; shooting five-pointed stars every which way he could, Fen attempted to shout above the mayhem.

“Why did you even come here? Why did you even show yourself to us?”

“Oh, just to tell you -”

The stars were nearly upon him now –

“I don’t exist.”

As the stars assaulted him, his form exploded, strands of poisonous smoke bounding out from his nonexistent figure.

Precisely five minutes later, the Heralding Gem was gone, and in its place, in the tongue of the Order of Shapeshifters, a single message was scrawled.

“Fear the darkling shades of power, for they have come, and will end in only your demise.”

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Morris Lawry: I believe GilgameshRO and Zypher have a point, it's just too high for us mortals to understand. (To clarify, I don't mean that in an offending way to anyone.)

Revanica: I was using "very" to bridge the gap between an earthly land and the unearthly desolateness that is Hell, actually. Something along the lines of "a branch of hell itself".

... it took some time to work out just what the word symbolized in that context.

The correct way to get your point across would be the following -

The volcano stuck out of what had once obviously been a desert, but it had now gone beyond wasteland and could be only described as a branch of hell itself.

Although, personally, I would have said the following -

The volcano protruded from the barren wasteland; it was obvious that this place was once a desert, however, it now looked as if it originated from the very bowels of Hell itself.

Or something like that.

EDIT : Good luck with your writing! :)
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Rep:
Level 88
Tsunokiette: Thanks. Now that I look at it, it does seem misplaced. Thankfully, I've grown out of that style, so I only need to edit my other mistakes.

... Let me just post another chapter, now I'm at it.

Rediscovery

Chapter 3

“Forty perimeter guards,” Decessus stormed, strolling agitatedly across the stretch of sand in front of the Narkesa cave, “Forty perimeter guards, six dozen Psychic Barriers, twenty Murkrow sentry, hypersensitive infrared sensors on the interior and exterior of every floor, and it was all breached by a Ditto using elementary Ninjask trickery?”

“It was not a Ditto, sir;” Ardis replied, keeping up with her manager, “as I have already indicated, eyewitness guards claim it looked nothing like a Ditto – “

“And who are the nitwit guards who completely missed the shallow disguise? I’ll have them fired this instant – “

“Please, sir, we can work around this for the time being,” Ardis cut in, slightly desperate to calm Decessus. “Resident Alakazam can take the place of the Gem for now, and we can make do with the staff we have now – “

“Of course we can work around this, a five-year-old could manage that, but I demand an answer! Who is this thief? What is he? How skilled is he to elude Cerokan security with such apparent ease? How do we eliminate him? He obviously bided his time for this very moment, when I would be far from home; send word to halt all other intelligence processes until this creature is found.”

Decessus was apparently reverting back to his usual efficiency, and thus, Ardis gave a subtly relieved affirmation, and disappeared into the mammoth cavern behind them.

The Skarmory, having quenched his anger, proceeded to do the same, under the objective of deciphering more of the intriguing emerald which his Sableye had happened upon.

It had become apparent, from Decessus’ first entry within the cavern, that the leader of the expedition could not have made more of an understatement. The cave seemed to have been full of gems in roughly the same quality and quantity which the Sableye had described; the floor seemed to be so full of gems that, at many points, they made a rough carpet over which passerby were forced to traverse, and gigantic gems seemed to make unnatural (and, at points, supernatural) formations which were unmistakably handmade. However, the general idea which had been transferred to Decessus’ mind concerning the main emerald could not have been more off the mark.

The emerald in question was, in fact, the very back wall of the cavern, placed in an enormous alcove which could barely be detected. It took the shape of a gargantuan uprising of water, twisting and forking within itself to make an intricate, undecipherable pattern. Glittering, sapphire Vaporeon twisted gracefully throughout the elaborate system of pillars, painted with such breathtaking skill that they seemed to visibly jump out at the viewer; a single, beautifully serpentine Milotic wound its way along the hidden paths, calming the mind with its very appearance. Partially obscured behind the cobwebs of frozen, viridian water, the threads of emerald formed the letters of a calligraphy written in the very inner tongue of the Alakazam. It was not written to be very clear or easy to decipher, and thus it had taken Decessus and Ardis the efforts of an entire day to translate the “inscription”, so to speak, into the Common speech, but finally, they had the rough, ineloquent translation of what was very obviously a riddle.

“Tread cautiously down this ancient path,
For though the target well repays,
Deadly dangers wait to show their wrath;
The worth of the seeker they must appraise.
A message must well be conveyed:
Once started, this task cannot be eschewed;
Your work will never be betrayed –
Or else death none can elude.”

Decessus and Ardis had long trained themselves against fear, but these words unfailingly elicited an involuntary shudder from all who read them.

“Your noteworthy diligence has been tested,
And so has been your wit;
Yet more lies behind triumph crested.
Valor and power together are knit:
To brave rougher seas in the yonder
Is to gain power south of east;
And though you must never come to flounder,
Those around you certainly will, at least.”

The entire riddle was intriguing, to say the least, but the last four lines seemed to be the most absorbing. They had obviously come due to a metaphorical purpose, but Decessus’ intuition indicated something else, possibly geographical. For this reason, a large, detailed map of New Orre had been placed directly before the emerald, along with the translated result.

It was blatantly obvious that the riddle was referring to a sea or ocean; Decessus had also assumed, with moderate surety, that this certain sea lay to the desert’s southeast. He had spent the majority of his stay, therefore, on analyzing the eastern half of the Great Water – whoever had named the ocean deserved to be shot – he had also listed the possible maritime locations for reference.

“Myst Cave,” he muttered, reading out the name of a colony of Vaporeon, one of the locations which lay within the Water; “Wailord Bay -” an encircled body of water, whose residents were obvious both by their abode’s name and by their own appearance, “Cove of Imperia;” an area named for what lay inside it, according to speculations, before it was discovered that it housed a gigantic community of Magikarp, and “Fishnet Shore,” a Human location, and one which invoked no particular interest. At this point, he stopped, contemplating the locations which he had read.

Wailord Bay, which could have accommodated any number of hidden formations, seemed to be the most likely lead, but no region of the inlet held any particular association with the word ‘flounder’. Decessus made to analyze the rest of his leads, but a sudden thought halted him. Could it be –?

But, at that very point, a Sableye shrieked, and Ardis’ voice rang out.

“We have company – six Silica warriors, twelve o’clock!”

“What? This region has been untouched for centuries!”

Decessus flew outside to the cool night air, fire rushing through his mercury veins; brandishing gigantic glass clubs, half a dozen great Marowak leered out at him, bleached skulls contrasting against the deep blue behind them. In an instant, the Skarmory and the Persian fell upon their opponents; deadly shards of lethal glass flew through the air in chaotic spirals, slashing indiscriminately; cold, metal spikes joined the fray, as their creator lunged at his own target, blades flashing. Beside him was the summit of lethal elegance – Ardis bounded across the battlefield, erecting barriers around herself, slashing away with her deadly claws as she fell two warriors with one fearsome swipe.

Decessus and Ardis fought valiantly, but soon there was no alternative – they were outnumbered; with a great lunge, the partners-in-war broke off from the battle, rushing into the cave.

Inside there was a decided air of ordered chaos; though the panic in the air was palpable, a dull silence abounded, waiting to be shattered any moment. Finally –

- the outer wall fissured and cracked, and, with a resounding boom, six identical holes were driven into solid rock; Decessus darted to the newly formed windows, shooting rapid projectiles before ducking from a corresponding assault. Guerrilla warfare suited the Skarmory well, due to his efficient agility, but he was beginning to tire, and he was even hit once with his slowing reflexes. Where was Ardis? Decessus shot a quick glance behind him, and what he saw nearly disoriented him.

A cloud of smoke was thickening in the middle of the cavern, exuding tendrils of sulfur fume which twisted and spun to form odd, mystical figures and shapes. The tendrils began to constrict; for a single moment, Decessus almost recognized the form, and then, before he could grasp it, the entire cloud collapsed to form what seemed to be shadow incarnate.

“I suppose you were looking for me?” it said, oblivious to the commotion around it.

“Who are you?” Ardis demanded, but Decessus understood immediately.

Dodging a wayward club, the Skarmory spoke. “Yes, we were, in fact. What is your business in my kingdom?”

“Oh, actually, I see that this is a bit of a bad time,” he said, correctly analyzing the situation. “Should I wait a while? You see,” – a million glass shards streaked through him harmlessly – “I’m not in much of a hurry.”

The remaining Silica warriors had apparently combined their efforts, and were using some sort of battering ram to besiege the rapidly crumbling wall. Swearing, Decessus jumped back to the forefront, Ardis close behind.

Their visitor glided over to them, supremely unconcerned.

“Have you been out on the streets much, lately?” he asked casually, unperturbed by the jagged boulder which embedded itself in the ground beside him. “The locals aren’t too happy with the desolation that you keep putting in their homes. Someone should do something, they think. Well, they seek, and they receive!”

“You are a rebel?” Decessus ejaculated, narrowly missing a falling rock. He fired two carefully aimed spikes, watching as they embedded themselves perfectly in the respective warriors’ throats.

“I was wondering when you would realize. I was only a child -” his maniacal humour fell like a stone, exposing bitter anger –“when some of your men brutally murdered my parents. I was admitted into a covert Order, taught secrets which had never been seen by an outsider before; and now here I am, defiled, corrupted, deformed beyond recognition, but resolute in my duty.”

He quickly reverted to his usual manner. “Ah, but I see your little tussle is already ending.” And surely enough, only one Marowak remained of the militia which had besieged them.

With a single leap, Decessus knocked the warrior on his back and held a blade to his throat. “On whose orders did you come?”

“I d-don’t know!” the Silica soldier stuttered, at which Decessus’ blade twitched threateningly.

“I refuse to believe it,” the Skarmory snarled. “Answer me, and I promise you will never feel pain again.”

“All right! M-M-Merciful lord, it was our general, Kartet.” He gulped, shooting an apprehensive look at the cold metal at his throat. “Except – except he looked… darker… than usual. This is all I know, I swear!”

“I see.” And, in one fluid movement, Decessus brought his talon down on the Marowak’s prone neck; he spluttered, vomiting blood, and then fell limp.

“Do you feel any pain?” he whispered to his victim’s dead body. “I think not.”

The Skarmory walked back to the refuge, his job done.

The shadow-creature awaited Decessus at the cave’s mouth, not disturbed in the least.

“Well, I’ll be seeing you; it seems you have quite a lot on your plate. Oh, by the way – “ he nodded towards the riddle which had been abandoned long ago – “Pathetic creatures, aren’t they, Magikarp? All they do is splash around. Or, if you want to be eloquent, flounder.

And, at that note, he vanished in a flash of amethyst smoke.

Falling to the ground in lazy spirals was an outdated picture card. It displayed the picture of a young, innocent seedling, branching out in a determined fashion. It seemed to be in search of something great, adventurous and young and unfettered by the constraints of age. Its legend was written in ornate calligraphy, displaying the word ‘Growth’. As a cool breeze swept the cave, the card flipped over, exposing a message written in the same manner as that in place of the Heralding Gem.

Know this, that despite the purest innocence of youth, all paths lead to the way of corruption, and its end is a bitter end, indeed.
- Yours Truly, Carek, Order of the Shapeshifters, First Echelon
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:50:51 AM by .:Pyroken Serafoculus:. »

Rep:
Level 88
What, no one liked it?

Rediscovery

Chapter 4

An overcast sky leered out at Decessus as he skated the heavens above the Great Water, unfitting in every way – yet, perhaps, more similar to his surroundings than ever in his life. Iron-grey storm clouds hovered all around him like so many grim faces, as thunderous war-bugles played their rumbling notes, foreshadows of the proverbial (was it literal?) storm after the calm. Yet Decessus knew beforehand that these were empty threats; the only true storm lay far south of him, a continuous tempest of infinitely tall waves and impassable hailstorms which blocked exploration efforts beyond the sea.

The logical connection which Decessus had been trying so long to make, regarding the riddle, was instantly constructed when Carek had said the word “flounder”. His skepticism on the willingness of a known enemy to share such a secret was instantly quieted by his excitement and anticipation; for the first time in his life, he made no move to suppress the wave of feelings which had welled up before the invincible floodgates of his mind: he felt thrill, he felt pride; as he let the feelings pass, for once, unrepressed, unanalyzed, he had the distinct impression, for a millisecond, that he could sense fear…

What was the matter with him? With a deep breath, he calmed his emotions, giving his analytical mind the subject of his destination to contemplate, and, thus, allowing it to rise above his many dangerous selves. He knew precisely where to go; being a colony of Magikarp, those who flounder, the Cove of Imperia was the most inconspicuous place to hide the secret of the universe, and was therefore the perfect storehouse of natural power, waiting to be invoked by one with a deserving wit, or, at least, rewarding sources of information. It was an underwater cavern, devoid of all but some meager air-pockets; a certain Ludicolo had planned to meet Decessus at a miniscule island roughly above the cave. He had numerous men willing to do his work, but the Skarmory had always despised dependence on all but some select, reliable accomplices. He had decided to fly the entire way to the Cove singly due to this reason, though Ardis was Teleporting the distance, and he would have plunged into the icy grey waters encompassing his destination himself had he possessed the skill of amphibians.

It was rather odd that Carek had decided to assist the very one which had condemned him to his life. However much he racked his mind, only feeble theories came up to explain this; perhaps Carek was leading him to some more accessible position, but, no, that could not be correct – no living creature would find such a place more accessible than the very heart of Ceroka or Narkesa…

An earsplitting screech rang out all around him; stumbling, Decessus looked down to the strangest sight he had ever seen. Amidst the water below him, a gargantuan dike was beginning to form, a shapeless mass of liquid which threatened to rise above the tallest mountains and cover the world in its shadow. It swelled and rose with unnatural speed, and before Decessus could register anything but confusion, an enormous wall of water had formed in his way. The Skarmory swerved, flying almost vertically upwards at his greatest speed, but to no avail; it was nearing him, it was about to swat him like a cumbersome fly –

He braced himself, but no crushing wave of ice came upon him; as he looked around, Decessus saw that, once again, everything was perfectly normal.

The Skarmory continued to fly, shaken, but completely unhurt. As he swooped aimlessly, his mind racing, the cutting wind began to pick up speed, defying his wildest expectancies. He could not control it; as he hurtled through the air, pure panic filled his senses, and the dormant clouds sprung into life, as if they could sense the utter fear emanating from his figure and took it as a cue. A dreadful rumbling rose up all around him, and threads of luminescent light zipped from cloud to cloud, narrowly missing their captive; the zephyrs of deadly steel began gathering and spiraling around him in a mad dance of anticipation –

The greatest hurricane in all of creation burst into life, entombing Decessus in its eye.

He had not been brought here merely to be destroyed; what business, then, did this wrathful Titan of destruction have with a mortal like him? But he did not have far to look; all around him, wisps of silvery smoke were rising and formulating into characters in an epic play, dancing and interweaving among each other with an energy which Decessus had never understood; before he could bring himself to even perceive, let alone comprehend this symphony, everything became calm.

It was a dream, Decessus knew it was; everything before him went by in a haze, like an old, withered memory, and his mind seemed to grab upon irrelevant details and release them, allowing them to pass out of memory, fickle as a disdainful immortal. His vision was strangely blurred, and the happenings around him were distorted beyond recognition, but, with difficulty, he managed to infer that he lay in the middle of some sort of laboratory or hospital, surrounded by unidentifiable blurs. An intense light flared up in his vision, and, as he closed his eyes, blinded, pure white overtook him.

Decessus seemed to be observing the progress of a curving, twisting black line. As he gazed, mesmerized, the line wound its way upwards, gracefully forking in two, branching out in dizzying shapes and patterns. The line began to spread out in three dimensions, and as it formed its many figures, its progress seemed to mark the trail of a thousand symbols, irreproducible and inexplicable, yet purer than anything Decessus had seen before. As the last strands slowed their progress, Decessus looked out and viewed it for what it truly was.
Yggdrasil. The tree of the universe.

He wanted to examine this, to learn more of this power which he had never known, this deeper universe beyond the realm of mortals, but as he edged closer in eager curiosity, the graceful lines began to lose their elegance, splitting and fraying into a thousand jagged splinters. Decessus tried desperately to remember what he had seen, to imprint this forever in his memory, but it was falling away; the only recollection he had of the dream tree’s former glory was its existence. What he had now, in fact, was one of the foulest things he had ever seen; it was like a gnarled, thorny stump, but he knew instantly that it carried some sort of infection, some defiling contamination, which made its very sight revolting. Its crisscrossing, skeleton branches weaved a fetid net around him, blocking his vision, taunting him with feeble impressions of light. Suddenly, they retreated.

An enormous piece of glass engulfed his vision, reflective beyond explanation, so that nothing behind it could be seen. Its reflection, however, seemed obvious enough; it reminded Decessus, partially, of Takyos’ abode, bathed in its rosy glow. On any other occasion, he would have instantly taken this as wasted land, unused for more profitable industrial pursuits; at this moment, however, despite himself, he appreciated it for its beauty alone. Little happened at first, save the tiny flicks of the wildflowers under the lazy breeze, but, as he looked closer, tiny cracks were appearing; he suddenly realized that he didn’t want the mirror to break, he didn’t want to see what was behind it, but it was too late, the glass shattered…

A scene of utter desolation lay before him, and had he never seen something remotely like this, Decessus would have kneeled down at the spot. A dark valley overshadowed its own innards, containing mounds of putrid waste and pillars of noxious smoke, reminiscent of the wastelands surrounding the volcano in his Virtual Reality. An embodiment of the very shadow around him stalked the cracked earth, and, wherever its form touched the ground, an infection seemed to spread outwards, darker, even, than the badlands which it tainted. Suddenly, a blinding beam of golden light split the center of the creature’s formless form, permeating its very essence, and it spread outwards, forging waves of beautiful fertility, replacing acrid smoke with clean breeze, fractured earth with lush grass, toxic sludge with cool lake water. It seemed, in that glorious moment, that all the demons of the wastelands were rooted out and purged, and all the evils were forever vanquished, forced to die out or take forms which could never do harm again.

A voice spoke within him, a kindly, fatherly voice which Decessus had heard long ago, a voice which instantly brought comfort to every restless part of his mind. It was the only voice of simplicity among the metaphors and the complications, and it was the only to speak the simple truth.

“You have seen much today, young one, and there is no doubt that you desire all of it. But there are no shortcuts in the way of life; you must toil for enlightenment, for it is a difficult path indeed, but it alone shall give you what you long for.”

*~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~*

South of the many government Sectors of Ceroka lay a long, spread-out desert, devoid of water in even trace amounts, like most of the regions. It was not a topographically exciting land, consisting purely of constantly shifting sand dunes, but a large network of canyons had been dug out long ago by a currently extinct river, inconspicuous only by its remoteness. Even this fresh relief from the monotony of relatively flat sand was not terribly intriguing; it was a canyon, nothing more than that, and held not even a sight to please the eyes. It was, however, complex, and one unwary of the power of flight could easily be lost within the twisting tunnels. Rumor had it that Decessus himself occasionally visited this attraction as a training ground, for many complex tactics could be made in such a maze, but Cerokan rumors were never famous for their reliability, in any case. Greater beings generally regarded this landmark with diplomatic distaste.

It was a wonder, therefore, that something of great consequence occurred here, of all places. At exactly mid-noon, a flash of fire burst out from the topmost turret of the sandstone castle, and a creature of the most extraordinary regality graced the unworthy ground. A fine-boned snout was raised in the air, supported by a head containing a pair of fiery saffron eyes. A long, jagged mane curved downwards from between its two raised ears; nine majestic tails billowed in the desert air, protruding from a canine torso. A brilliant gold suffused the figure of this queenly vixen, glowing spectacularly in the sun.

The very earth would have to make way.

Queen Tryst had arrived.

The Ninetales paced the ground impatiently, apparently in irritated wait of something which was obviously below her. She did not have to wait long; in a few minutes, a sinister cloud formulated before her, and a familiar figure appeared.

“You’re late.”

Carek the Zangoose tested his violet claws, at the utmost ease. “A Shapeshifter in neither too late nor too early; he arrives precisely when he is needed.” He looked up. “Did you forget?”

“For that matter, a Shapeshifter is always true to his disguise. Zangoose habitually stay on all fours. Did you forget?”

“What, did you think I was actually trying to trick you? I follow protocol only as long as it makes sense. Don’t flatter yourself.”

“You realize that I am fully capable of cursing whoever I wish? I am this close to doing it.” Her eyes flashed dangerously. “If you do not stop beating around the bush, I will.”

“Ooh, I’m so scared,” Carek said sardonically, holding a hand to his ginger scar. “Have you made the arrangements?”

“Of course I have. I still do not understand why this joke of a Skarmory is so notorious.”

“What planet do you come from, lady?” For the first time in the conversation, Carek showed actual surprise.

“As a matter of fact, I come from the human realm of Kanto.” She gave an odd glance at Carek, as if daring him to laugh.

He did.

“Human!” he teased, fully rubbing it in. “Really? What would your human masters think if they saw you like this? Those sages, who, erm, created you?”

Tryst showed no visible signs of anger, though her tails tensed considerably. “That is human nonsense, Carek, and you know it. Should I curse you now? You would be quite free of it by the end of the next millennium.”

“No, I think I’ll settle for getting to business. Your job now is to give Decessus as much trouble as possible. Just don’t give him anything long-lasting. And keep reminding him of the state of his kingdom.”

The Ninetales took this all in, unquestioning. “And what will you be doing?”

“That’s a secret left to me.”

“I, need I remind you, am a collaborator, not a servant. If, for one second, I see that you are keeping secrets from me, I must say that the deal is off.”

“All right, all right, keep your mane on. While you’re busy maintaining the offense from the outside, I’ll be weakening ties inside Decessus’ government, sending him certain subliminal messages, attacking him from the inside. If we work in coordination, he should crumble in exactly the way I want.”

“I see.”

There was a brief silence, in which the two conspirers contemplated their work. Then:

“I still can’t get over the fact that you actually mixed with humans!

“Don’t be an idiot, Carek, I lived in a forest far from any human. They were too busy telling each other how a giant three-headed monster resided in the woods.”

“Yes, but still…”

Tryst turned away, mulling over the distant sun. “Humans are actually not as frail as you consider them to be.”

“Oh, really?” Carek’s voice was dripping with sarcasm.

She ignored the comment, and said slowly, “I have seen, in fact, that some of their weapons are extraordinarily EFFECTIVE!”

She wheeled around, and, in an explosion of fire, a dozen silver daggers burst out from all around her, whizzing lethally out to the Zangoose’ prone form; twelve golden broadswords formulated out of thin air and parried the daggers, dissolving into the desert air as quickly as they came.

“Dance of the Zangoose. Elementary. So much so, in fact, that I’m seriously beginning to doubt your intelligence. Did you really think a human dagger would defeat one of us?”

Suddenly, the broadswords reappeared and assaulted the Ninetales; she responded with her own rapiers, but only Zangoose themselves knew the skill of sword fighting; Carek soon had her pinned against a wall.

“I don’t trust you,” he said. “But I suppose the plan can’t go on without you. Anyways, the incentive is enough to have you on my side for as long as I want. If something happens to me, I won’t be able to do my side of the deal. That alone should effectively stop you from any homicidal thoughts.”

Carek’s broadswords instantly disappeared.

“Remember, Tryst,” he said, saluting, “if you comply, the rewards are great. If you don’t, well, you’ll have to see for yourself. Just remember that you’re not the only one who can lay a curse.”

And, with that, he disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
No offence, but you expect me to read all that?!  ::)

Rep:
Level 88
... Well, it's your choice. If it's too lengthy, you can just... not read it. But you'll be missing out on the cooler parts.