RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VX] Dungeons and Tantrums

Rep:
Level 74
Victory, not Vengeance.

Game Description - Dungeons and Tantrums is a fantasy RPG set in a nation rife with instability and conflict. Its central theme is the political intrigue that is present in such a bleak landscape, with several factions vying for control in a grand city torn apart by its ruler.

Dungeons and Tantrums is a sandbox title with an emphasis on exploration and player choice, but with a strong storyline backing it up. The actions of the player will decide the fate of various characters and factions, shaping the game world as he/she sees fit.

As the title would imply, this project contains elements of humour but is definitely not a parody game. Characters will not always mix well together and some of their dialogue can become quite sarcastic and bad language is a possibility. Player discretion is advised. :)

Story
Spoiler for "Story":
The nation of Darkmourne is suffering under the rule of a corrupt monarch. There is talk of religious war spreading to the neighbouring country of Zimala as King Wolfbane II seeks to spread his influence beyond his borders, and his subjects riot in the streets in protest of this drastic decision.

Due to the King's relative youth and inexperience, Darkmourne is run largely by a council known as The Praesidium. Comprised of the heads of various guilds and factions, they make the daily decisions and carry out the King's will. The people know them as little more than enforcers and support for the local guilds has declined as a result.

Darkmourne was once a paradise but has recently fallen into disrepute due to this instability and conflict, but one force hides within the shadows in service to the kingdom. Viewed as little more than traitors and vagabonds, The Family hold the majority of the political power in the capital city. They have spies within every institution and have bonded together under one banner in order to regulate crime and keep the country running smoothly.

South of the city, a young girl has signed on with a local merchant to serve as bodyguard on his expedition to the capital city. She sleeps soundly in the Royal Arms Inn, unaware of the role she is going to play in the salvation of the Kingdom . . .

Characters
Spoiler for "Characters":
Melody - Melody is the chief protagonist of Dungeons and Tantrums. She is a seventeen year old girl who has recently left the safety of her hometown in order to seek her fame in the capital city. She has signed on with a local merchant as he travels to the city, along with a stranger calling himself Rudy.

Rudy - Rudy is a self titled ladies man, and proud member of The Family. He has signed on with a local merchant to act as bodyguard, much to the dismay of Melody who views him as nothing but a sleazeball who is trying to get in her pants.

Screenshots
Spoiler for "Screenshots":
Dungeons and Tantrums features a side view battle system.
Spoiler for:

Select your class and develop your party as you see fit.
Spoiler for:

Serious moral choices. :P
Spoiler for:

What game would be complete without arrogant villains?
Spoiler for:

Meaningful character interaction.
Spoiler for:

Craft your own weapons using materials you have mined or gathered from fallen enemies.
Spoiler for:

Features
Spoiler for "Features":
A system based on choices and character development. You shape the world and see it change around you based on your decisions.

You are given a choice of three classes, a complex weapon crafting system and skill stores which are unlocked through questing. Diverse character development is the key focus of Dungeons and Tantrums!

A storyline filled with political intrigue that changes depending on your alliegances and enemies. Which guilds will rise and which will fall? You decide.

A projected play time of over 30 hours across three chapters. This is enhanced by a plethora of sidequests which can be completed in any order with a large number of alternative paths, endings and rewards.

Credits
Spoiler for "Credits":

Monster Graphics:

Lufia 2

Character Sprites:

D.M - http://www.geocities.jp/dmdottostore/tckool/framepage.html

Icons:

Whitecat -http://whitecafe.sakura.ne.jp/material.html

Scripts:

Yanfly
Modern Algebra
Shanghai
Sky00Valentine

Music:

Kevin Macleod - http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/

Now, for the important part . . . The playable demo.

Demo version: 0.4 (Beta edition, updated 2/04/12)
The demo covers the first hour of gameplay and should be considered a work in progress.
There are a number of secrets hidden with the demo. Can you find them all?
Please report any bugs or suggestions in this topic. :)
Download Link -Mediafire - Version 0.4
RpgMaker.net - Version 0.4

More information can be found on my Development Blog where I will be posting updates on the progress made on the final version! :D

I hope you enjoy playing Dungeons and Tantrums even half as much as I'm enjoying making it. :P
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:12:31 PM by Thnap »

Also, check out my Development Blog!

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
Looks Good ;D

I'll give this a play later in the day (I've got Uni in an hour) ;9

Anyway, as a slight suggestion, you may want to change the title of game.
Whether you are aware or not, there is an actual game series called 'Tales of ...' 

You probably don't want to associate your game with a commercial series unless you're making a fan-based game of it. Just my thoughts.

I will give feedback on the actual game later though :)
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Rep:
Level 74
Victory, not Vengeance.
Looks Good ;D

I'll give this a play later in the day (I've got Uni in an hour) ;9

Anyway, as a slight suggestion, you may want to change the title of game.
Whether you are aware or not, there is an actual game series called 'Tales of ...' 

You probably don't want to associate your game with a commercial series unless you're making a fan-based game of it. Just my thoughts.

I will give feedback on the actual game later though :)

Thanks for your comment. I actually forgot about the "Tales of . . ." series, and right from the beginning I considered Tales of Darkmourne a working title anyway. I am currently making a couple of minor tweaks to the demo, so when I upload the next version it will have a new title. Thank you for pointing that out to me. :D

Rep:
Level 82
The only issue with using 'Tales of...' is that for most people it will remind them of the actual 'Tales of...' series and they may have the preconception of it being a fan game based on the series. It's good that you're open to changing it. Sometimes, the best title comes when you finally finish the game and realise there's something else that can provide a clue to the game's story/purpose.

Anyway, I've downloaded it, and I'll give it a test play soon.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

Rep:
Level 74
Victory, not Vengeance.
The name has been changed. :)

Version 0.3 has been uploaded, but all that has been changed since the original time of posting is the choice of music throughout the demo and the title of the project. If you have already downloaded it there are no other significant changes, so there's no need to download it again.

Rep:
Level 60
So you went from "Tales of..." to "Dungeons and..." okay. :P

Anyway, we played through the 0.2 demo that you posted, and overall, we were impressed. The battle system, in particular, was quite well-configured and fun to play. There were some problems with balance, though, in our opinion; for instance, as the game progressed some, we found that we never had any less than 20 Healing Herbs at any given time, making any fight cake (more or less). Give some more thought to the drop rate on those, perhaps limiting them to being dropped by some of the tougher enemies.

Your mapping could use some work, too; overall, we found the style pleasant, but you have a tendency to create interiors with one-tile-high ceilings that use two-tile-high decorations... which just doesn't look good, honestly. We don't have a problem with the one-tile-high ceilings, but try to make sure that your decorations and such aren't larger than the actual ceiling itself is. :P

Admittedly, we were also surprised at how linear the progression in the game was considering you are aiming for a "sandbox" style. Just something to think about (although the different paths that can be taken with the main quest were certainly welcomed).

Overall, very nice job. We had a lot of fun playing through what was there for about an hour, which is not a bad length at all for an early demo. Good luck! :)

Rep:
Level 74
Victory, not Vengeance.
The name is an obvious play on words. :P It still isn't set in stone, but I'll stick with it for now. I can always make a concrete decision when the development is farther along and I have a better idea of the direction my project has taken.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll definitely take a look at the amount of healing herbs available, as this was actually an issue I noticed before releasing the demo. But I wasn't sure if that was because I knew where to find all the hidden items and I also know the numbers vary depending on the chosen class. Out of interest, which class did you pick? I find that when I choose Warrior I consume far less herbs than with the other two classes. I might limit the number a little, perhaps changing the drop rate as currently each of the bandits have a 1/2 drop rate of Healing Herbs.

The demo is very linear, I admit. But I have made an extra hour and a half beyond the end of the demo and it opens up a lot more when you reach the city. The nearby villages also open up at this time and you get a lot more freedom. The demo simply introduces the main villains and establishes the character's background. :) The decisions you make in the introduction also contribute greatly to the storyline later in the game.

Thanks for playing, and for your feedback. It is much appreciated. :D

Rep:
Level 60
Admittedly, we played as a Warrior. Seemed the most logical choice, especially given how skills work in your battle system. ;)

And we had a feeling that the game would open up more in the city, given the guilds and such. We'll download the 0.3 version and try playing as a different class to see how they balance out. :)

Rep:
Level 74
Victory, not Vengeance.
I also find the Warrior easier to play than the other classes, but I'm currently buffing the other classes to reach a similar level of power. They both become a lot stronger at later levels as their more powerful skills are unlocked.

I'm having a lot of fun creating the Guild quests in particular, and they're becoming a lot more complicated than I originally planned. The main problem I'm finding with RPG Maker is keeping my imagination in check and not letting it run away with me. :P

Let me know how it goes. Any and all feedback is welcome, as right now I'm very much open to changing the introduction. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, unfortunately.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
The name of this game (and the demo) pleases me, Keep up the great work!

EDIT Ack, I started the game and i was stuck on what seemed to be a test map, also where do you get your music from?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:17:08 AM by IAMFORTE »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
New title is pleasing. I'm concerned, though, that perhaps it's a bit comical for the story you're telling; I don't know, I haven't played it yet.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 74
Victory, not Vengeance.
The name of this game (and the demo) pleases me, Keep up the great work!

EDIT Ack, I started the game and i was stuck on what seemed to be a test map, also where do you get your music from?

Okay, that was embarrassing. The demo has been reuploaded and added to the original post. That wasn't a testing map, it was actually the final map of the demo. Oops :P I placed the character start there to fix a problem with the music on that map and must have forgotten to put it back. This is why I shouldn't use RMVX at 3am...

The download should work now. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for bringing it to my attention! >.<

I credited the source of my music in the original post, but it's by Kevin Macleod :) His website is http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/

@EvilM00s, thanks :) The game is serious in nature but a lot of the characters are quite sarcastic. The protagonist in particular . . . So I think the title is in keeping with the tone of the actual game. But it isn't set in stone anyway; the title is something that can be changed right at the end of the development process if needs be. Thanks for your feedback! :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 10:15:46 AM by Thnap »

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Alrighty! I'll download it and play the pants off it tonight :P
My apologies for not reading the first post 100% XD

EDIT So I played and ran into a few errors
Spoiler for:
-Quest with Chuck and sikhbar allows me to complete both options fo killing chuck then coming back and telling him sikbar is dead
- attempting to go down traitors path comes up with what looks like a formatting error tobias's name doesnt apear properly
after finding that guy with the mowhawk the game crashed because it couldnt find BGM field 03

Then i stopped playing, What i've seen so far I've enjoyed immensly, I especially like how the enemies apear on the map and there arent any random encounters.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:50:29 PM by IAMFORTE »

Rep:
Level 74
Victory, not Vengeance.
So many stupid mistakes . . .

Thank you for noticing them. They've now been fixed and a new demo has been uploaded. :D

Glad you enjoyed the parts you played. :)

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
I finally got around to playing the demo.

Spoiler for Commenting as I play:
I will comment as I play it.

I'm loving this music I'm hearing :) and I love that the player seems to respond to almost any NPC I talk to, makes it more involved for me.

Oh my goodness... I love you, this is seriously the first indie game I played besides my own where someone has used map monster encounters rather than random battles, ahh my joy is fierce.

This battle theme against the bandits is not good, you definitely need to put in some music here that hypes up the player... This is way too relaxing in my opinion.

Don't ask why, but this forest BGM makes me think of someone doing the moonwalk ;8

Something I just noticed... When Melody is facing sideways, her hair strand makes it look like she has a beard.... ???

Why does this girl NEVER run :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:o Just noticed the teleport system you've set up, wonderful idea ;D

Choice to kill ex-bandit or don't... Screw it, kill that bastard :mad:

Holy wow, you even gave the choice of rescuing Tobias or taking a reward... REWARD for me, fuck that old guy :D

:o Talking to the guards... I can apply for work here...!!! Awesome.

END OF DEMO ;9

My Conclusion:
For goodness sake please change that battle music, it's fine for the first four or five battles, then it just becomes obnoxious ;9

The music you use for the locations I have visited are brilliant, they fit the locations well and it makes me like the game more.

Your mapping skills are excellent, the forest and the cave look well put together... However I can see a few butterflies that don't seem to move at all, and those bandits sure are messy.

The eventing is another thing I must applaud. The NPCs seem to be very interactive with the player (at least for the first time you talk with them), and the puzzles (Or Puzzle in this case) was very good... However, a rope ladder over a pool of lava seems a little farfetched for me (even in an RPG world).

The choices you get to make have also impressed me. I killed the ex-bandit and allowed Tobias to remained captured (Because Fuck that guy :mad:). Someday when I can be arsed, I'll have to play again and choose those other options, and see what happens.

Why does this girl NEVER run... I hold 'shift' and she walks just as slow as ever... This is not good on your large maps. :'(

I like the idea of the teleport system you've set up, but until it actually becomes useful (ie your demo is much longer and has many more maps), I can't give an honest opinion on it.

You may want to fix some of the windows that are being displayed. I had to focus to read this option and that is generally not a good thing to have in a game.
Spoiler for:

Finally we come to the battles... I didn't view the tutorial for the battles, but when I can't use skills straight off the bat it kinda urks me, especially when I was constantly being involved in battles with those bandit gunners :mad: :mad: :mad:

And I love you for using map monster encounters rather than random battles, at least in your game I know when I'm going to be battling something rather than the randomness of it, up to the point where it starts pissing me off.

You probably know how to do this already since you're pretty good at eventing, but in future, if you would like to make the monsters you encounter to be random but still encountered on the map, I did a tutorial for this.
And it also shows how to make a monster return to the screen naturally, which is something I didn't see in your demo.

I score your demo an 8/10, I will definitely play the next demo you release ;)
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

Rep:
Level 74
Victory, not Vengeance.
Wow, thank you! This kind of feedback is so useful to me. :D I'll address each part individually.

Quote from: D&P3
I finally got around to playing the demo.

Thanks for taking the time to play it ;) It actually means a lot that people are willing to do so with the sheer number of demo projects available. Each and every download is genuinely appreciated, especially if people take the time to give detailed feedback like yours!

Spoiler for Long Quote :P:

I'm loving this music I'm hearing :) and I love that the player seems to respond to almost any NPC I talk to, makes it more involved for me.

The music is indeed brilliant. I listened to the content on Kevin Macleod's website and was blown away by its quality. I wish I was that talented. :P

Oh my goodness... I love you, this is seriously the first indie game I played besides my own where someone has used map monster encounters rather than random battles, ahh my joy is fierce.

Thanks. I love you too ;) Random battles are a pet peeve of mine, so there was no possible way I was about to include them in my project. :P

This battle theme against the bandits is not good, you definitely need to put in some music here that hypes up the player... This is way too relaxing in my opinion.

It's funny you should say this, as between uploading the newest version of the demo and you posting this feedback the battle theme has actually changed. It's less industrial than the last one and more in keeping with the tone of the project. I might use that music for something else, but for battles it just began to get on my nerves.

Don't ask why, but this forest BGM makes me think of someone doing the moonwalk ;8

Michael Jackson isn't featured in Dungeons and Tantrums, I'm afraid. But this is an interesting comment. :P

Something I just noticed... When Melody is facing sideways, her hair strand makes it look like she has a beard.... ???

Cannot... Unsee... ;_;

Why does this girl NEVER run :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sprained ankle. Nah, I removed running as I felt it needed some limitation otherwise there was no point in walking. But limitations on stuff like that are annoying so this was my compromise :P I might change it eventually . . .

:o Just noticed the teleport system you've set up, wonderful idea ;D

Thanks. I usually hate fast travel systems, but I've drawn maps of the gameworld and with the number of projected quest lines it started getting pretty large. I decided the teleport system was necessary, although it isn't yet effective due to the somewhat limited scope of the original demo.

Choice to kill ex-bandit or don't... Screw it, kill that bastard :mad:

Yeah ;) Both choices have consequences later in the game, and I've actually just finished building a side quest revolving around that guy. It has multiple endings depending whether he's alive or dead.

Holy wow, you even gave the choice of rescuing Tobias or taking a reward... REWARD for me, fuck that old guy :D

Again, that choice has an impact on the main storyline. :)

:o Talking to the guards... I can apply for work here...!!! Awesome.

In the demo they only offer one quest, but once you reach the city they are a fully fleshed out joinable faction. One of four. :)

END OF DEMO ;9

My Conclusion:
For goodness sake please change that battle music, it's fine for the first four or five battles, then it just becomes obnoxious ;9

Done. :P

The music you use for the locations I have visited are brilliant, they fit the locations well and it makes me like the game more.

Thanks. I think that music plays a huge part in emotional response and often it is neglected in the medium of videogames, so I shall be handpicking each musical piece in order to best suit locations and scenes.

Your mapping skills are excellent, the forest and the cave look well put together... However I can see a few butterflies that don't seem to move at all, and those bandits sure are messy.

Thanks :) I've had a lot of practice. When I look back on my first ever maps after downloading RMVX several years ago, the difference is actually staggering. The bandits are messy, but that was a conscious design choice. You will find it plays into the persona of the bandit chieftan quite well once his character is fleshed out a little more.

The eventing is another thing I must applaud. The NPCs seem to be very interactive with the player (at least for the first time you talk with them), and the puzzles (Or Puzzle in this case) was very good... However, a rope ladder over a pool of lava seems a little farfetched for me (even in an RPG world).

Thanks. You won't find any NPC saying "Welcome to Tsaria Village!" in Dungeons and Tantrums. My aim is to make the NPC feel a little more realistic, and they will comment on the actions of the player and the changing world. One example of this is an old lady who offers a quest in Darkmourne City, but if the player chooses to rob a particular noble during one sidequest she will be appalled and thereafter refuse to acknowlege the player. I want the setting to feel as organic as possible and a large part of that is removing all traces of the usual "Robotic NPCs" from the gameworld.

The choices you get to make have also impressed me. I killed the ex-bandit and allowed Tobias to remained captured (Because Fuck that guy :mad:). Someday when I can be arsed, I'll have to play again and choose those other options, and see what happens.

You might be surprised by the outcome :) Player choice plays a large part in Dungeons and Tantrums.

I like the idea of the teleport system you've set up, but until it actually becomes useful (ie your demo is much longer and has many more maps), I can't give an honest opinion on it.

I wasn't too sure about it at first, but I've built a lot more maps since releasing the demo and believe me when I say it eventually becomes a godsend. :P

You may want to fix some of the windows that are being displayed. I had to focus to read this option and that is generally not a good thing to have in a game.
Spoiler for:

The image doesn't show up, but I am curious which one you mean. I'll be sure to fix it. :)

Finally we come to the battles... I didn't view the tutorial for the battles, but when I can't use skills straight off the bat it kinda urks me, especially when I was constantly being involved in battles with those bandit gunners :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think this is a matter of personal choice. But I see what you mean. I might include a random element so you have a slight chance of starting battles with 2AP as opposed to 0.

And I love you for using map monster encounters rather than random battles, at least in your game I know when I'm going to be battling something rather than the randomness of it, up to the point where it starts pissing me off.

You probably know how to do this already since you're pretty good at eventing, but in future, if you would like to make the monsters you encounter to be random but still encountered on the map, I did a tutorial for this.
And it also shows how to make a monster return to the screen naturally, which is something I didn't see in your demo.

I downloaded your tutorial and I must say I was impressed. I literally didn't consider the idea of naturally respawning monsters, so I've now implemented this method and it has made the overworld far more exciting. Thank you! :D I may also use this concept in order to respawn mining resources. Thank you for the link, as it helped me overcome this fairly large obstacle in my development. You seem pretty skilled at building events yourself. :D

I score your demo an 8/10, I will definitely play the next demo you release ;)

Thank you very much! :D I am unsure when the next demo will be posted as I am not one to rush things like this, but I am much farther along in the development process than the demo would imply. So it might not be too long before you see the next couple of hours added to the download link. :)

Thanks a lot for the feedback, it was really useful! This is what I was hoping for when I published my topic as it's hard to notice these things in your own work. :D

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
This game looks awesome, I really like the weapon crafting. That's just something I love in any type of game. I'll be sure to pick up the demo before the day ends, I'm usually pretty forgetful, but for sure, i'll play this demo.

Rep:
Level 74
Victory, not Vengeance.
Thanks for your interest. :) But hold off on downloading it for a while, I'm currently in the process of uploading a new version which fixes a potentially gamebreaking bug I missed in testing. I'll edit this post when it's ready. :D

Edit: Okay, the new version has been uploaded. Hopefully that is the final gamebreaking bug in the demo. I just managed a 100% playthrough. It took me 1 hour 7 minutes and I found no major problems this time. :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:47:10 AM by Thnap »

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
Quote from: Thnap
Thanks. I love you too ;)

Thank you for the link, as it helped me overcome this fairly large obstacle in my development. You seem pretty skilled at building events yourself. :D
Why thank you good sir. I'm glad I could help.

Ah ok, about the running, this script can allow it so that you have points while you're running, and once you run out it'll have to recharge before you can run again.  :)
Your character should look something like this when she is tired :gracie: hahaha ;D

Back to the battle music, I trust that you've already picked a good battle theme that doesn't become too boring after a short time.
I'm going to reference a battle theme that another RPG maker user was using for their project, it was relaxing but it didn't bore me after a few battles.
Hopefully you've got that same kind of effect with your new battle theme.
Download http://dsc1.fileflyer.com/d/3edbca9b-ac8c-4ed4-9160-7de9f211b5c9/9tI6/zUPFFAz/112_alchemic_blast.mp3

Another fun thing to mention about your game is the monster cry that plays when you touch a monster... I was playing pretty late at night and one of those monsters was hiding behind a tree, and it made me jump when I heard that cry literally out of nowhere :(   I love that, but I hope that your future monsters who are more powerful have a more powerful sounding cry when you encounter them.

You might be surprised by the outcome :) Player choice plays a large part in Dungeons and Tantrums.
In that case, I'll definitely have to play it again sometime this week and give feedback on those other outcomes :D ... Maybe I'll notice a few extra things as well.

As another suggestion of mine, from what I've seen in the game and your story so far, plus the choices you get to make... I think a great title for this game would be

Conflicting Melody

Rep:
Level 74
Victory, not Vengeance.
Ah ok, about the running, this script can allow it so that you have points while you're running, and once you run out it'll have to recharge before you can run again.  :) Your character should look something like this when she is tired :gracie: hahaha ;D

What a useful little script. I'll take a look and think about implementing it. :)

Back to the battle music, I trust that you've already picked a good battle theme that doesn't become too boring after a short time.
I'm going to reference a battle theme that another RPG maker user was using for their project, it was relaxing but it didn't bore me after a few battles. Hopefully you've got that same kind of effect with your new battle theme.

Yeah, I see what you're getting at. The theme I have chosen for battles has a similar effect to this one, but it has more of a Rock influence. It's included in the newest version of the demo, so if you do decide to replay Dungeons and Tantrums it might be worth downloading it again. :P

Another fun thing to mention about your game is the monster cry that plays when you touch a monster... I was playing pretty late at night and one of those monsters was hiding behind a tree, and it made me jump when I heard that cry literally out of nowhere :(   I love that, but I hope that your future monsters who are more powerful have a more powerful sounding cry when you encounter them.

Ugh, I know what you mean. I've made myself jump with it too and I'm the one who added the monsters. XD I'm glad it had the intended effect on you though... :P

In that case, I'll definitely have to play it again sometime this week and give feedback on those other outcomes :D ... Maybe I'll notice a few extra things as well.

Cool. :) I hope you enjoy your second playthrough.

As another suggestion of mine, from what I've seen in the game and your story so far, plus the choices you get to make... I think a great title for this game would be

Conflicting Melody

Not a bad idea :P When it comes to choosing a final title for the series, I think I will go for something to do with Melody and then have Dungeons and Tantrums as the subtitle of chapter one.

The namebox obscuring the text was a bug, and it has now been fixed. Thanks for spotting it and pointing it out! :D

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
This is a really fun game. I like the music a lot, the combat could use a bit of work in the difficulty department though. It's pretty easy, along with the high amount of Herbs you get from enemies, there really isn't much challenge.
But your mapping is great and I enjoy exploring the land. Keep up the good work man, there really isn't much to be said that others have already posted. I really liked the demo and hope this goes even further.

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
Something I just noticed whilst doing a replay of this game...

I chose to be a rogue in my last playthrough (You can probably tell from my avatars that I like Assassins/Rogue types), and she was not all that quick, in fact most of the bandits seemed to attack before my 'rogue' character could... ???
I picked a warrior this time, and I can definitely see my character attacking with more brute force, but still lacking in speed.
I guess my question is, Why is the Rogue type character slow in agility?

In both of my playthroughs there has been some guy who says he has lost his key and to not bother him.
I literally find the key somewhere near him, and he doesn't take it off me when I talk to him, and I've check all the doors for where this key could go and it doesn't open anything... Is this key supposed to do something or is it a pointless item?

Your new battle theme is fitting, however I personally think that you should have a different battle theme for both the bandits and the monsters.
This rock version battle theme is great against the bandits, but the monsters should have something a little different.

Another applause I must give. You've set the rain effect at night, and when I walk into a house that doesn't actually transfer me to another map, you stop the rain but continue the sound effect of it. I'm loving this game the more that I play it ;D

And I'm finished :) Play time is 01:10:44.
Hmm... not a bad play amount, not bad at all and I certainly had fun playing ^-^

Well I think I completed all the quests that I could in this demo, I defeated 'The Word', killed Chuck, finish the main story quest and even cleared out the lizard cave.

I tried doing the guards quest as well, but a soldier was blocking my path to Tsaria Village and I couldn't find an alternative route there.

Something else I noticed in this playthrough was that you've included items inside barrels and bookcases, I even managed to get a book pop-up when I searched one of the bookcases.
This game is very interactive and it is definitely by far my most favourite 'RPG project' that I've played in a long time.

However I also noticed that your music is not looped, it lasts for a really long time, I'll grant you that, but if I choose not to battle anything in the forest and decide "Hey, lets do the moonwalk" (Slight exaggeration), eventually the music fades out.
If you don't know how to loop your music, I'll be happy to do it for you.

Also, as with what Hiromu said, I somewhat agree. I think that the battle difficulty is fine, but I'm getting way too many Healing Herbs out of the enemies that I am facing off against. It may just be a good idea to reduce the chance of getting a healing herb from weaker enemies and make the chances of getting one higher from more powerful enemies.

Keep up the good work ;)

Rep:
Level 74
Victory, not Vengeance.
Quote from: hiromu656
This is a really fun game. I like the music a lot, the combat could use a bit of work in the difficulty department though. It's pretty easy, along with the high amount of Herbs you get from enemies, there really isn't much challenge. But your mapping is great and I enjoy exploring the land. Keep up the good work man, there really isn't much to be said that others have already posted. I really liked the demo and hope this goes even further.

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it :) The difficulty is something I'm working on fixing. I've just implemented a few minor changes that should make the game more challenging and I just need to set aside the time to test them.

Spoiler for Another long quote string :P:
I chose to be a rogue in my last playthrough (You can probably tell from my avatars that I like Assassins/Rogue types), and she was not all that quick, in fact most of the bandits seemed to attack before my 'rogue' character could... ???
I picked a warrior this time, and I can definitely see my character attacking with more brute force, but still lacking in speed.
I guess my question is, Why is the Rogue type character slow in agility?

It isn't. The way I handled the different classes was that I set all of Melody's base statistics to 2 and then depending on which class is selected I added points as appropriate. The Rogue class starts with 4 agility, making it its specialist statistic. Bandits have 3 agility :s The only one with 4 agility is the Gunner Girl. When combined with equipment, the Rogue should far outstrip them in speed. Maybe this is something I should take a look at. Thanks for bringing it to my attention as this is definitely something that slipped under the radar.

In both of my playthroughs there has been some guy who says he has lost his key and to not bother him. I literally find the key somewhere near him, and he doesn't take it off me when I talk to him, and I've check all the doors for where this key could go and it doesn't open anything... Is this key supposed to do something or is it a pointless item?

The key does have a purpose. There's a cave where it's used to unlock a sealed door. :) Click below if you want to see where it is.

Spoiler for Solution:

This rock version battle theme is great against the bandits, but the monsters should have something a little different.

This isn't something I considered, but it's worth a look. I'll see if I can find anything suitable. :)

Another applause I must give. You've set the rain effect at night, and when I walk into a house that doesn't actually transfer me to another map, you stop the rain but continue the sound effect of it. I'm loving this game the more that I play it ;D

d'aww :lol: Thankew very much. I'm trying to include as many minor little touches as I can in the finished product. I feel like they can really make a game.

Well I think I completed all the quests that I could in this demo, I defeated 'The Word', killed Chuck, finish the main story quest and even cleared out the lizard cave.

I tried doing the guards quest as well, but a soldier was blocking my path to Tsaria Village and I couldn't find an alternative route there.

Yep. That's all of them :) There are far more quests in the full version and you are virtually unrestricted in the order you complete them, but in the demo there is a limited number as the introduction is far more linear than the rest of the game. Tsaria Village is blocked off in the Demo and you do not need to go there to finish the Guards quest. :)

Something else I noticed in this playthrough was that you've included items inside barrels and bookcases, I even managed to get a book pop-up when I searched one of the bookcases.
This game is very interactive and it is definitely by far my most favourite 'RPG project' that I've played in a long time.

Oh wow. Thanks a lot for your kind words! They actually mean a lot :D I've spent a long time planning this project so it's an amazing feeling to see other people enjoying my work.

However I also noticed that your music is not looped, it lasts for a really long time, I'll grant you that, but if I choose not to battle anything in the forest and decide "Hey, lets do the moonwalk" (Slight exaggeration), eventually the music fades out.
If you don't know how to loop your music, I'll be happy to do it for you.

Hmm... Music looping isn't something I'd previously considered, but it might be a good idea. I'll track down a tutorial and figure out how to do it, since if I do it for one song I'll no doubt have to do it for all of them.

Also, as with what Hiromu said, I somewhat agree. I think that the battle difficulty is fine, but I'm getting way too many Healing Herbs out of the enemies that I am facing off against. It may just be a good idea to reduce the chance of getting a healing herb from weaker enemies and make the chances of getting one higher from more powerful enemies.

The Healing Herb problem is one I've just fixed. It hasn't yet been tested, but I'm gonna set aside an hour tonight to do another full playthrough as I've made some fairly extensive changes in the newest version. It feels like I'm spending more time fixing errors in the demo than actually developing new content. ;)

Thanks a lot for your feedback; you've pointed out so many things that have made my project a lot better. It is genuinely appreciated. :)

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
D: I can't believe that I missed that secret.

And I also need to facepalm; I didn't pay much attention to what the guards were saying besides 'Tsaria Village', so I assumed I needed to go there.
But actually there quest was to kill the lizard king (which I did without realising it was a quest anyway) ;D

I learnt how to loop audio with this youtube video here, it's actually very easy to do.
Spoiler for:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dHo2kBkC6Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dHo2kBkC6Y</a>

But I think that's all the feedback I can offer ;9
At least for now anyway :)

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
Officially Supporting ;D

I say 'officially' because it makes it sound more important ;)