RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RM2k] RuneWorld

Rep:
Level 89
RuneWorld
(title appearance may vary in final release.)

Hiya, folks! I figured I'd give out some info about a project I'm working on.

Info:
RuneWorld is supposed to be a take on the old 8-bit gaming era. In this game, you play as Ethan, who is on a quest to rescue a princess from a mad sorcerer. It's your basic damsel in distress kind of situation... At least, that's how the game starts off. Little does everyone know is that there is a greater evil from another world that will soon invade. The game also uses a 1st person battle system.

Features:
  • references to vaious media such as anime, other video games, etc.
  • 8-bit graphics that create a feeling of nostalgia.
  • Dozens of characters that will either hinder you or assist you on your quest.

(UPDATED!) Playable characters (temporary party members won't be listed here):
Spoiler for:
Ethan

(art by Tatious)
Species: Dog (unspecified)
Home: The town of Valefor
Class: Hero
Bio: Ethan is the main protagonist of this game, as expected. Though he doesn't really want to be a hero. Instead, he would rather live a normal life. He was chosen by the King to save his daughter from a mad man. He may seem defiant about his adventure at first (He'll also complain about it every now and then), but eventually he'll choose to accept his destiny. Ethan has a good chance at landing critical hits. I Also wanna say that he doesn't remember his childhood.

Talven (A.K.A "The Anubis of the Forest")

Species: Wolf
Home: Rivendale forest
Class: Archer
Bio: Talven is one of the more serious characters found in the game. When he was 7, his mother died from an illness. His father wanted nothing to do with him, so he was abandoned. Eventually,  he ended up in the Rivendale forest where an Archdruid took him in and raised him as his own. There, he learned about nature, and such. Despite that his foster father is a druid, Talven himself is an archer. He is the protector of the forest and he makes sure that no one trespasses. The reason why he is called the Anubis of the Forest is because it's a reference to Anubis, the god of death in ancient egypt. Once someone enters the forest, they never leave alive. When he first meets Ethan, he accuses him of trespassing. he joins after earning his trust and by order of the Archdruid. Talven is known for his agility, and can easily set traps. He also has the ability to communicate with animals. Talven can also use some druid magic that he learned from the Archdruid.

Felicia

Species: Cat
Home: WIP
Class: Apprentice Magician
Bio: Felicia is travelling around the world trying to become the best spellcaster of all RuneWorld, following her deceased father's footsteps. She's a very shy character, and is usually concerned about the friends she makes. Like any other magicians, she's very weak when it comes to strength, but her magic makes up for that.

Harvo

Species: Duck
Class: "Actor"*
Bio: Harvo is a stage actor who dreams of being famous. When he was a kid, his whole family was famous for various things, and Harvo was an odd one out. So one day, he decided to become an actor, but there was one problem: He tries to get the main roles, but keeps getting rejected, especially at school plays (Yes, in RuneWorld, School plays exist). The only parts he can get to this very day are secondary roles (by secondary, I mean one-liners), which he got really tired of. One of the strangest things is that he almost constantly dresses up as a female when in disguise (Because of this, a lot of people question his sexuality). Here's a sample to see what I'm talking about:

He's pretty much a very useless party member (Like a Magikarp, useless in battle, but very easily caught). He's mostly around for comic relief.
BUT!
He does have stats changing abilities, so he's not completely useless, contrary to what I stated earlier.

*: Actor = Thief

I know, Some of (if not all) the bios need some work. And if you think the sprites aren't very impressive, that's nothing! You should see two of the characters' early sprites!

Ethan

His sprite was too bulky! >_<

Felicia

I got no comment. XP

(UPDATED!)
Other characters (temporary party members are also listed here, but you will not know who is a temp):
Spoiler for:
Aizen

(art by Kitfox-Crimson)
Species: Canine (unspecified, possibly a brown fox)
Class: Sorcerer
Alliance: Evil (formerly good)
Bio: Aizen is the very same reason Ethan is out on a quest, and is considered to be the most powerful Sorcerer of RuneWorld. He had taken an oath to protect the kingdom of Valefor from any threat. When he first met the Valefor King's daughter, he fell in love, however, he could not express his feelings to her especially since she was betrothed. One day, "something" encouraged him to take her. He was given the power to control monsters and was given an army of his own. He took the princess by force, but chooses not to marry her yet. Instead, he decides to win her heart first (though the process is very difficult). To this day, he has yet to succeed, but is trying very hard still. Aizen was actually inspire by the character Shin from Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the north Star. Expect some allusions from him.

Melanie
(image coming soon)
Species: Dog
Home: Valefor Castle
Class: Princess
Alliance: Good
Bio: Princes Melanie is the daughter of the King of Valefor. She's kind and understanding. At a young age, her father arranged a marriage for her to a prince from a distant country, even though she has never met him. At the age of 16, she and her father awaited for the arrival of the prince, but instead, Aizen arrived. For her father's safety, she chose to go with him. Melanie is your basic damsel in distress, and does not condone Aizen's actions. she will play a very important role in this game. You'll just have to wait and see.

King Edgar Valefor XIII
(image coming soon)
Species: Dog
Home: Valefor Castle
Class: King (duh!)
Bio: An elderly king and a kind man. When Aizen attacked the castle, he tortured the King until the princess swore that she would belong to him. Since then, he had kept himself locked in the castle worrying about his daughter, until Ehan came. One thing to note about the king is that he speaks in a very shakespearic speech pattern.

Boris Bakov
(image coming soon)
Species: Bear
Home: Unknown
Class: Axeman
Bio: For many years, the Bakov family have been known for being weapon collectors, searching for the most rarest weapons. Boris follows that tradition. Using his axe, he fights through various caves and dungeons just to find those rare weapons.

Lin Kuei

(art by Kitfox-Crimson)
Species: Panda
Class: Kung Fu Master
Bio: When Lin Kuei was young, He lived in a small village with his mother, father and sister, Mei Yun. However, his village was nearly destroyed by a group of bandits. He was the only survivor of his family. As he wandered aimlessely, he descovered a training ground, where a group of monks took him in as a student. He grew up into a martial arts master. Eventually, Lin Kuei left the dojo and returned home. There, he heard that his sister was alive as well, but no one knew her location. He travels around the world in search of his long lost sister.

I know what you're thinking: Lin Kuei's story sounds similar to Talven's. There are a few differences between them: Talven was abandoned, while Lin's parents were killed. Talven stayed in a forest, while Lin travels RuneWorld. But enough about that. Lin Kuei is an expertise at the four styles of Kung Fu: Tiger, Mantis, Viper and Monkey. To those who have played a very particular gory fighting game, you can take a wild guess at where his name came from.

Scythe
(image coming soon)
Species: Dragon
Home: ??
Class: ??
Alliance: ??
Bio: Is he a friend? Is he a foe? Is he that one particular character that the designers like to make enigmatic? The only fact known about Scythe is that he is the descendent of the Legendary Dragon King Bahamut.

Alistair
(image coming soon)
Species: Fox
Home: Unknown
Class: Legendary Hero
Bio: One thousand years ago, The world was thrown into turmoil by a Dark warlord known as Sorsabal. Only one person was able to stop this mad man and save RuneWorld. That man is Alistair. He would go down in history as the legendary hero. Alistair is derived from the Legendary hero Erderick/Roto/Loto from the Dragon Warrior/Quest series. He will be mentioned a lot (well, not exactly a lot).
This section will update every now and then. Mainly because I'm trying to work on other characters' stories. Some of these will need work, so that will be updated as well.

Screenshots:
Spoiler for:
NOTE: The following images are from early development and may vary in final release.

Currently, I'm looking for a team.  If you wish to join, Click here.

NOTE: The info about the game displayed over there will be moved here when I update.

Don't forget to leave feedback!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:41:32 AM by TCgamerboy2002 »
RuneWorld (Title clickable)
Now recruiting!

Spoiler for:
Current team:
Composer 1 = Suezo
Eventer = RefresherSpray
You wish to apply? Send a PM with a sample of your work with an attachment.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
I don't really have the time to join your posse, but I shall be watching out for the game. What are your plans on a demo?

Rep:
Level 89
Well, here's what I have planned about the demo: It's gonna have an alternate starting point that will differ greatly from the final release.

As for a demo release, I can't really predict when it will be released. We'll just have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 05:17:40 PM by TCgamerboy2002 »
RuneWorld (Title clickable)
Now recruiting!

Spoiler for:
Current team:
Composer 1 = Suezo
Eventer = RefresherSpray
You wish to apply? Send a PM with a sample of your work with an attachment.

Rep:
Level 71
I'm really looking forward to this. The graphics make me reminisce. I'm too young to be reminiscing.

Rep:
Level 70
need help with iphone game
so what platform will this game be?
currently making: iphone game

TIPS NEEDED!

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Read the title. RM2k is for computers.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know