RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Hieros Gamos

Rep:
Level 73
Hieros Gamos project leader, RPG Monster artist
Hieros Gamos

Greetings, RMRK! I'm a former fakemon artist turned monster artist (you'd be surprised at the difference) here to promote a game I've been working on for about a month now, Hieros Gamos.

The project looks a bit... ambitious, even to me (I am the queen of ambitious projects. No lie), but I already have a great team of creature designers and spriters together, and I've had a few people show interest in sound effects/music and scripting. Want to join the team? Click HERE for info!

Game Info

Hieros Gamos is a 3v3 monster battling RPG similar in flavor to Dragon Warrior Monsters, Shin Megami Tensei and the newer Digimon games for the DS. The story is based in both the ancient practice of alchemy and the modern JRPG.

Story

In the world of Roeizek, alchemy has developed so much that it is the single driving force behind everything in the world. The form of alchemy used in Roeizek is homunculus based - most alchemists get by through summoning and binding powerful creatures to do their bidding. After they are finished with, these creatures get released into the wild, causing an influx of monsters surrounding towns and cities. This development called for a new breed of alchemist, one who had the utmost understanding of the homunculi - one who could bind any homunculus to their will.

You are the younger brother/sister of one of these alchemists. Your sister, Morgan, set off three years ago in order to study the Hieros Gamos, the ultimate breeding rite between two super-powerful homunculi. One year ago she was pronounced missing, and you haven't gotten any contact from her until now.

On your doorstep lays a small package. Inside said package is a large crystal - one homunculi are known to produce after they breed.

The return address is illegible, except for the name "Morgan".

The crystal begins to crack and glow. Out of it comes a small homunculus, one of the likes you have never seen before. It appears to be already bound to you, and talks to you as if it has known you for years.

Why would your sister send you this kind of package? What's up with getting a homunculus in the mail? What kind of homunculus is it anyways?

So would begin your long journey as an alchemist, searching for the secrets of your sister and the Hieros Gamos.

Features

EDITED: My friend neglected to tell me that the "512" number she gave me included the 4 ranks of each. So no, there aren't over 500 homunculi, unless you're counting ranks as seperate types. Which they really aren't. However...

-Raise, breed, talk to and battle with over 120 Homunculi in their 4 stages of growth
-In-depth "life stage" and "personality" systems give your homunculi a mind of their own
-Breeding, variety in homunculi, and post-story content give replay value
-Traditional, turn-based battles couple with elemental combination attacks for limitless strategy - think Pokemon Black and White's Triple Battles
-Difficulty about the level of a Shin Megami Tensei game on Normal - hard, but not impossibly hard
-Engaging story with multiple endings
-Homunculi designed by longtime designers of Fake Pokemon - we know what we're doing!

Team

Too see someone's artwork, look them up on Deviantart. Note - old work on dA may not be evident of current skills.

Creature Designers/Spriters
Mojanbo (that's me!)
Shira-Kaeru
BynineB
Mewchild
SphericalIce
KamDunbar
OrangeAipom
XiaPherix

HUD Designer
Bzuma

Music/SFX, Tile Spriters and Scripters are all positions in need of filling, but more creature designers are always great!

Special Thanks

Masquerain would like to thank the following people:
-Chris2Balls of tSR, for his amazing sprite critique
-Damain of PxC, for his great encouragement
-And all of my friends who believe this will happen!

I'm waiting until I get a scripter to make the basic needed scripts to make the game work before I begin even touching RPG Maker, besides for mapping. Thus, no screenshots at the moment. However, please enjoy this list of homunculi and the elements/planets they are classified by in lieu of pretty pictures (though I'd consider the sprites on our headers "pretty pictures")

Spoiler for Current Homunculus List:

In the game there are four base elements, which can combine to make 16 'complex' elements. The elements are as follows:

Earth+Earth = Earth
Earth>Fire = Metal
Earth>Water = Wood
Earth>Air = Sand

Fire>Earth = Sulphur
Fire+Fire = Fire
Fire>Water = Steam
Fire>Air = Lightning

Water>Earth = Blood
Water>Fire = Catalyst
Water+Water = Water
Water>Air = Snow

Air>Earth = Sound
Air>Fire = Nuclear
Air>Water = Miasma
Air+Air = Air

Each creature is also ruled by one of the 8 planets. This determines what type of creature you will get from breeding them.

Mercury (Reptiles)
Venus (Machines/Manmade)
Earth (Plants)
Mars (Mammals and Humanoids)
Jupiter (Everything Else)
Saturn (Birds)
Uranus (Insects/Invertebrates)
Neptune (Marine creatures and Amphibians)

1. Dwartle
Earth+Earth
Ruled By: Mercury
Rank 1: tortoise
Rank 2: Biped tortoise-dwarf
Rank 3: Painted biped tortoise-dwarf (think tribal paint + painted turtle)
Rank 4: Painted old man biped tortoise-dwarf
Abilityset: Tank
Grimoire Description: A minor manifestation of the element of Earth. The purest possible Earth homunculus, it comes from only the most sacred breeding rituals.
Notes: The starter you receive if your quiz results line up with the Earth element. High health and defenses with some taunt-like and defense increasing skills. Attack is decent.

2. Salamendra
Fire + Fire
Ruled By: Mercury
Rank 1: Salamander
Rank 2: Salamander with paws on fire
Rank 3: Salamander-drake with legs + back on fire
Rank 4: Dragon with entire body excluding decorative acessories on fire
Abilityset: Magic Damage
Grimoire Description: A minor manifestation of the element of Fire. The purest possible Fire homunculus, it comes from only the most sacred breeding rituals.
Notes: The starter you receive if your quiz results line up with the Fire element. Takes attacks well, but its health is low and it doesn't do much damage with regular attacks. Its magic is very good however.

3. Danubine
Water+Water
Ruled By: Mars
Rank 1: Baby with translucent skin
Rank 2: Child with translucent skin, violin-like features
Rank 3: Older Child with translucent skin, violin-like features, and waves for a lower body
Rank 4: Adult with translucent skin, violin-like features, and waves for a lower body
Abilityset: Healer
Grimoire Description: A minor manifestation of the element of Water. The purest possible Water homunculus, it comes from only the most sacred breeding rituals.
Notes: The starter you receive if your quiz results line up with the Water element. All Ranks appear androgynous. Does magic damage that is fine for getting through the first part of the game, however it is best used for healing.

4. Sylphen
Air+Air
Ruled By: Jupiter
Rank 1: A small creature inside a tornado
Rank 2: A small creature inside a tornado - the tornado has arms
Rank 3: A larger creature inside a tornado - the tornado has arms
Rank 4: A larger creature inside a tornado - both the creature and the tornado have arms
Abilityset: Melee Damage
Grimoire Description: A minor manifestation of the element of Air. The purest possible Air homunculus, it comes from only the most sacred breeding rituals.
Notes: The starter you receive if your quiz results line up with the Air element. Does a ton of damage, but takes a lot from melee attacks. Health is fairly high.

5. Cusitren
Fire>Earth
Rank 1: Small shaggy dog
Rank 2: Larger shaggy dog, braids, hair covering the eyes
Rank 3: Even larger shaggy dog, braids, hair covering the eyes, fae wings
Rank 4: Even larger still shaggy dog, braids, hair covering the eyes, fae wings, foxfire surrounding it
Abilityset: Magic Damage/Debuffer
Grimoire Description: A shaggy dog homunculus that is said to bring milk to the Fae. Summoning one of these is a definite way to gain contact with the fair folk.
Notes: Specializes in Damage over Time magic and Fire magic. Has an almost-unique ability, Fairy Ring, which debuffs enemies and buffs allies.

6. Birddon
Air>Fire
Ruled By: Saturn
Ranks 1-4: Concept Art by BynineB

Grimoire Description: Often used to chase unwanted birds off the alchemist's property, these homunculi can become pests in and of themselves if allowed free range of one's backyard.
Notes: Is basically a mafia don. Knows a few attack-augmenting and support spells, but other than that his melee damage is the way to go. Can also be used to great effect as a tank, however.

7. Mause
Fire>Air
Ruled By: Venus
Rank 1: Old computer mouse
Rank 2: Basic computer mouse
Rank 3: Gaming mouse (Razer Naga)
Rank 4: Armored Gaming mouse (Steelseries WoW mouse)
Abilityset: Tank/Magic Damage
Grimoire Description: Their skills in making electronics work make them popular homunculi. Powerful ones can cause nearby computers to experience a "blue screen of death".
Notes: Starts out fairly weak and best used as a magic damager, however by Mause's last Rank he has come into his own as a powerful tank, specialized to handle magic damage. Can still be used as a magic damager, and his melee attack is decent as well.

8. Rashoumon
Water>Air
Rank 1: Sled dog puppy
Rank 2: Sled dog with slight demon features
Rank 3: Sled dog with demon features, armor, growing a second head
Rank 4: Two-headed sled dog with demon features and armor
Grimoire Description: It comes from a devil's gate in the East. It is used as transportation across snow.
Notes: One of the mount monsters who can be used to increase your speed across certain types of terrain, if properly trained. Uses melee attacks with a damage-over-time component.

9. Dhaquid
Water>Earth
Ruled By: Neptune
Rank 1: Small, sparkling "vampire" squid
Rank 2: Vampire squid (no sparkles)
Rank 3: Vampire squid with Dracula features
Rank 4: Vampire squid with features of traditional Slavic vampire
Abilityset: Debuffer
Grimoire Description: A homunculus who is usually sent to give sickness to enemies by sucking their blood. It can be repelled by putting a fresh fish in front of your door.
Notes: Represents the reverse evolution of the vampire in popular culture. Has decent attack and magic skills but where it truly shines is the stat debuffs it can dole out.

10. Valckin
Fire>Water
Rank 1: Bullet-shaped creature with a smoke tail
Rank 2: Bullet-shaped biped creature with a smoke tail
Rank 3: Bullet-like weasel creature with a smoke tail
Rank 4: Bullet-like weasel creature with an ammo belt and gun arm, and a smoke tail
Abilityset: Magic Damage/Melee Damage
Grimoire Description: It was created with the purpose of demolishing large buildings. Wild ones shoot everything in sight.
Notes: Works as either type of damager. Glass cannon type creature, but good at defeating homunculi with high defenses.

11. Sheipnir
Air>Water
Ruled by: Mars
Rank 1: Lamb with curly fur
Rank 2: Sheep with curly fur, 6 legs
Rank 3: Sheep with small horns, curly fur, 8 legs
Rank 4: Ram with curly fur, 8 legs, racehorse garb
Abilityset: Buffer/Healer/Melee Damage
Grimoire Description: Shorn for their luxorious wool when they're younger. When they have 8 legs, they can run so fast they can fly.
Notes: One of the mount monsters who can be used to increase your speed across certain types of terrain, if properly trained. Super-fast buffer/healer with decent attack.

12. Jerville
Air>Fire
Ruled by: Jupiter
Rank 1: Creature with a bird's legs and small wings.
Rank 2: Long-necked creature with bird's legs, demon wings
Rank 3: Long-necked gryphon-like creature with horse's front legs, bird's back legs, demon wings and horns
Rank 4: Long-necked gryphon-like creature with horse's front legs, bird's back legs, demon wings and horns. Body is more demonic
Abilityset: Magic Damage/Debuffer
Grimoire Description: A homunculus created to scare people with its cry like nails on a chalkboard. It lives near pine trees.
Notes: Uses air magic and fear-type debuffs. Decent all-around stats, can be used for pretty much anything.

13. Jestyena
Air>Water
Rank 1: Hyena cub with jester's collar
Rank 2: Hyena with jester's hat and collar
Rank 3: Hyena with jester's facepaint, collar and hat
Rank 4: Hyena with Jester's clothes as body markings, facepaint, collar and hat
Abilityset: Buffer/Debuffer
Grimoire Description: Known to make even the most stoic of alchemists laugh with their slapstick comedy. Used as court jesters in the old days of the Monarchy.
Notes: Has lots of abilities based on random choice. High defenses, low attack, but a collection of amazing buffs/debuffs.

14. Coffatos
Earth+Earth
Ruled By: Venus
Rank 1: Coffin with a face + legs
Rank 2:  Biped coffin
Rank 3: Knight made of shadow coming out of coffin
Rank 4: Knight with coffin shoulders/facemask
Abilityset: Tank/Melee Damager
Grimoire Description: Once used as a mobile burial coffin during the Plague Years, it has since fallen into disuse, with the exception of battle.
Notes: Knows many 'death-based' abilites, such as instant death and sacrifice spells. Makes an excellent tank. High HP ties in with one spell that restores HP to allies equal to Coffatos's max HP, but kills Coffatos.

15. Hummzilo
Air+Air
Ruled By: Saturn
Rank 1: Tiny Hummingbird
Rank 2: Biped hummingbird
Rank 3: Hummingbirdlike man
Rank 4: Hummingbird knight
Abilityset: Healer/Buffer
Grimoire Description: Created to be a highly mobile medic for wars. These homunculi would travel the air looking for wounded soldiers.
Notes: A healer with decent defenses and speed.

16. Millypod
Earth+Earth (first two ranks), Earth>Fire (last two ranks)
Ruled By: Uranus
Rank 1: Pillbug
Rank 2: Millipede
Rank 3: Millipede with human armor
Rank 4: Upright-standing millipede with knight's armor
Abilityset: Tank/Buffer
Grimoire Description: Made for an invertebrate-loving king to be the main bulk of his army. In spite of their appearence they are very chivalrous.
Notes: Best tank in the game, pretty much, but sacrefices attack and magic damage for his defensive skills. Speed is good enough to pull off defensive manuvers.

17. Dandelante
Earth>Water
Ruled by: Earth
Rank 1: Dandelion Puff
Rank 2: Dandelion Lizard
Rank 3: Thistle Lizard
Rank 4: Thistle Dragon
Abilityset: Melee Damage/Buffer
Grimoire Description: A recent homunculus created to feature in a movie. However, it grew larger than expected and escaped.
Notes: Melee attacker with a large amount of plant-based buffs.

18. Bassicore
Air>Earth
Ruled By: Jupiter
Rank 1: Lion cub with a stinger
Rank 2: Lion cub with a mane and a stinger
Rank 3: Lion with a mane and a scorpion tail
Rank 4: Lion with a mane, wings, and a scorpion tail
Abilityset: Melee Damage/Debuffer
Grimoire Description: Created as a musical instrument, it became too much to handle and was released into the wild. It plays a bass riff when content.
Notes: One of the mount monsters who can be used to increase your speed across certain types of terrain, if properly trained. Sound-based attacks.

19. Dorappa
Air>Earth
Rank 1: Small dog with a mic tail
Rank 2: Dog that looks like Parappa with a mic tail
Rank 3: Biped dog that looks like Parappa with a mic tail and turntables
Rank 4: Biped dog with baggy pants, a beanie, sunglasses/a DAT ASS face, a mic tail and turntables
Abilityset: Buffer/Magic Damage
Grimoire Description: Hey Danubine, Imma let you finish, but Bassicore is the best musical homunculus of ALL TIME!
Notes: Really gets the party pumped up with his buffs. Also can insult (damage) with his lyrics.

20. Rampadillo
Earth>Air
Rank 1: Baby Armadillo with sand mound on its back
Rank 2: Armadillo with sand bucket on its back and shovel
Rank 3: Armadillo with a basic sandcastle on its back
Rank 4: Armadillo with a complex sandcastle on its back
Abilityset: Tank/Debuffer
Grimoire Description: A homunculus made for children to play with after a hurricane decimated the southern beaches. It is still popular with kids today, however parents hate when it tracks sand across the floor.
Notes: Has lots of accuracy-reducing sand moves which help its tanking.

21. Airphibian
Air>Water
Ruled By: Neptune
Ranks 1-4: A wonderful illustration by BynineB:

Abilityset: Buffer/Healer/Debuffer
Grimoire Description: Used to create and change weather patterns. If enough of them gather and puff air in one place, a hurricane can form.
Notes: Uses weather and field moves to buff/debuff, and has a nice set of healing moves as well.

Hope to hear your feedback!

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 02:20:47 PM by masquerain »

Rep:
Level 73
I swear, Officer - she's over 18.
YOU made those sprites? Damn, those are better than most sprites I see by professional developers at Sega, Nintendo, Capcom, etc.

The story and formula of the game sounds very interesting! And since i loved Dragon Quest: Monsters and Pokemon as a child, I think I'll be wanting to try this one out. However, I see no screenshots, demos, or even concept drawings of battles. There's not much for me to physically critique, since there's no physical content for this game yet.

Take all the time you need and such, but I, personally, just can't realy give a confident critique of this project yet, and this may be why others haven't. Good luck with this though! I always adored these kinds of games.  ^-^

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
watching this, I'm highly interested.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 73
Glad to see there are people interested!

Narwhals: I still don't have any super-concrete content yet (considering most people want to work on monster designs first), but let me see if I can explain a few things:

The battle system I'm currently using is the frontview, no battlers version of Battle Engine Melody by Yanfly. At this point I'm not sure if I'll be using a basic turn-based battle system or a press turn system to support the combination attacks afforded by the complex element skills.

At the moment I'm using an eventing system for monster capture. It works, but it only allows for a few homunculi to be made, as each one requires 18 or more actors for each homunculus, which is why we need a scripter ASAP.

Okay, I caved, here's an EXTREMELY basic, unedited battle test:

Like I said, it's a very basic and unedited Battle Engine Melody - this was just set up to show what format the battles would be in and how the sprites would be positioned. The facesets for the creatures were done in like 5 minutes in paint. :T

Once I get a few more assets and mess around with the Melody scripts a bit more, I'll post another battle screenshot.

Also, if anyone's interested, links to the game's new website and forums in my sig. (There was no rule against this that I saw - remove this line if it's against the rules)

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I have to say that I like complexity of strategy in battle systems, so I'd go that route.

Edit: Also I'm a huge SMT fanatic, so...yeah.

Rep:
Level 73
Yeah, I love SMT too, but the issue is that the game could end up looking too similar to SMT if I had the Press Turn system, plus the recruitment.

I'm thinking combining my two ideas and having the element combos in a regular turn-based system.

The other issue with Press Turn is that sometimes the elements that a creature represents, and thus are weak to, would be more obvious in Hieros Gamos than in the SMT series.

Anyways, I'll think on it.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
for "5 minutes in paint" those are some goddamn amazing facesets.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Yeah, I love SMT too, but the issue is that the game could end up looking too similar to SMT if I had the Press Turn system, plus the recruitment.

I'm thinking combining my two ideas and having the element combos in a regular turn-based system.

The other issue with Press Turn is that sometimes the elements that a creature represents, and thus are weak to, would be more obvious in Hieros Gamos than in the SMT series.

Anyways, I'll think on it.

I actually would say that elemental hierarchy was pretty obvious in SMT games.

I don't think it'll look too much like SMT just because of the battle system, but that's something to consider anyway.  On the other hand, if it's just flat turn-based it'll look like pokemon, or DQM.

I don't think that's something a developer should worry about so much as just delivering a quality product.  This is RPG Maker.  Nobody gets bent out of shape with people for borrowing game mechanics from their favorite games.  Hell, half of the scripts and script requests out there are for [x] feature from [y] game.

Good to see someone who puts thought into their work though.

Rep:
Level 73
Hey, sorry for the long hiatus but I'm posting to show that some work has been done on the game. It's slow, but we still don't have a scripter (hint hint) so that's the way it goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT-DgPVB3WE&feature=channel_video_title

The above is a very basic preview of the battle and taming systems without any scripts besides Melody Engine.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
I commented on the video, but I'll do the questioning here. What sort of reactions can occur from conversation with the creatures? Because it's very Persona-like, i'd expect that they would do things like: fleeing, attacking, becoming friendly and what not. Is it simply attack or tame? Also, do monsters of the same kind have the same questions? Meaning that if you found "Monster X", talked to it then finished the battle, then found another "Monster X" - would it have the same question? Unless there is only one of each monster.

Rep:
Level 73
I commented on the video, but I'll do the questioning here. What sort of reactions can occur from conversation with the creatures? Because it's very Persona-like, i'd expect that they would do things like: fleeing, attacking, becoming friendly and what not. Is it simply attack or tame? Also, do monsters of the same kind have the same questions? Meaning that if you found "Monster X", talked to it then finished the battle, then found another "Monster X" - would it have the same question? Unless there is only one of each monster.

1. Yes, they can flee, attack you, or ask further questions, like in the Megaten games.

2. I plan on having several questions for each type of monster, with some overlapping, however I can't implement this without either a ridiculous amount of eventing or a few scripts. So at this point it's only one per monster.