RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RMVX] Star Quest (Working Title)

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Star Quest

A friend persuaded me to go join this Game in a Month contest, and I figured that I'd try something different than what I'm used to for my entry. Star Quest is a futuristic shooting game for RMVX for which I intend to focus more on a fun gameplay and intriguing story than graphics or mapping. The gameplay is a simple "move the crosshairs and pull the trigger", but with enough twists to keep you on your toes and fingers ready to push the fire button.

The story follows the exploits of Adrian Solare, a young cadet with dreams of being a full fledged fighter pilot. But as he slowly climbs the ranks at his academy, he begins to notice strange things happening around him. People start to mysteriously disappear, weapons start to have critical errors due to faulty parts, and ships start to have "accidents" mid-flight. Yet despite all of this, the Board of Directors at the academy are doing nothing save for covering their own butts from scandal. Something big is happening, and it's up to you to get to the bottom of it.

Spoiler for Screenshots:

Controls:
  • Arrow keys - Move the crosshairs
  • Z key - Fires weapon
  • Shift key - Reload
  • X key - Equip Laser Cannon
  • A key - Equip Shortwave Barrel
  • S key - Equip Needler
  • D key - Equip Super Nova

Well, that's the game in a nutshell. A demo is attached below, so try it for yourself and wish me luck in the contest!

PS. The game looks and plays a lot better on fullscreen.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 11:30:30 PM by Dr_Zylos »

Rep:
Level 87
:O Oooo, looks awesome Zylos, good job!

I'm going to download RIGHt now. :D

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Why thank you, Redwyn.

I'm open to criticism (either positive or negative) so that I know what things to change before the deadline.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
It looks neat. Good luck.

House of Nostalgia
Rep:
Level 87
You loved it.
Upon closer inspection of this game, I would have to say it is rather well made. Your choice of controls is easy to use and the game in itself is easy to play but not too easy. I would say that the graphics may need some polishing off however I comend your work once more. I await to see your next project(s). Well Done.

-?

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Looks interesting!
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Basic Info?-Check
Main Character Info?-Check
Screenshots?-Check
Demo?-Check

Movin on up to the projects board.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I moved it again to the proper board.

Anyways, I've got some positive comments so far, but I'd like some actual input on what people thought of the demo.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Sorry Sword - only Finished Projects go into the Root Forum - When a New Project meets requirements it is moved into it's respective maker's board.

Rep:
Level 87
:P
I've played the demo, and I have to say - I'm impressed. The game's very fun to play, the controls are simple, yet they still work, and the graphics and sounds aren't bad. It's also a fairly original idea, something I didn't expect to see in an RPG Maker game. It's a good game, overall.

I did find a gltch though. While using the needler (Not sure about the other guns) if you switch to the laser cannon and then back to the needler, it's ammo is completely restored.

Rep:
Level 97
Is this still being worked on Zylos? I was looking forward to a full release.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Sorry MA, but for now it'll be an abandoned project. I'm currently working on another game, but if this idea is still popular enough I'll come back to it afterward.