RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Visual] Digital Gladiator WIP

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
Some people have asked me to show them how I work, so this thread is for that purpose.  This is a piece that I did for a poster contest.  This is not really a tutorial.  It's just to give you an idea of how I work.

WIP 0 - Click To View

I start of with a very rough sketch.  At this point I have two layers: a bottom layer that is a solid colour fill and a layer for the sketch.  I like to figure out where everything is going to be and how the characters will be posed out.

WIP 1 - Click To View

I create a two new layers (one for the background and one for the characters) and slap on some colour using the sketch as the guide.  Since the digital gladiator is the main focus of this piece, I develop her first.  Notice how I use only a few colours at first.  That is because right now I'm just figuring out lights and darks as well as what colour things will be.  Don't start blending too early.  If you make a mistake and have to change something, you'll end up wasting lots of time.

WIP 2 - Click To View

At this point I've figured out a weapon design.  Also, I start defining the sky.  Notice that although my goal is to make a firey red sky, I still put in blue here and there.  It just balances things out a bit.

WIP 3 - Click To View

I finish rendering the sky at start working on the design of the battle arena.  I start experimenting with the text I will use for this poster.  In all of this I'm keeping the amount of layers I have to a minimum.  This builds confidence and eventually speed so it's good practice.

WIP 4 - Click To View

At this point I've decided upon the layout of the text.   Since the text is on a separate level I hide it so it doesn't get in the way of things.  I also further develop the arena and the people on the ground.

WIP 5 - Click To View

Now it's just render render render!  I'm going for a more realistic 3D look with this piece so I try to make the armour look shiney and structured.  Notice that there are two light sources: the white light from the sun and the red reflected light from the sky.

WIP 6 - Click To View

It's nearing completion now.  As if it wasn't complicated enough before, there is a third light source now: the green light from the energy scythe.  Not much to say here, it's just the long tedious rendering stage.

FINISHED! (without text) - Click To View

Comments and crits greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:01:00 PM by boe »

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
Holy shit!
Thats a great character design...and I love the pose/action/scene/detail of everything around her. Plus, she almost reminds me of a Hellgate: London Templar.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
;DAwesome Job! ;D
Nice choice of colours, by the way.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
Thanks guys.  I'm still working away at this.  I might be able to get another WIP depending on how far I get.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
Also, I just noticed that the lighting on the other soldiers' armor is astounding- especially on the leftmost soldier's  shoulder and helmet.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Man Gary, awesome work!
Arlen is hot.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
:D
your skills are amazing!  :o
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
Thanks a lot guys.  Another update.  So close yet so far.

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
Well it's done.  So now you know basically how I make my pictures. =)

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
let me to be the first to say

AMAZING

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
 :o *faints*

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
Thanks guys.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Like Magic!
Super-Awesome Job, garygill.
 ;D
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Awesome details, you rock man.
You rock.
Arlen is hot.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
No seriously, I fee bad for using the word amazing...it's a big smaller than the word you deserve. YOUR WORK IS _______ <- THAT DAMN GOOD!

I will sticky this ^^
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Wow, that looks great.

Banned
Rep:
Level 91
I AM A MASSIVE FAGGOT
To quote Mike:

"I really am running out of compliments"

Amazing.

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
Wow I'm really glad you like it.  I hope it helped a bit.

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
Definitely far better than what I can do currently, but without contrasting, that's a great piece of art!

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
Thank you very much!