RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
The use of revival items/spells in RPGs.

Rep:
Level 88
Professional Chocobo Hunter
Ok, so your fighting a tough enemy and he kills one of your guys. No problem, you probably have a stash of Phoenix Downs or your white mage has Raise/Life. You bring em back, and continue on as usual.

Why is it then, when someone dies in the storyline, does everyone suddenly become retarded and not use said items or spells?

FFVII for example.

I think it was a great plot twist that aeris died. The only thing nagging me was the fact that nobody used an item or revival spell.

Now I know what your thinking:

"Alerith you silly boy, in battle, you only get knocked out. You don't actually die."

Ok, Ill go with that for a few seconds.

Ok, im done. If that was the case, then why would you end in a game over? Are you so knocked out that you don't realize something is eating your face?

And why else would the spell be called "Death"? Sure "Knock Out" doesnt sound as cool, but at least it works!

And what about in FFX? If your main party dies, you get the ol Game Over. Your secondary party characters just walk away and go "Shit.....oh well. The world is doomed now."

A character dies in battle, someone revives them.
A character dies otherwise, everyone plans a funeral.

Wth?
Crystal Collection - On hold.

FF:Dark Symphony - 12%
Demo: May 10th, 2007

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Here's my theory.

"Death" in a battle isn't really death. You're really just getting beaten to within an inch of your life, and you've been knocked unconscious. The Phoenix Down revives you from your KO'd state and restored some of your health.
Like, in a battle, you can react, and dodge attacks. Maybe not completely dodge them, but make it so they avoid hitting vital organs, and thus you just pass out from loss of blood.

If everyone gets knocked out, then there's nobody left to stop the monsters from having their way with you, and eating your faces off and shit. THAT'S why it's game over if everyone passes out.

As for the Death spell and FFX's game over, I've got nothing. =\

Aeris was stabbed through the stomach. It's a little more serious, I guess. ???
Or was it more through the heart than the stomach? Either way, what I'm getting at is that Sephy hit a vital organ, there. That's serious shit.

Eh, that's what I think.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 06:57:26 PM by arlenreyb »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
And what about in FFX? If your main party dies, you get the ol Game Over. Your secondary party characters just walk away and go "Shit.....oh well. The world is doomed now."

;D I noticed that too... they fixed that in FF12.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
How about; it's that way to make the game work =/
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Some FF's even call it "K.O." or "Swoon" (Ha, that was my favorite.) status, rather than Death. Anyway it doesn't matter.

Because if it worked on actual dead people... nobody'd be dead! You'd have people living forever, and there'd be some really gross old wrinkly people walking around.
:tinysmile:

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Lol, I know about that thing, too. This here describes it really good:

Quote from: console RPG clichés No. 153
"Mommy, why didn't they just use a Phoenix Down on Aeris?"
Don't expect battle mechanics to carry over into the "real world."

That's why I like to use the term "Defeated". If your party members all are defeated the bad guys kill them. Bang! Game Over!
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
So hey, Phantasy Star 4? Play it.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
The whole death/pheonix down thing has bothered me since I was like 11. And when Genreal Leo died in FF6. I was like, 'hey this guy is awesome, pheonix down the guy already!' So i've also wondered why if you die in battle a pheonix down is okay, but in a cut scene you're permanently gone.

I've always wondered why that worked.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Behold, a prime example of a plot hole.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
No no no. When a cutscene starts, you're teleported to an alternate dimension where the physics are different.

Silly humans.

Actually, that bugs me to, but how else, as Roph mentioned, could you make game mechanics work?

Rep:
Level 96
Did anyone read my post yet?

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Guns don't kill people. Magic missiles do.
What post?  I don't see any post.

Rep:
Level 96

Irock touched your custom title
Rep:
Level 89
It's just how a game works. I suppose we could always complain to the maker. :P