RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Legend of Dragoon

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Maybe I just got, like, a weird ROM file or something, but I tried playing this game, and I gave up on it. Really, I thought it was terrible. The music was kinda neat, but the translation was awful, the voice acting was deplorable, and the storyline had tons of "oh that's convenient" moments, and no real transitions or backbone to it, and ugh, I just couldn't play it anymore. I gave up after an hour or so.

So am I missing something? IGN says this game is a 7. I'd give it a 5. Why does everyone else say this game is incredible?!

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Because its battle system is fucking amazing.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Because its battle system is fucking amazing.

most people rate the game only after disk one..the gay disk, believe me keep playing it and you will fall in love. Its great for ps1 game imo. Great characters, AMAZING cutsceens, fun ass battle's..and much more.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I don't even remember LoD having voice acting...

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
Oh, wait, when you do a full addition in combat they shout it's name. I don't really see your problem though.  :-X

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
It does during movie-scenes and such. They were pretty horrid. Not as bad as MMX4's though. THEY were truely dreadful.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Ya, but not much of it...only one's I remember was shanna saying DART, and stuff and that one time in the cave when shanna gets attacked by the snake in Disk 1...maybe thats what he is talking about.

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
There's also the ending sequence and the beginning movie, etc. Where....*SPOILERS*

Melbu Frahma and Dart's dad sound horrid. I don't mind them...but they are soo robotic.

that's basically it.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
the voice acting in the first movie at the start of the game was fine

anyways IMO

best ps1 game ever.

Rep:
Level 96
IGN: 7/10
Gamespot: 6.4/10
Gamepro: 5/10
RPGamer: 3/5

Quote from: rpgamer
The good graphics fail to cover up the poor battle system and interface though. ... Dragoon's battle system is less than stellar.

Best ps1 game ever? ???
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 01:13:52 AM by arlenreyb »

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
Poor battle system? Less than stellar? LoD is one of the few RPGs I can actually play for more than 5 minutes without quitting out of boredom.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
yes, I have seen all teh scores way before this topic was created, and I always go WTF when I read them. THe game was GREATNESS imo, story is always made fun of by the game ratings, I think the moon child/black monster thing kicks ASS

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Poor battle system? Less than stellar? LoD is one of the few RPGs I can actually play for more than 5 minutes without quitting out of boredom.

They must be comparing it to Final Fantasy's battle system(s), which are obviously, never dull or boring and always highly entertaining, while maintaining a sense of originality and variety which is never repeated; not even once.
:tinysmile:

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
LOD battle system was NEVER boring, new additions, different speeds in the button press timing and everything..freeking transform to adraggon, get nwe moves..

Rep:
Level 96
And one battle takes about 10 minutes to finish, meanwhile you're completely forgetting where you're supposed to go or what's going on in the story because you get one of those "never boring" 10 minute battles every 5 steps you take.

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
It's real good and all...but I wasih the enemies gave more EXP. They give worthless Experience and the only time I ever leveled up was after a boss battle. I COULD NOT sit for an hour just to gain a level. That's basically the only bad part about it all.

Still...I WOULD rather FF. I don't know why...that's just me. None of the games have let me down yet.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
please don't judge a game by the first disk, and some reviews...play it all the way through or at least finish teh third disk, and I swear you will change this whole thing to I LOVE LOD...(so I'm gussing you won't be playing my sequal..lol  ;D)

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
It's real good and all...but I wasih the enemies gave more EXP. They give worthless Experience and the only time I ever leveled up was after a boss battle. I COULD NOT sit for an hour just to gain a level. That's basically the only bad part about it all.

Still...I WOULD rather FF. I don't know why...that's just me. None of the games have let me down yet.

I know what you mean, I was scared at how little my level was at when I faced melbu at the end of the game...guess what being a 34 is average, and more then enough to beat the boss...notice how much stronger you get each level, thats why you don;t need to have soo much exp and be a level 100 at the end.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I don't see why you would want to grind in any game ever anyways. What a gigantic waste of time. If you have to sit around and kill enemies over and over again then the game isn't good. It's just a big waste of time. It's like pointless filler episodes in anime. Just pointless shit to take up time. A good game should keep you going constantly.

Rep:
Level 96
A good game should adjust to your level so, regardless of whether or not you grind, it's still challenging.

I should add that to my list.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
Kinda like FF8? Only, FF8 is easy no matter what.

Ohh, or maybe like Oblivion? Oh wait, if your abilities are mostly non-combat oriented and you don't abuse the system the game actually gets harder as you level up.

It's good in theory, but I've yet to see it turn out well in practice.

Rep:
Level 96
Yeah, exactly. FF8 and a few other games had the right idea, but they still weren't challenging enough.

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
yeah..since the monsters leveled up with you. That was a rather nice feature.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
IGN: 7/10
Gamespot: 6.4/10
Gamepro: 5/10
RPGamer: 3/5

Quote from: rpgamer
The good graphics fail to cover up the poor battle system and interface though. ... Dragoon's battle system is less than stellar.

Best ps1 game ever? ???

RPGamer can kiss my ass. While LOD's battle system is really its only redeeming feature, it was an excellent redeeming feature at that.

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
Melbu was a bitch. I HATED him because he was so cheap. WHY in gods name does he have so many forms!? and WHY does it skip 2 or 3 generations? I never understood that.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
Chalk it up to the fact that Sony isn't capable of making an awesome game.  They have awesome ideas, as evident in LOD and Shadow of the Colossus, but aren't very good at executing them.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
hopefully Lod2 for ps3...if so I would cry...and anyone know how to get ps1 games on psp, without paying?

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I dont know why it got such a low score, I would have given it an 8 or a 9. in my opinion its the only thing sony hasn't fucked up (but lets not get into that).  the battle system is GREAT, its always evolving and you can beat the game and not even get half the moves, the dragoons as well as Kongol who can or if you are a retard not be a dragoon, and the first disc was a little slow, but by the time you were going off to fight virages, it really picks up, and emporer doel is kickass.  it is my favorite RPG, I think because I played it when I was like 10, loved it, and half the time I played it I was half asleep and dreaming, and now I remember it as this HUGE adventure spawning four discs and all those characters, and that powerhouse kongol.  god I love that game, I have to find that rom and the emulater. Link please?

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
in my opinion its the only thing sony hasn't fucked up (but lets not get into that).

Read what I said above. Sony has good ideas but sucks at executing them.

Rep:
Level 88
iam confused ???
w0rd

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
IM HAPPY!

Just got legend of dragoon to play on my psp!!!!!!!!!  ;D

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
yeah..since the monsters leveled up with you. That was a rather nice feature.

:tpg: That defeats the entire purpose of leveling up!
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
eh, not really...I hate easy as hell games, level up high enough to beat the game with a single slash is gay.

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
NO! not to make them easy!

FF10- I can't beat a boss so I train, I fight the boss again but this time I barly beat it with 55 hp left or such...

FF8- I can't beat a boss so I train, I fight it again but lose AGAIN, because it is also stronger...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 07:40:14 AM by BanisherOfEden »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
FF10- Morons level to beat bosses, rather than use stratagy.

FF8- Easier in order to compensate for players not being able to outlevel their foes, and thusly boring.

Rep:
Level 96
Morrowind - Adjustable difficulty level, found in the options menu. Win.

Rep:
Level 96
I does have a stratagy! It's called getting all my Aeons to overdrive then useing them to kill the boss in one turn.

I loved beating the second to last boss with 1 hit!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 09:03:05 PM by BanisherOfEden »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
eh, not really...I hate easy as hell games, level up high enough to beat the game with a single slash is gay.
agreed.

Rep:
Level 96
I still maintain that Morrowind is one of the best games, in terms of difficulty. You start out totally worthless, and can barely handle fighting a fucking crab, but if you keep at it it becomes much easier, but along comes something that just rocks your world. Because sometimes just hacking and slashing doesn't work, so you switch to casting some spells, learn to dodge, use some potions, and if it's still too easy you can up the difficulty level any time you want, even, like, mid-battle.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
It's one of the only games I've ever played where I was literally SCARED to go somewhere for fear of dying. Dunno why, but that game brought emotional involvement to a whole new level for me.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
I got scared in Metal Gear Solid 3 sometimes. But only on my first play through. After watchin the shagohod chase that one chick on the motor bike and go around in circles for an eternity, the whole fear thing kinda wore off.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
Hm hm hm...
ive never played LoD
(le gaspe!)

they should remake it.

preferably for PS3 or DS.

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Prefferably for Wii, it could take the LoD battle system to a whole new level.  but isnt LoD made by Sony? so I doubt it would come out for Wii.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
they arent making a second one.  :tpg:

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
if Nintendo got interested in it they could buy the series from sony for a low price, since they dont plan to ever use it, right?

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Believe me...LOD is considered a FAIL project in rpg history....no one wants to buy it..

*pulls out psp and plays end of second disk*

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
god damn why did the only one I like have to be a miserable failure, I heard it was because it was released around the same time as FF7.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
people, to tell you the truth found the story to be bad, flaws in the battle system. Most views said the dragoon transformation thing wasn't that great!

still..remains my fav game till this day...next to halo2  :D

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
how can they find the battle system flawed? it was godly.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
true. I actually enjoyed the story too. The moon child and black monster shit RULED...maybe its why I'm making it into a fan game  ;D

but seriously the addition system was OMFG amazing.

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
yeah, I had all of Kongol's moves, my whole party was like level 56 when I beat the game, Kongol was over 70 lol.  he owned.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
ya I beat the game my first time with only my teams highest member at 32...then I beat the game 16 more time...now Im here playing it again/  ;D

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
32?  I just dont beleive it.  in the third disc before Meru gets her Dragoon stone, the person you fight for it killed my level 35s in one hit.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
no way. The one thing people hate about lod is how hard they think it is to level up. If you read most guides they say if your 35 you can beat the last boss.

Rep:
Level 88
I think Legend of Dragoons is one of the greatest RPGs of all time. You really do only need to be like lvl 35-40 to beat the entire game, but any true RPer doesn't settle for that. It really doesn't take THAT long to train, and it has some optional bosses as a goal. My only problem (but this is understandable considering its time) it doesn't give you areason to powerhouse train to 99 or more, or to train early in the game (no surprise/early optional/rare fights). Still, an amazing storyline (not stolen from FFVII, that's just a result of Final Fantasy fundamentalists, like Islam fundamentalists), great fighting, good dialogue, and just general fun makes this one of my favorite games.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
like Islam fundamentalists)

what does that have to do with anything on this topic?

Rep:
Level 88
The television was saying Islamic fundamentalists as I was typing Final Fantasy fundamentalists. Ya know? Those psychos who feel that any other RPG lacks things that are in Final Fantasys, and then when an RPG has an FF feature, they blame it for copying the Final Fantasys.