RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
AG- Limit Breaks

Rep:
Level 88
Professional Chocobo Hunter
Ok, everyone really seems to want a way to implement Limit Breaks into their games, so here it is:

Note: This particular Limit Break system works where you can only use a limit break after acquiring a key item. Then when your HP drops below 50%, the limit break option becomes available. You then select which limit break you will want to use from the list, and then that action is performed. This limits each character to 4 unique limit breaks.

I recommend giving your character one of the items right at the start of the game or else you won't have any limits.

Alerith's Guides: Limit Breaks

Ok, this starts off easily enough. Begin by completing these preliminary steps:

Step 1: Create the animation and skill for activating a Limit Break.
Note: This is just for selecting to use the Limit option. The actual spell animations come after.

Step 2:  Create the spell/limit animations and spell/limits you will want your character to be able to perform.

Step 3: Create the items your character needs to posses for each limit.

Step 4: Create only one Common Event for each character and name it something.
Example: Common Event 01: Limit - <Hero1>
                Common Event 02:  Limit- <Hero2> etc.

Step 5: Have the Limit Break skill point to the common event for the hero.

Step 6: Create two status effects: Limit and Limit Recovery. Nothing special about Limit. Limit Recovery should disable actions for one turn then have a 100% chance of recovery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we go, I will use Squall from FF8 to demonstrate.

Change status <squall (or whoever)>: Inflict  LIMIT
Conditional Branch: Item [Lionheart] is possessed:

This puts you in Limit mode and checks to make sure you have the required item for the Limit Break.

Change status <Hero>: Inflict  LIMIT
Display Message: Please select a Limit Break.
       Show Choices: Lionheart
               [Lionheart] Handler:
                                         Force Action [Hero1]: Lionheart, Perform Now.
           Change status <Hero>: Remove Limit
           Change status <Hero>: Inflict Limit Recovery
           Change skills <Hero>: Remove skill Limit Break
           End Event Processing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boom! Your limit break is now in place. Now the extremely complicated part comes in when you want more than one limit break per person. And since I know you do, here is what you do. You will need to replicate this same limit break 3 more times. (While still within the same common event.)

Its going to look horribly confusing, and ill admit, sometimes even I get lost. But focus in and you will see it. After the first is done, you must then add it again, but this time add it so that if you posses another limit break item, you can select it or the previous one. When done, it should look something similar to this:

[Lionheart] Handler:
           End Event Processing

Conditional Branch: Item [Phoenix Core] is possesd:
       Show Choices: Lionheart, Blasting Zone
               [Lionheart] Handler:
           End Event Processing
               [Blasting Zone] Handler:
                                           Force Action [Hero1]: Blasting Zone: Perform Now.
             End Event Processing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boom! You can now select up to 2 limit breaks. I hope you see the pattern by now, because now you can give your character up to 4 limit breaks by following it. With 4 limit breaks, this is what your common event will look like:

[Lionheart] Handler:
           End Event Processing

Show Choices: Lionheart, Blasting Zone
               [Lionheart] Handler:
           End Event Processing
               [Blasting Zone] Handler:
             End Event Processing.

Conditional Branch: Item: [Cloud Soul] is possesed
       Show Choices: Lionheart, Blasting Zone, Climhazzard
               [Lionheart] Handler:
           End Event Processing
               [Blasting Zone] Handler:
             End Event Processing.
                [Climhazzard] Handler:
                                           Force Action [Hero1]: Climhazzard: Perform Now.
               Change status <Hero>: Inflict Limit Recovery           Change skills <Hero>: Remove skill Limit Break
                End Event Processing.

Conditional Branch: Item [Phoenix Core] is possessed:
        Conditional Branch: Item: [Cloud Soul] is possessed:
           Conditional Branch: Item: [Dark Orb] is possessed:
       Show Choices: Lionheart, Blasting Zone, Climhazzard, Dark Strike
               [Lionheart] Handler:
           End Event Processing
               [Blasting Zone] Handler:
             End Event Processing.
                [Climhazzard] Handler:
                                           Force Action [Hero1]: Climhazzard: Perform Now.
                End Event Processing.
                [Dark Strike] Handler:
                                           Force Action [Hero1]: Dark Strike: Perform Now.
                End Event Processing.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your limit breaks must be ordered from greatest to least. Meaning if you have all 4 items, that should be the first. 3 items second, 2 items 3rd and 1 item last. Otherwise you will run through the whole script and repeat the limit over and over.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now just in case your mind is reeling, ill try to put it into English:
Each item is a conditional branch, so if you have the item, you can select the corresponding limit break.

Then a message is displayed asking you to choose your limit break.

Following that, a list appears of which limit breaks you can select, depending on what items you have.

After the limit break is used, you are placed in Limit Recovery status.

Then the Limit Break option is taken away (Unless your health is below 50%, but im getting to that.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To make the skill Limit Break appear, go into your monster groups.

Have each group have an event. The trigger for the page is “<Hero’s HP is below 50%> and the other drop down menu should say “Turn Trigger”.

Now all you have to do is make a trigger that says:

Change Skills <Hero>: Add skill “Limit Break”.

Now, if your HP is below 50%, Limit Break will be an option until you HP goes above 50%.

This prevents the common event from disallowing you to use Limit Breaks again for the battle, while still making it go away if your HP goes above 50%.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there you have it. A Limit Break event. Long, tedious, but well, well worth it. If you are having problems, please let me know.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 09:49:54 PM by Alerith »
Crystal Collection - On hold.

FF:Dark Symphony - 12%
Demo: May 10th, 2007

Rep:
Level 88
The Smexy Babe Magnet
This also looks great of yours and I have to try this out too.  ;D

One question. Is there any way that you wouldn't have to have an item to use it, like getting to a certain level instead? :-\

Got no good story ideas? Try using Seventh Sanctum. It's got millions of generators for things you might need.

Rep:
Level 88
This also looks great of yours and I have to try this out too.  ;D

One question. Is there any way that you wouldn't have to have an item to use it, like getting to a certain level instead? :-\

I THINK so. I haven't tried this so it may not work.

Just change the Conditional Branches that require the items to Conditional Branches that require certain levels.

So basically like this:

Conditional Branch: Item <Lionheart> is possesd

would become:

Conditional Branch: <Hero> is level X

Where X is the level you want that particular limit break to be learned.

The problem is, I don't recall wheter it says "Level is.." or "Level is at least..." Because that means all the difference.

Level is = Limit Break available for that level, then dissapears after level up.

Level is at least = Limit stays with you from that level on.

I'm at school right now so I can't check for sure.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 06:26:32 PM by Alerith »

Rep:
Level 89
What will that crazy ape do next?
alot of people have become so reliant on scripts to do everything, but alot can be done with just events if you work hard enough at it, as you have just proven.  Unfortunately, long events like this tend to cause a lot more lag than a script that does the same thing.

keep up the good work.  I'm curious as to what else can be done without scripting.
My Project: Dark Empire
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,7815.0.html
Official Site: http://darkempirerpg.tripod.com
Process: Getting back to work.

Always looking for sprites, if your interested, PM.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

"Oh, sure, blaim the wizards..."

Rep:
Level 88
alot of people have become so reliant on scripts to do everything, but alot can be done with just events if you work hard enough at it, as you have just proven.  Unfortunately, long events like this tend to cause a lot more lag than a script that does the same thing.

keep up the good work.  I'm curious as to what else can be done without scripting.

Lag hasn't been a problem for me yet, but I still have more stuff to add. So who knows.

As Blizzard has said before, Events are made from scripts, so TECHNICALLY, you can't do anything without scripting. But as far as things for your game, there is a fine line between when you should script and when you sould use events.

I personally like events better. I think the guys who can do the scripting are amazing, but sometimes an event will do the job just as well.

Ill be completely honest and say that I can't script worth crap, but I make up for it in my event and trigger knowlage.

After using RM3K for a while, triggers become second nature.