RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Battle Scripts / Scripting Tutorial

Rep: +0/-0Level 90
I really don't know scripting.  Did some for NWN, but that was years ago, and it had a help program in English so that I could stumble along and figure out what I was doing.

I just switched from RM2k3, so I've got their little event scripting system down fairly well, and can do about 9/10 of the things I want w/ that.

The problem is that I've always wanted a nice, simple battle system that I could manipulate for new abilities, which I couldn't always do in RM2k3; the new scripting system seems a lot more flexible (once you know what you're doing).

In any case, could someone direct me to a basic tutorial on the scripting system RMXP uses?
If not, would it be possible to post what I want to do here, and be given a push in the right direction?

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
Always post as much info about your problem as you can!

So, yes, please post what it is you're wanting to do, this way, you will get help quicker.

Also, there is no scripting in 2003, you just mean using events, so... do you actually mean scripting in XP, or just using events?
:tinysmile:

Rep: +0/-0Level 90
Didn't mean to confuse -- I'm familiar with the event system, and have had no problem using them in my toying around w/ XP.

I'm referring specifically to scripting.

As far as the system I have in mind, it's a fairly straight-forward system -- uses HP, MP as standard RPGs, but I've also included an Energy stat.  The idea is that Energy is fully replenished after every fight, and that nearly all abilities require some Energy expenditure.
Energy is a static stat based on class.  You cannot raise or lower maximum Energy in any way.

(I was trying to think of some way to allow players to use powerful abilities during regular fights while still "saving up" for expected boss fights, and this seemed like a decent way of doing it.)

My system also had a fifth ability stat; I was wondering if inclusion of extra stats was possible.  (If not, I'll live; I'll just rearrange what different stats did.)

Finally, I was just going to use my own equations for Hit rates, etc; I was hoping to have a lower-number game, and the core system for the RM series seems to favor a more Final Fantasy-ish level of numbers.