RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Adding Strategy to Battles

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
I am making a RPG with RPGM2k, and everything is OK, except for the battles. I want my battles to require strategy, but all that's coming up is "Attack with your strongest attack"
Not much strategy. So how do you make it so the player has to use strategy.

Rep:
Level 91
hmm try thinking i suppose..
make buffing skills, make the enemies have a chance to take buffs off and deal damage so you gotta be careful with buffs, make stuff work better on monster X but sux bad on monster Y and normal on monster Z
and so on..

it's really hard and demands alot of thought to make a battle require thinking, it's more likely than not used only for bosses at most games, including successful ones.
holy shit my sig was big!

For a really good example of battles requiring strategy, I suggest you play the "The Way" series by Lun.  There is no leveling up and every battle can become like a boss battle if you just hammer away at the enter key to use the attack command.  But if you're too lazy to try that game out, here's some pointers.

1)  Have enemies utilize attributes, and make a variety of weapons and items that vary in strength but have different attributes associated with them.  For example, don't Final Fantasy it and have a straight shot of weapons getting stronger and making previous weapons useless until you get an Ultimate Weapon of ZOMFGLOLZ Uberness.  That's overdone way too much.

2)  For projectile based weapons, script a skill that requires you to load the weapon first, and if the weapon isn't loaded, have the attack be a weaker 'unarmed' attack instead.  Example: Character with bow wants to attack an enemy, but bow isn't loaded, so he hits the enemy with his fists.  Furthermore, make weapons require skill points or an equivalent to use.

3)  Make the enemy parties as specialized as your party usually is.  Create 'healer' enemies, 'attacker' enemies, 'wizard' enemies, etc., and integrate them into monster parties so that you have to eliminate them in a certain order so that you don't, um, die.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
This could take alot of scripting, and may not be possible. Have an enemy act like FF6's Magimater. Only magic works, and his elemental weaknes shifts during the battle. For examle, if it shifts to fire, every other element heals him and only fire hurts him. Give the boss gobs of HP and have it's weakness shift every few turns. if done right that would be one hard batle.

If any one knows how to do that, tell me. I should do that in my next game.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
You should note that scripting is not possible in RPGM2K

Quote from: FuMannChu
This could take alot of scripting, and may not be possible. Have an enemy act like FF6's Magimater. Only magic works, and his elemental weaknes shifts during the battle. For examle, if it shifts to fire, every other element heals him and only fire hurts him. Give the boss gobs of HP and have it's weakness shift every few turns. if done right that would be one hard batle.

If any one knows how to do that, tell me. I should do that in my next game.

You can do that in RM2k.  You just need to edit the event scripts for that particular monster party.  You can set all sorts of switches and turn counters to do whatever you want with the monster.  And attributes will accomplish the weaknesses stuff with little or no mess.