RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Is ADHD an actual "disorder"?

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
Also, you guys are really mean. You do realize you can have debates without swearing or calling each other idiots, right?
No, in fact I was completely unaware of that. :V

And I'm sorry arlen, I deffinetly agree with djangonator on this one. It's just an excuse. I knew plenty of kids who acted like that, even did a little of it myself. It is in the nature of children to be childish. Theres no need to supress that with medication or to give them an excuse to fuck around.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
I'm just going to state my opinion, and not bother reading through the other posts, like most other people do, you know, to see what it's like.

I think ADD is real, and ADHD as well, to a much lesser extent. Although from my experience, most people who think they have it, really don't. Why do we have to live in a society today where everything has to be labeled as some sort of disorder or disease or illness?

For example:
Obesity - not a disease.

Oh, no! You're child is really hyper, they must have ADHD! Or maybe more likely they're just being a normal kid, or probably even more likely, you let them drink to much sodas. =\
:tinysmile:

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Again, it's not about whether or not the symptoms are present. It's about to what DEGREE the symptoms are present. Does every kid have AD(H)D? Not all, no, but to some extent, yes! Does every kid that has it really need medication? NO! Do some kids have it worse than others? YES! I am living proof! LOOK AT ME!

I feel you contradicted yourself here.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Also, you guys are really mean. You do realize you can have debates without swearing or calling each other idiots, right?
No, in fact I was completely unaware of that. :V

And I'm sorry arlen, I deffinetly agree with djangonator on this one. It's just an excuse. I knew plenty of kids who acted like that, even did a little of it myself. It is in the nature of children to be childish. Theres no need to supress that with medication or to give them an excuse to fuck around.
Here's what I don't get about your point; how is ADHD giving children an excuse to fuck around? If anything, from your point of view, it's doing the exact opposite, and killing what it means for them to be a child.
Again, it's not about whether or not the symptoms are present. It's about to what DEGREE the symptoms are present. Does every kid have AD(H)D? Not all, no, but to some extent, yes! Does every kid that has it really need medication? NO! Do some kids have it worse than others? YES! I am living proof! LOOK AT ME!

I feel you contradicted yourself here.
I don't, so would you care to explain?

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Does every kid have AD(H)D? Not all, no, but to some extent, yes!

You just said every kid has it but doesn't have it. That counts as contradicting yourself. Pick one or the other, because you can't have both.

Rep:
Level 96
Does every kid have AD(H)D? Not all, no, but to some extent, yes!

You just said every kid has it but doesn't have it. That counts as contradicting yourself. Pick one or the other, because you can't have both.

Not really. Did you even read anything else in the post? You know, like
it's not about whether or not the symptoms are present. It's about to what DEGREE the symptoms are present.
Maybe I wasn't being clear enough, but here's what I was saying:

Everyone's saying all kids have AD(H)D symptoms. I agree with that. A lot of kids don't like to concentrate on schoolwork or what have you, some kids have it worse. Like I did. Those kids might need medication, and those are the kids that "really" have AD(H)D.

I guess it wasn't all that clear, sorry.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Good, I think that will stop further confusion.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
I agree with arlen, very much, I'm not saying that it is impossible to have symptoms of what we call ADHD, I just disagree that it should be labeled a disorder.

Just a side-comment, but when I was going to school in Pennsylvania, HALF THE PEOPLE I KNEW were on the stuff. It was creepy, because they were all zombies. Any time they acted different from that or LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, the teachers sent them to the nurse for medicine or wrote them detentions for "acting out". THAT is what pisses me off.

Rep:
Level 96
Oh, and for the record, I'm on the fence as to whether or not it's actually a "disorder" as well. It exists, yes, in my opinion, and the symptoms are common for children, but that doesn't mean severe cases don't exist and something shouldn't be done about it.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
It's completely over blown, seriously such behavoir is a child being a child. I was a spaz when I was a kid, and I swore all the time, which is beside the point, but I was a spaz and every one thought it was normal, except for the swearing.