RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RESOLVED] Converting Graphic Files (rm2k/3)

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
When creating monster graphics, I begin by using an incompatible format for RM2K in order to create smoother looking images (usually .xcf, GIMP's default format), then try to convert to .png or .bmp to import the files into the program.  Doing so either bugs out the colors, retains the red background in the graphic itself when imported, or doesn't work at all.  I'm wondering how to convert files like this to a suitable format and still keep the original quality within RPG Maker, or any other methods for creating quality graphics without having to draw them pixel by pixel.
Thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 03:23:00 AM by deadly_diablo »

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
cant you just open the file in paint and then save the file under a new name?
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

I've tried numerous things like that, and nothing's worked.

So it's been something like 2 months.  No one knows anything about this?

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
OH MY.

Get Photoshop, or gimp, export to a png with a solid background.

Rep:
Level 88
I enjoy creating Character Sprites.....
Give me your E-mail adress, and I will try to send you my photo editor.

ArcSoft PhotoStudio.....
Make sure that the juice was worth the squeeze

Get Photoshop, or gimp, export to a png with a solid background.
I might be misinterpreting what you're suggesting, but I've tried exporting the RPG Maker files to .png files and then pasting my graphic over them.  That bugs out the colors (makes my greens become blacks and grays).  I've also tried simply saving my graphic file as a .png, but the transparency fails and I'm left with some random holes in the graphic and a solid color background.  So maybe walk me through exactly what you mean.

Oh, and just to make this clear, I already have and am using GIMP, so I don't need another photo editor program.
Thanks for the replies!

*sigh*

Then let me try this.  Who here has made his/her own monster graphics in RM2K, and how did you do it?

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I start it off as a 256 bmp.

Export a few monsters, open them in paint, copy YOUR monster then paste them into the exported ones, each exported monster should give your monster a different colour range, just find the one that looks the closest to the original and save.

Kind of a pain in the ass, but it worked.
Thanks a lot!

Rep:
Level 92
Welcome Poster of Year 2006 Award
This topic is now resolved and stickied. This is some useful information.
Do you want to be part of a growing Gaming Community, with many galleries, comics, active community, and gfx artists? Also known to be friendly. Also want some free anime music just for signing up? Play in the arcade?

Click Community Forums to join!

< Zelda Fan Club

Rep:
Level 85
[s][s]twat[/s][/s]
Could have done with knowing that info a month ago...
http://billybullshot.blogspot.com

Go here and play my game.

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
I tried this and it didn't work for me. I have photoshop cs2 although I know almost nothing about it, execpt the few things that I figured out on my own. I Have a monster that is a copy of one of my characters already. The picture still puts in the background which is green, yet when I tried to copy the pic, delete the background and save with a transparent background in RBG 8 bit, I flatten the image and it still says invalid color depth. What Am I doing wrong? The file works before but not after?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I start it off as a 256 bmp.

Export a few monsters, open them in paint, copy YOUR monster then paste them into the exported ones, each exported monster should give your monster a different colour range, just find the one that looks the closest to the original and save.

Rep: +0/-0Level 68
RMRK Junior
I just tried the suggested solution.

I have the error, "Can't create (filepath) file."

Help?

RMRK Junior
Sorry to double post, but now I'm getting an entirely different error.

When I save to the designated size in Paint, it gives me an error saying it's too large. But when I save after resizing it, it says it's unsupported.

I think it doesn't like my sprites.

RMRK Junior
Alright, sorry for the triple post.

I have the solution to my problems, and I managed to figure it out, despite the lack of assistance.

If anyone using RPGmaker 2000 has the "Invalid size" error, check the folders you're trying to import to. Chances are, that's 90% of your problem right there. If you're having the "Unsupported" error, save to .bmp extension. Not .png, not .xyz, it has to be .bmp.

Anyway, onwards to the completion of my game! (hopefully...)