RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Top 10 Game Plot Cliches'

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
question, is basing a game on "revenge" that bad?
depends.

Why is it revenge? if its getting your village burned down, your uncle killed, your parents killed, somthing stolen, or your kingdom getting taken over, then yes.

very yes.

<3
Rep:
Level 90
There is also the whole "chosen one" in all games. Like, chosen to wield the Keyblade, chosen to save the world, chosen to kill XXX, chosen to be the heir of XXX, chosen by XXX for personal training from XXX, chosen to be the main character of the game, etc. So you see, EVERY game has chosen SOMEONE or SOME PEOPLE to be the main character of the game.

~Winged

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
being too lazy to read the whole thread after the first post and this page, i have to say something.

All the "cliches" only had 1 example. Wtf?

you realize that means that each game is being original by how the thread starter posted?

You should have read it, I said something like that in my first post in this thread.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Hell, I've said this should be fully removed from the tut section because it is by no means a tut.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
being too lazy to read the whole thread after the first post and this page, i have to say something.

All the "cliches" only had 1 example. Wtf?

you realize that means that each game is being original by how the thread starter posted?

You should have read it, I said something like that in my first post in this thread.

oh. sorry blizz.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Lol, I just realized I skimmed Yossy's post, too. >.<

@Yossy: I watched the D&D movie and it was... too Disney-stylish. :-\
Visit our website.

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
My two cents:  Just about every idea has been done.  What seperates cliche from good stuff is what you do with the idea.  For example, the hero sacraficing himself to save the world has been done countless times (everything from the story of Jesus Christ to Neo in the Matrix).  But if you can take that basic premise and do something unique or orininal with it to keep it fresh and interesting then there isn't a problem.  Don't rehash the same old tired stuff, but don't feel restricted from using an idea just because it has been done before; because "it's all been done" (Barenaked Ladies song  ::))

darkace77450

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Actually it's not all already been done. But the stuff that isn't is actually that crappy, nobody would do it. I guess parodies are the only things that are kind of 100% original these days. :-\
Visit our website.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I had an idea for a game... ok, a guy hears that a demon will attack the world and kill millions (he hears from a fortune teller) and he sets out on a quest to get more power so he can slay the demon... slowly as he gains more power he loses more of his mind... and in the end it turns out he was the demon.

I was trying to make as CLICHless as possible. Did I succeed?
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Almost. I did 'the hero goes crazy' in the first Soul Refrain.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Hero goes crazy and becomes the villain -> Diablo 2

How about some badass guy who summons the soul of a legendary hero and control him. With this powerful ally he wants to crush the evil organization/kingdom/empire that controls the world to take over the world himself. The "game's hero" is supposed to be the only one who can stop him, because he is the one who knows a lot about the hero's past. Now... YOU PLAY THEM BOTH! One third of the game you play the game hero, one third you play the summoned hero. At the half of the game (or better the 2nd third) they meet in a final encounter. The game's hero tries to gain control over the summoned hero's soul (he didn'Ät know somebody is controlling him...) and the fact that 2 different persons are trying to control him, let's him free himself from both. Now you play them both and try to stop both of the villains: that summoner and that organization (as the game's hero realizes they actually are evil and the summoned hero knows they are evil as he has fought them while under the control of the summoner).

THAT'S what I call using a cliché in the shell, but making a good story.

AND IF YOU USE THE STORY I JUST WROTE, I WILL FIND YOU AND EAT YOUR BALLS!!! >:(
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 09:45:25 AM by Blizzard »
Visit our website.

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Guns don't kill people. Magic missiles do.
Hmm... what if the person who steals the story does not have said reproductory organ?

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Hmm... what if the person who steals the story does not have said reproductory organ?

The I will eat the thief's soul. :diablo:
Visit our website.