RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[DC] Forlorn Manor (COMPLETE)

Rep:
Level 88
Where IS he hiding the knife...?
Project of the Month winner for February 2010Project of the Month winner for August 2007
Forlorn Manor

Story

A college student is informed he now owns an old abandoned mansion that was recently being renovated by a distant relative of his birth family, most of whom are dead. He decides to take two friends to see the place during a vaction period, only to arrive in a very nasty storm. What happens next, is up to you!

Characters

Philip: A lazy college student, Philip insisted his friends come along on a trip to see a mansion he owns now by inheritence from a lost relative that tried to renovate it.

Jared: A Computer Science Major, Jennise is one of the three college students out with her friends to see an old abandoned mansion that belongs to one of her friends, Philip, by right of birth.

Jennise: A Liberal Arts Major, Jennise is one of the three college students out with her friends to see an old abandoned mansion that belongs to one of her friends, Philip, by right of birth.

Features

A custom ABS designed for puzzles and gun-based combat!
Anywhere from 1.5 to 5 hours of gameplay!
Challenging thought puzzles and mysteries.

Screenshots

~
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 02:30:00 AM by Nouman »

Rep:
Level 90
This looks fantastic! I will download it right now, but on a 56K modem I will be here a while :-)
community project for RPG Maker VX: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,33789.0.html

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
whoa! anaryu!!! another winner it seems. i dont have time to test it....but damn, you should hve more stars since youre just awesoem!

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
mind if i ask....
1. What tileset's did you used, im trying to find side stairs all over
2. Can I use that message system?
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 88
Project of the Month winner for February 2010Project of the Month winner for August 2007
mind if i ask....
1. What tileset's did you used, im trying to find side stairs all over
2. Can I use that message system?

The message system is Deaublex's/NearFantastica's/XRXS's AMS system, so if you credit those three it's all good!

As for the tilesets, I used RTP tilesets (except for a couple small ones made by Euphony and the basement ones by Zanyzora) with some add-ons I got from hbgames.org by Ccoa, Scriblette, Euphony, and those stairs were by $t3v0. (Check their download manager)

Rep:
Level 89
What will that crazy ape do next?
omfg that message system is awesome!
My Project: Dark Empire
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,7815.0.html
Official Site: http://darkempirerpg.tripod.com
Process: Getting back to work.

Always looking for sprites, if your interested, PM.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

"Oh, sure, blaim the wizards..."

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
You should quit making games. Seriously. It's ruining my theory that no one at these forums ever makes and COMPLETES decent games.  :P

Nice job, once again.  :)
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 90
I have downloaded it and it does not work. When I try to open the source file it tells me that it cannot be read due to incompatibility between software versions.
community project for RPG Maker VX: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,33789.0.html

Rep:
Level 88
I have downloaded it and it does not work. When I try to open the source file it tells me that it cannot be read due to incompatibility between software versions.

It's created with the updated legal version, which you can download the RTP for here:
http://www.enterbrain.co.jp/tkool/RPG_XP/eng/download.html

Other members might have some other advice as I've never worked with an older version or Postiality Knights. :)

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
ok...its good...but...in the begining there's some lag...umm...im not sure if i should press enter or click on people to talk to them...

what else...

oh, it made my laptop overheat. LOL!

Rep:
Level 88
ok...its good...but...in the begining there's some lag...umm...im not sure if i should press enter or click on people to talk to them...

what else...

Not sure, haven't had lag issues on any of the test machines, even my old 667MHz Windows 98 test machine, although there were a few points where the FPS went down for a little while. I'm surprised on the overheating as well. :)

Again, I am NOT sure how it changes if run on a computer with the Postiality Knights install, as I've never used it before. :(

If your cursor changes over something, it means you can interact with it, if it doesn't change, then not. To talk to people (you can talk to your alt player in the main foyer only really) use the "Talk" skill and click on them.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
ANAR YU ARE AWSOME
Arlen is hot.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice

what else...

Not sure, haven't had lag issues on any of the test machines, even my old 667MHz Windows 98 test machine, although there were a few points where the FPS went down for a little while. I'm surprised on the overheating as well. :)

Again, I am NOT sure how it changes if run on a computer with the Postiality Knights install, as I've never used it before. :(

If your cursor changes over something, it means you can interact with it, if it doesn't change, then not. To talk to people (you can talk to your alt player in the main foyer only really) use the "Talk" skill and click on them.
ooooooooooh..
thanks a bunch! ill try this again tomorrow ^^

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
This looks amazing! I've gotta at least try it.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Cool, another complete game by you. ;D *downloads* I'll play it as soon as I have the time. I have exams in less than 10 days and should be learning instead of playing... >_>

@Halo: What about me and CP? :O

EDIT:

Sorry, but this was really weak. The interface is hard to understand and the mouse doesn't make any sense. It's quite annoying to use the mouse for actions while you are actually using WASD to move. And if you use the default keys... well then the mouse in completely pointless. I have played it for five minutes and gave up on it, because it was so confusing. I don't say it's a bad game, but the interface is. :( An interface should be easy to use and things that you need should be easily available. i.e. You should have added two keys with which you can scroll through available items instead making a menu and using a "hotkey" assignment. :( Didn't expect that from a game by you. :( I don't say the story isn't interesting, I would have really wanted to find out what's it about, but it isn't interesting enough to bother oneself with the interface. :(
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 03:11:19 PM by Blizzard »
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 88
Cool, another complete game by you. ;D *downloads* I'll play it as soon as I have the time. I have exams in less than 10 days and should be learning instead of playing... >_>

@Halo: What about me and CP? :O

EDIT:

Sorry, but this was really weak. The interface is hard to understand and the mouse doesn't make any sense. It's quite annoying to use the mouse for actions while you are actually using WASD to move. And if you use the default keys... well then the mouse in completely pointless. I have played it for five minutes and gave up on it, because it was so confusing. I don't say it's a bad game, but the interface is. :( An interface should be easy to use and things that you need should be easily available. i.e. You should have added two keys with which you can scroll through available items instead making a menu and using a "hotkey" assignment. :( Didn't expect that from a game by you. :( I don't say the story isn't interesting, I would have really wanted to find out what's it about, but it isn't interesting enough to bother oneself with the interface. :(

(Sorry for delayed response!)

Sorry you found the interface so difficult, a scrolling changing item would be useless about 1/3 of the way through you would would be having one heck of a time switching between the items you're holding. (Cycling through 10+ items? Eww.)

I actually liked the Item interface, you used Enter to "use" an item (like a Bandage kit to heal yourself) and used the "E" key to "equip" an item (since cycling through just the normal items for use on the map would, as I mentioned, be VERY frustrating when you had 10 or more (I had it like that and all my beta testers HATED it.)

Also, that way it keeps things standardized, as you can equip/re-arrange skills using hotkey assignment too.

As for using the mouse while using the WASD keys... was I mistaken in using the same key interface layout for movement as basically every single FPS game in computer history? I mean, how else can you use the mouse while moving? Path finding is impossible, since you don't want to move towards an enemy when you're trying to shoot them... and the arrow keys, while left enabled, are hard to use. I only left them working as well as WASD for people with weird keyboard setups or those small external Num Pads for using arrows while gaming.

Any ideas on how the interface could be better would be appreciated, but trust me, the cycling items thing was hated by 10+ people, since you need to use them in a rush and this lets you equip and item during the intense combat. (Boss fights are half puzzle.)

I actually did a lot of things to help improve the interface, like keeping a skill active until you cancel it, so that when you're "pushing" things you don't have to keep clicking a skill or anything tedious like that.

Rep:
Level 88
I'm back :P
wow freakin crazy! the scripts you used are awesome ;8

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Project of the Month winner for November 2008
Wow... this game is godly. First complete survival horror game on rmxp that I ever bothered playing for more than 10 mins. Gratz man

- -

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Sorry, but this game needs a bump?
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
The Hated One
This is wicked awesome great job!!!!!
Legacy: The Gatekeeper- Demo 2.0 Now Avaliable

Rep:
Level 88
Screenshots and download links are fixed!

Sorry for the downtime, I've moved to a new host.

Please let me know if anyone has problems, thanks!

Rep:
Level 90
This is still the best RPG Maker game I've ever played. I'm stuck with the ink well.

Rep:
Level 88
I think the sprites changed :(

Also, HOW THE HECK DO I GET BOTH PLAYERS PAST THE DAMN GATE?!

Rep:
Level 88
The cut scenes once your in are the real tips to the next puzzle. You can get the Ink Well a bit before you can use it, actually, it will only become useful once you can get into the library. :)

As for getting both characters into the gate, the key is the metal rod down in the chest in the small shack's basement. One character can open the gate, while the other can use that to get the gate "stuck" open so both can go into the mansion.

I've thought about writing a strategy guide for this, only one person has ever finished this game that I know of. ^_^

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for July 2008Project of the Month winner for May 20072011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I've no idea why this thread has so little replies, it's one of the most refreshing games out here and very well made.