RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
LOL SQUARE-ENIX

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Old news, but no one has mentioned it around here yet...

http://ds.ign.com/articles/732/732509p1.html

Well, now we have FF XII to look forward to. It's FF X-2 all over again.  ::)
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

edit: hey, wait, that's weird. A Playstation game follow-up being on a Nintendo handheld. :O

edit: pedophile much?

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
yeah...i knew about this. it really depends how much work goes into it, what with FFIII, dragon warrior monster: joker, etc. i guess sqaure is fucking huge though.

Anyways, i think it could do well. it should have 3d graphics, at the very least.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I'd hit it.

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
No way I think FFII is one of the est top three games to ever come out on the ps2 with the coolest battle system founded(althought I miss the battle music) it was certainly great. I think you people are spoiled by Square anyway I mean each Final Fantasy game is a real fantasy game that should only come out every 10 years. But Square is there to make it possible for 5 years.

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Guns don't kill people. Magic missiles do.
If the series is called FINAL fantasy, why are there so many of them?

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Square sucked pretty much and "Final Fantasy" was supposed to be the last try, therefore "Final". Well, it was a success...

FFXII on GBA reminds me of FFIX. I bet they already have FFXIV, FFXV and FFXVI in early development as it seems they want to base the series on quantity instead of quality. ::)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 04:48:15 PM by Blizzard »
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 96
Square sucked pretty much and "Final Fantasy" was supposed to be the last try, therefore "Final". Well, it was a success...
Which is bizarre, in my opinion, because I thought FF (I) was, like, the worst game I've ever played.

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Consider the standards at the time.

Was FF1 the first game to allow a player to manually select the entire makeup of the team members, in class and skills?  I think so.  I could be mistaken.

I know Mega Man was the first game in which the player was allowed to select which stage they wanted to go to, and in what order.  That simple option opened the door for so many other possibilities.

Rep:
Level 96

Was FF1 the first game to allow a player to manually select the entire makeup of the team members, in class and skills?  I think so.  I could be mistaken.

I know Mega Man was the first game in which the player was allowed to select which stage they wanted to go to, and in what order.  That simple option opened the door for so many other possibilities.
I do consider the standards at the time. Super Mario Bros and Contra and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles games were sweet games. Final Fantasy? Not so much. It was a hassle to play (even just to select targets to attack, because you could lose an entire turn of attacks if the first guy kills the enemy), and music was screachingly horrible. :O

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
THIS JUST IN!!

Due to recent evidence, it would appear that Square has ALWAYS placed quantity over quality!!

No, I can't really say that, because there are instances where their games are massively ahead of what was collectively expected from a video game.  Examples: Chrono Trigger and FF6.  Perhaps even FF7, which was released after an expansive lack of interest in the role-playing genre.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member

I do consider the standards at the time. Super Mario Bros and Contra and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles games were sweet games. Final Fantasy? Not so much. It was a hassle to play (even just to select targets to attack, because you could lose an entire turn of attacks if the first guy kills the enemy), and music was screachingly horrible. :O

Agreed.

I was one of the lucky (?) people who got to play it when NES was still alive, and yet I still thought it was boring. By that point, I was't spoiled by "today's standards" because, well... that was "today's standards". I didn't even like FF 4 (2) at first, not until I got older.

No way I think FFII is one of the est top three games to ever come out on the ps2 with the coolest battle system founded(althought I miss the battle music) it was certainly great. I think you people are spoiled by Square anyway I mean each Final Fantasy game is a real fantasy game that should only come out every 10 years. But Square is there to make it possible for 5 years.

:?

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Yeah, that confused me pretty bad, too. :?

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
Wat the have already decided on doing a sequal? Wat the fuck! It hasnt even been released here yet? There hasnt been a build up eitha.  It has not been mentioned in this country unless its come out of my mouth, FUCK THEM

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
Isn't the DS one (Renavent wings ??) supposed to be a tactics-type of game?  Well...that's what I've heard.  I don't know why they are already advertising this though...when the real XII is not even out yet.  (Well...it is here...but I don't got it >.>)

Look to the Square's greatness I mean every Final fantasy has the most unique system ahead of it. Every FF game is like a god game here it should be respected.

I mean where else do you see a game that has 3 or 4 disc and a dynamic storyline just making you to play it to uncover the story?I bet nothing.

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
The older FFs were seemingly better than the newer ones (VI and back..hough VII was good too)

.Hack has an awsome storyline, better than some FFs...you just have to pay attention to get it.

Still....FF is a reall good series of games ( for me, anyway) and I can't wait for XII, XIII and VS XIII.

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
Wats VS VIII? I cant wait for FFXII And XIII those games are bound to Rock my socks off! But they certainly are taking there time to come out. especially FFXII.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
After FFIX the quality of the series has dropped extremely. That is fact.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
Yea they focused mainly on the graphics instead of the storyline and the characteristic. which degraded them emensly.

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
VS XIII is part of the fabula noa crystalis (I think...) project.  It's an action game for those who would rather an action oriented one rather than a turn based one. VS XIII has no connection to the original XIII what-so-ever.  It takes place in an entirely different world.  The only similarities may be that they both revolve around a crystal of some sort.

I'm glad that they are returning to turn-based gameplay for XIII though...even if it is a faster version of it.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
I would be happy if they just return to a to a solid storyline and character plot. IMO they can use SNES graphics, but PLEASE, SQUARE-ENIX, make it fun to play it! Make it fun anticipating the next cutscene! >:( And not like: "Oh no... Not Tidus talking again... I would smack his face if I could..."
Visit our website.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
or the laughing...

*shudder*

oh...the laughing....

anyways...i havent gotten into XII, even though i got it today. I think that the remake of III will live up to the hype, since essentially its the same gameplay but with better graphics.

They did in Final Fantasy XII even though I didn't understand the beginning because of some heavy English and i'm from the Philippines! Anyway in XII they give it less graphics and longer storylines. I played 6 hours and only 1 Esper, Belias the Gigas.

FFXII is perhaps the greatest game to be released in the PS2!! or even in all the console (except Bully maybe)

Top 5 games in the ps2 ]    Rating
1.Final Fantasy XII          -      9.8
2.Bully                             -      9.8
3.Kingdom Hearts 2        -      9.7
4.Final Fantasy X            -      9.7
5.Smackdown vs RAW06 -     9.6

as you can see from the survey three games made by Square -Enix got into the top 5!

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
ummm...they focused on the graphics alot for FFXII...

and whod you survey?

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
I don't know, but reading Wikipedia's article on the Greatest Video Games of All Time is pretty interesting.  Looks like Nintendo pretty much dominates everything else.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Blah...I don't think I would like FF7 much after reading the article...

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Me neither, but I still want to play it, so I can form a concrete opinion about it.

Have I said that already?  I forget.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Lol Nintendo is still the best, can't believe it. xD

Square never should have seperated from Nintendo. Since then they are going downhills. =/

@Vivi: You are rating FFX that high? You are kidding me, right? The game was rather annoying (except the battle system). These super-duper-über-happy main characters were so what of annoying. Only Auron was kinda okay. The story could have been made better if they just had a better plot. And the greatest disappointment of all: Seymour. I mean, when I first met him, it was obvious, he is the badass in the game and when I finally confronted him at these Snowy mountains and kicked his ass, I stopped playing. He was the most pathetic FF villain I have ever seen. Even Sephiroth wasn't that bad in comparison to Seymour. =/ I'm not sure to give FFX either a 5.1 or just a blank 5.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 97
Square never should have seperated from Nintendo. Since then they are going downhills. =/

I think they may have realized this now, as they're branching out to GBA and Nintendo DS, rather than PSP, heh. I'm sure the main reason they switched to Sony anyway is because the N64 cartridges couldn't hold enough memory. At least on Playstatio, they could make 3-4 disc games. Could you imagine playing FF7 on N64? It wouldn't work, there'd have to be at least 3 cartridges, lol.

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
I'm sure they could have done something, after the expansion pack came around.  Was FF7 so immense?

Rep:
Level 97
Not compared to 8 or 9, but it was too large for Nintendo's capabilities at the time. Now that Nintendo switched to discs for their games, it seems Square-Enix is tending to put more games out with them, and their secondary FF games are going to Nintendo portable consoles as well.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
yeah, plus DS cartriges CAN hold quite a bit, just not as much. Lol, square, youre like a...

em...

i dont know a good analogy.

Rep:
Level 96
You see? THEY ALWAYS COME CRAWLIN' BACK. CRAWLIN' BACK!

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
I wish they would keep goin with sony. it wuld be kickass.

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
I'd like the recent Final Fantasy games if they were... oh, what's the word... oh, yes:  good.

Final Fantasy game is the best series ever......That's the only thing I need to say.

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
The newer FF's ARE good.  They are just not good in your opinion.  Many other people think that it's the other way around: the newer being better than the older.  I, however, think they are both equally fun.  Not one has yet yet me down (Well..with the exception of FF II).

Final Fantasy XIII looks promising and fun.  Final Fantasy XII IS fun and rather addicting.  I find it to be a very good gmae and an addicting one.  Other, however, may not.  That's just how it is.

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
Umm I think All FF's are equal... them being the best game series ever. But i think they shuld have called 11 Final Fantasy Online. Rather than scattering the games over many different consoles.

Rep:
Level 96
I dont really like the series all that much...10 was okay, but I only played it once, and haven't rented it since...I own the first on GBA, it was actually a lot of fun! I like the way the first was set up the most. I tried two, didn't like it, tried three, the same, played four, it was actually pretty good too, but I still like the first one more. Past that, excluding ten, I have no opinion, other than, "It doesn't look like it would interest me."

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Older FFs are better, because the characters have a far better plot. It's unbelieveable how the plot from a much newer FF like FFX or FFX-2 can be far worse than the plot of i.e. FFVI or FFVII.
Visit our website.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
Final Fantasy is NOT the best series ever and the games are NOT great. That said, the games are also not bad. Final Fantasy has been consistantly good for years. The problem is everyone seems to think at some point they were great, at some point they were blown away, at some point Final Fantasy was amazing and nothing has lived up to that. But guess what? Final Fantasy was never amazing. It has ALWAYS been average, and people are disapointed because for some strange reason they're expecting more.

Some of Square's other games, Chrono Trigger for example, were great(but still overrated).

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I hate x-2
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
Meh.  Great or not, Final Fantasy was one of the VERY few other RPG's that I could finish without getting bored.  They were nice, simple games with good systems.  That's all I ever needed to enjoy a game.  And when I say 'simple'..I don't mean DQ/DW simple.

Rep:
Level 96
Personally, I LOVED the concept in Illusion of Gaia. That was when Enix was by itself/still fucking awesome because they made kick-ass games like Brainlord. All of those games, Soul Blazer, Gaia, Terranigma: Awesome.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
I hate x-2

Me, too, lol!

Meh.  Great or not, Final Fantasy was one of the VERY few other RPG's that I could finish without getting bored.  They were nice, simple games with good systems.  That's all I ever needed to enjoy a game.  And when I say 'simple'..I don't mean DQ/DW simple.

It's true, that FF isn't bad, even though it's not the best either. I have played many RPGs that are not part of a real series and some of them are much better than any FF. And I am talking about the SNES and a few PS1 games here.

Personally, I LOVED the concept in Illusion of Gaia. That was when Enix was by itself/still fucking awesome because they made kick-ass games like Brainlord. All of those games, Soul Blazer, Gaia, Terranigma: Awesome.

Illusion of Gaia was good, Terranigma was just great. I've played Brainlord only a few hours, but it was quite ok just like Soul Blazer.
Visit our website.

My GW Character. Hes cool
I have to say that I can never say no to a final fantasy. Apart from 8. All it is, plain and simple, is a love story.Squall,. a lonely secretive and quiet guy, trained as a soldier, meets a free spirited girl and falls in love. They then try and stop a woman who is trying to conquer the world together. All the others I love. But I've never played 3. The numbers before 7 confuse me as welll. in the non Japanese market it goes 1,2,4,6,789... so which Japanese versions are the ones unreleased everywhere else. Can someone explain this to me coz square fucked up with this. oh and i love KH as well.  although its hard to be taken as a hero if you have a duck with a speech impediment and wearing a sailor suit backing you up.

Rep:
Level 97
If that's the reason you don't like 8, then you would by all rights have to hate 4, and 9. Might as well go as far as to say you can't play 6 or 7 either.

Rep:
Level 96
I love 8 because of the strong psychological content it has, especially when it's doing all the "Squall is thinking to himself: ____" stuff. I really loved how deep inside they let us get into the character Squall. From lone wolf beginning, to the first signs of falling in love, to breakdown when Rinoa goes into a coma, to acting on impulse and emotion for the first time in his life rescuing Rinoa in outer space WITH NO PLAN IN MIND (I love that scene. It's so powerful), to finally coming to terms with what his feelings are.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
FF8 is probably my favorite Final Fantasy. =*

Rep:
Level 97
Although I did not enjoy 8's gameplay, I'd go as far to say it had the best storyline in the series, as confusing as it may have been, LOL

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I hated 8, plain and simple.

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
Vi and VII and the best in my opinion.  Oh, and don't forget IX.

Rep:
Level 88
Woot woot!
Tactics pwns all your FF's, plain and simple. It's storyline pwnz FF8's (as far as I could get :D, I have a knack at getting somewhere and then never getting to do a thing because I dun know what to do. Like the part of FF7 were your have to dress up like a girl, or the part of FF8 after you beat teh crap outta your first summon :D.

FFT, the red dot shows you were you havn't been. OR it's simple to know were to go. That and you know you will have a fight at every location ever shown to you, no matter what :D
Fat cat = fat dog

fat dog = fat lion

lion = cat

so.........fat cat = fat cat

PROJECT INFO
Nothing :3

Rep:
Level 96
Tactics pwns all your FF's, plain and simple. It's storyline pwnz FF8's (as far as I could get :D, I have a knack at getting somewhere and then never getting to do a thing because I dun know what to do. Like the part of FF7 were your have to dress up like a girl, or the part of FF8 after you beat teh crap outta your first summon :D.

FFT, the red dot shows you were you havn't been. OR it's simple to know were to go. That and you know you will have a fight at every location ever shown to you, no matter what :D
So, basically, you don't like to read or think for yourself. Because in every Final Fantasy is tells you exactly what to do and where to go in the character dialogues, and if it isn't spelled out for you, it's still pretty much common sense.

All you care about is the fighting, and that's not what Final Fantasy is about.

It's no wonder you don't like Final Fantasy games except for Tactics.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 02:50:15 AM by arlenreyb »

Rep:
Level 97
Just because in Tactics you know where to go... actually, no that has NOTHING to do with the story.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Wait, if you only like tactics because you know where to go.... That's fricken sad. Didn't you pay attention to the storyline at ALL? Also, what about how good the class system was in that game? God, it had so many better aspects than it was easy to navigate.

Rep:
Level 96
I should really take five minutes to download that, it seems really interesting.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
It'll probably take longer than 5 mins to dl, but yeah, FFT is pretty awesome. I've just overplayed it.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
I love 8 because of the strong psychological content it has, especially when it's doing all the "Squall is thinking to himself: ____" stuff. I really loved how deep inside they let us get into the character Squall. From lone wolf beginning, to the first signs of falling in love, to breakdown when Rinoa goes into a coma, to acting on impulse and emotion for the first time in his life rescuing Rinoa in outer space WITH NO PLAN IN MIND (I love that scene. It's so powerful), to finally coming to terms with what his feelings are.

I totally agree. It's a good psychical game even though the battle system was a little bit confusing. Many things could have been done better, even the story, but the plot was very good, maybe one of the best plot in an FF game. I loved it when Squall thought "You are talking about it as it was decided, since the day of my birth!"
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 02:03:40 PM by Blizzard »
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 96

I totally agree. It's a good psychical game even though the battle system was a little bit confusing. Many things could have been done better, even the story, but the plot was very good, maybe one of the best plot in an FF game. I loved it when Squall thought "You are talking about it as it was decided, since the day of my birth!"
I also love the scene when the White SeeDs come to get Ellone when Garden is adrift on the ocean. When Squall's all "Don't rely on me! Everyone has to look out for themselves!"

And then it shows the ship sailing off, and Squall's thinking "why do people rely on one another? In the end your alone, anyway." And that string piece is playing.

God, it makes my eyes water every time. Such a powerful scene, especially with that music playing.