RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Painted Tilesets

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
Has anyone tried to use painting for a tileset before?

My idea is fairly simple, paint a couple basic grassy backdrops, use these as the background, then have all the accessories (trees, bushes, mountains, etc. have transparency anywhere grass would normally be present, this would free up an extra layer, and make it feasable to create Legend of Mana style worlds.  Naturally all the trees and such would also be painted and then cut out to fit.

Anyone thing of any problems this would have that I should be aware of before I make a basic attempt at it?

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
You mean like color changing the tilesets? I did a lot of it. Sometimes a few colors just don't fit, so I adjust them a little bit.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
I think he means actually painting a real life picture, then making it a tileset via clipping/cropping/etc.

(Could be a GREAT idea for the ffc game, for like, the creativity outlet.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
One of my ex-roommates has done that, lol! The game was hilarious, but only 5 minutes long.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 96
Think he wold let us borrow the set?

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
He only took a few pics of the neighbourhood and put the into tilesets. They are not really good...
Visit our website.

arrowone, hit it.  But instead fo cutting up a work, I would paint a smallish work, it would simply be a grassy plain, set this as the Panorama (I think, the one that if there is no tiles shows up as the background) and put a bunch of clear walking tiles on it.  Then paint trees, bushes, buildings, roads etc.  and then scan them, cut them out and load them in, a lot of editing would be needed to finish up the edges, maybe toss in some missing detail, etc.

Then you would be able to construct much more vivid landscapes, though the tileset would have to be very complex to be able to work.

What's the FFC game?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 02:09:49 PM by Lotus »

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Final Fantasy
Crankeye

with Blizzard as a spell
and Dwarra as a villain

http://rmrk.net/index.php?topic=4479.0
Visit our website.

Yeah, I noticed it right after I asked, I think I should paint one town, and only halfway, then make a little sprite of me painting away, if the heroes talk to me, I'll be like.  "Sorry, I'm not done here."

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
ROFL! Awesome idea! =D
Visit our website.

Well, I get to work on some stuff after I buy some paper, I don't want to use any canvas due to the texture.  It may take me a while and I plan on trying out my real idea before making any jokes.

Rep:
Level 96
Thanks loads, lotus, I'm glad I found this topic. ;D

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Guns don't kill people. Magic missiles do.
I draw some stuff on grid paper, then scan it and use it as tilesets.  The grid makes it easy to draw things to scale.  You can just scan the pencil drawing, then color it in photoshop or something.  Looks pretty sweet.  I don't have anything on me right now, but I sketched out a whole stage for a Mega Man-style game I wanted to make using Game Maker 6.0 using grid paper.

Rep:
Level 96
I have one more copy of my registration code left if you want it Yoss, are you still using GM?

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
yeah...its a good idea (so wait, lotus is doing tilesets? sweet!), and thats exactly what they do for Mana games. Anyways, i hope, lotus, that you paint very miniscule details, because in game it'll matter.

Actually I plan on using a combination pof painted details and then using the computer to add in the other needed details, but I still have to get around to getting the paper, and planning out my stuff. 

For the first layout I plan on having a grass backdrop, 2-3 tree variants, some small shrubs and such, and some rock outcrops.  If it looks good, then I will try for more.

Woohoo, I got my paper and am going to start sometime tomorrow I think, first up, grass!!!!!

MONOCLE MAN
Rep:
Level 89
-::Gone::-
This sounds cool. infact, I need need some for my game, Chicken Nuggetz!

Unless it is a heavy anime game, I doubt they will be of much use to you, go play Legend of Mana for PS1 and you'll see the type of backgrounds I hope to be able to generate.

MONOCLE MAN
Rep:
Level 89
Never mind xD

EDIT: But I need them though. Like on the grass and under. Showing ground and stuff. And ontop a real bed. Etc. Stuff that would be bigger then a mouse because I'm making a game that needs to invole that big stuff.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 01:18:45 AM by Nikolai »

I have no idea what you are talking about ???

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
I don't know if anyone ever does.

MONOCLE MAN
Rep:
Level 89
Thanks... T_T But it's true, I am hard to unstand sometimes. Like for instance, my game called 'Chicken Nuggetz' is kind of out (diffrent from the rest). You'll see it soon when Child_Who_Needs_Help finshes my chacter sets.

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Yes, many of those on this forum are difficult to "unstand."

lol  I'm just messin' with ya.

MONOCLE MAN
Rep:
Level 89
Yay! You nice  :D I knew I should keep Yossy on my friend list =)

EDIT: I got Zypher, Lotus, Yossy, Blizzard, arrowone, and HaloOfTheSun on it  :)