RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Copyright

Training Wheels
Rep:
Level 89
:)
1. Benefits of copyright protection

Copyright is essentially a private right. You, the copyright owner must decide how to exploit your copyright work and how to enforce your copyright. A copyright owner can decide whether or not there will be any use of the copyright work falling within the scope of the economic rights and, if so, whether he or she will use the copyright work and/or license one or more other people to use the work.

A copyright owner can also benefit from copyright by selling or agreeing a transfer of copyright to someone else.

Many of the options available to a copyright owner will involve contractual agreements which may be just as important as the rights provided by copyright law. The right contractual agreement can minimise the chances of a dispute over use of your copyright work.

As a copyright owner, you may also like to consider the benefits of belonging to an organisation representing copyright owners in your area.

2. Automatic protection

There is no official registration system for copyright in the United Kingdom (UK) and most other parts of the world. There are no forms to fill in and no fees to pay to get copyright protection.

So long as you have created a work that qualifies for copyright protection, that is it falls into one of the categories of material protected by copyright, you will have copyright protection without having to do anything to establish this. It is a requirement of various international conventions on copyright that copyright should be automatic with no need to register.

To help protect your copyright work, it is advisable to mark it with the © symbol, the name of the copyright owner and the year of publication. Although this is not essential, it will let others know when the term of protection started and hence whether it is still covered by copyright, and indicate who to approach should they need to ask permission to use the work.

3. Copyright Registers

There is no official copyright register because copyright is automatic. There are certain steps you can take to protect your rights, but you do not have to register anywhere.

There are, however, a number of companies that offer unofficial copyright registers. You should think very carefully whether this is a useful service for you before choosing this route. Some of the things to think about are:

* How much does it cost and is it a one-off or regular payment?

* Are you paying just for a registration, or does the cost cover more than this, for example help with a legal action should your copyright be infringed?

* Is the registration likely to be better than the evidence you can create for yourself by sending a copy of the work to yourself by Special Delivery post and not opening the envelope upon its return?

* Are you likely to have a problem proving that you had the copyright material at a certain time which is all that registration can help prove?

Note that neither registration nor sending a copy of the work to yourself show that you were the creator of the work. Keeping copies of all your drafts and any other material that shows your connection with the particular copyright material as you develop it could, however, be useful evidence if you ever have to prove that you are the author.

4. Other protection

In addition to the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 there are other related protection for Copyright work:
Database right

A database may be protected by copyright if it is original or by database right,
Conditional access technology

Conditional access technology generally refers to technical measures, such as smart cards or other decoders, which allow you to view or listen to encrypted broadcasts.
Copy protection devices

For copyright material issued to the public in an electronic form, you can use technical measures so that it is not possible to make a copy of the material, that is, it is copy-protected.
Publication right

Publication right gives you rights equivalent to copyright if you publish for the first time a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work or a film in which copyright has expired.
Performer's rights

Performers are entitled to various rights in their performances, whether these take place on the stage, during a concert, when making a film, when playing/singing for a sound recording and so on.
Enforcing copyright abroad

Most countries of the world are members of one or more international agreements. This means automatic protection in all member countries for works created in the United Kingdom.

Copyright applies to

* Computing and the internet
    * Photographs
    * TV and Films
    * Art
    * Written work
    * Music
    * Theatre
    * Spoken word

5.Using and buying other people's copyright

Copyright is a type of intellectual property. Like physical property, it cannot usually be used without the owner's permission. Of course, the copyright owner may refuse to give permission for use of their work.

It is important to remember that just buying or owning the original or a copy of a copyright work does not give you permission to use it how you wish. For example, buying a copy of a book, CD, video, computer program and so on, does not necessarily give you the right to make copies (even for private use), play or show them in public.

Other everyday uses of copyright material, such as photocopying, scanning, downloading from a CD-ROM or on-line database, all involve copying the work so permission is generally needed. Also use going beyond an agreed licence will require further permission.
Licence

Some minor uses may fall within the scope of one of the exceptions to copyright, but if you want to use a copyright work, you will usually need to approach the copyright owner and ask for a licence to cover the use you require.

A licence is a contract between you and the copyright owner and it is for both parties to negotiate the terms and conditions, including the payment or royalty for the use. There are no rules in copyright law governing what may be acceptable terms and conditions, but other law, particularly competition law, might be relevant to licence agreements.
Collective licensing

Sometimes copyright owners act collectively to licence certain uses and collective licensing bodies can be approached for a licence. There are many organisations that represent copyright owners and users.

6. Obtaining a license from a copyright owner

If you want to use a work that is under copyright, it is likely that you will need to approach the copyright owner in order to obtain a licence. However, there are certain exceptions to copyright that can allow you to use a limited amount of the work.

These are some forms of licenses that you be able to obtain from the right holder:
Exclusive license

An exclusive licence could be granted, but remember that this enables the licensee to use the copyright work to the exclusion of all others, including the copyright owner. Any licence agreed can relate to one or more of the economic rights and can also be limited in time or any other way. It is a contractual agreement between the copyright owner and user.
Implied License

Copyright work is subject to an implied licence even when there has been no agreement about a licence.
Limited use license

Often a copyright owner will only give permission for some uses of a work, for example, publication of a photograph in a particular newspaper, and if you want to use the work in any other way, for example, by publishing the photograph in a magazine, you will need to seek further permission.
Collecting Societies

In some situations, copyright owners find it difficult to license use of their works by themselves and so they have formed organisations, called collecting societies or collective licensing bodies. Further information on collecting societies is available.

7. Infringing other peoples copyright

Infringement of copyright occurs where either the whole or a substantial part of a work is used without permission, unless the copying falls within the scope of one of the copyright exceptions.  The term substantial part is not defined under copyright law but has been interpreted by the courts to mean a significant part of the work.  This does not mean, however, that it needs to be a large part of the work.

Copyright gives the creators of a wide range of material, such as literature, art, music, sound recordings, films and broadcasts, economic rights.  It does not protect ideas, or such things as names or titles.

Authors are able to control use of their material in a number of ways, such as:

* making copies
    * issuing copies to the public,
    * performing in public,
    * broadcasting and use on-line.

It also gives moral rights to be identified as the creator of certain kinds of material, and to object to distortion or mutilation of it.

The purpose of copyright is to allow creators to gain economic rewards for their efforts and so encourage future creativity and the development of new material which benefits us all. Copyright material is usually the result of creative skill and/or significant labour and/or investment, and without protection, it would often be very easy for others to exploit material without paying the creator.

Most uses of copyright material therefore require permission from the copyright owner. However there are exceptions to copyright, so that some minor uses may not infringe copyright.
  • Web designer
  • Music producer/DJ
  • Graphic Designer
Why am I 'training wheels'??

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I like this definition, which people like Naphe fall under:

"The modern definition is abused and tossed around by stupid teenagers without the knowledge that you have to buy a copyright before their said item is actually protected.

Example: "Look at my crappy Photoshop image, LoL. Copieright by me, 2005."".
bringing sexy back

Training Wheels
Rep:
Level 89
In the UK you dont have to pay. Another reason to shop at the UK!
  • Web designer
  • Music producer/DJ
  • Graphic Designer

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Do you think the auto-copyright applies in the U.S.? I think I saw something that said it does, but I can't remember.

Training Wheels
Rep:
Level 89
  • Web designer
  • Music producer/DJ
  • Graphic Designer

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
I hate copyright. not because it means i cant copy stuff.
I just hate it coz its so freaking boring.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
My Eurhythmics teacher, who happens to be assistant dean of the music school here at Duquesne, says your work is automatically copyrighted as soon as it's written down, or in tingible form. Being on a computer counts because you can print it out. Again, this is the assistant dean of music saying this.

edit: I live in the US.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
Yea but if its officially copyrighted then evrybody knows and you can sue them for using it. lol
Also if you pay for it to be copyrighted its only copyrighted for 20 years.

Training Wheels
Rep:
Level 89
  • Web designer
  • Music producer/DJ
  • Graphic Designer

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
Isn't it patents you pay for?
Copyrights holds until like 70 years after you die.

Patents which is kind of a monopol on the product holds like 20 years.
Isn't it that way?

Training Wheels
Rep:
Level 89
  • Web designer
  • Music producer/DJ
  • Graphic Designer

Rep:
Level 96
Duquesne?
It's a University in Pittsburgh, a few miles southwest of the University of Pittsburgh. lol
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 08:16:36 PM by arlenreyb »

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
OKay i was wondaring wat that was.

Rep:
Level 96
I thought it was kinda obvious since I said

the music school here at Duquesne

and said other things about a class and an assistant dean of music, but hey, whatever. lol
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 07:18:42 AM by arlenreyb »

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
Oh yea i saw that. i just forgot bout it. lol. fukin cabage.

Rep:
Level 90
~
So instant copyright applies in the US, but we can't do anything about infringement if we don't deposit a copy of the work to the National Library thing.

What's the point of copyrighting stuff then?

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
So nobody can steal your work and say: "I made that!"
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Funniest Member2011 Best Musician2010 Most Missed Member
I remember back before the forums switched to SMF (Ah, the good ol' Avalanche skin LOL), blueXx and I, and someone else, I think maybe Inaru, had a rather large argument about copyrights.
:tinysmile: