RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
money!

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
If you were to actually buy RPG Maker XP, would it be legal to sell?

~Banned~
Rep:
Level 88
~Banned~
Yep. Though guess what. If your looking to make money then I would suggest a different program.
~Banned~

Sell a game made with it I mean? Sorry for any possible confusion. I was in a hurry.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
That's what he meant.

Cool, thanks.

There's a way around everything even if it is illegal. For instance, if you're not able to charge someone for the software itself that is required to play the game, you can charge them for the time you put into making it. =P

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Dude fuck the idea of selling stuff, it's illegal to sell your stuff. Plus enterbrain will eat your balls for it. They usually don't care about piracy of their products untill some one starts making money.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Dude fuck the idea of selling stuff, it's illegal to sell your stuff. Plus enterbrain will eat your balls for it.

Lol, you're such a silly man.

They usually don't care about piracy of their products untill some one starts making money.

Lol, wrong. You can sell your game if you have bought their RM. But you can't sell the RTP or the basic engine. You could sell the game data without including any RTP without problems. Nobody would eat your balls for that.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 08:20:43 AM by Blizzard »
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Okay if you try to make money off something you made with RM, I'LL EAT YOUR BALLS! Damn it, I have morals. And making money from RM games is fucking un-ethical in my opnion.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Okay if you try to make money off something you made with RM, I'LL EAT YOUR BALLS! Damn it, I have morals. And making money from RM games is fucking un-ethical in my opnion.

LAWL! <3
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
lawl. Too bad you can't eat Amanda's balls! (the creator or Aveyond)
RGSS Dev

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Women named Amanda should just avoid me in general.

Rep:
Level 90
~
I'm secretly a woman named Amanda =(

I mean

Why sell a game with RPG Maker?  Why not learn coding and make oyur own engine and sell that?

Rep:
Level 96
I bought a thick book on C++ Friday. It comes with a cd, and I think I should be able to get the hang of it pretty quickly sense I have GML experience. GML is similar, just simpler.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I'm secretly a woman named Amanda =(

I mean

Why sell a game with RPG Maker?  Why not learn coding and make oyur own engine and sell that?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Why not just make a game with RPG Maker and not sell it?
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
Why not make a high quality game with custom graphics, musics and scripts, all made by yourself after writing the story, world and scripts over a total of 3 years, and release it for free? It's all stuff made by you, and you didn't pay anyone else.

Tell me. Why? There would be little compensation for your work.

-or-

Pay other people (professional pixel artists, professional music composers) to make graphics and music for your game, and had it out for free.
Tell me. Why? You are spending money for the enjoyment of others, why not ask for 5 bucks from each person that plays it, so that you can break even from spending 1000 bucks to make a game that is excellent and more than mediocre?
RGSS Dev

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
If you have made everything yourself OR payed others to make something for you, of course you can sell your game. You just can't sell the RTP by Enterbrain.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
I was not saying anything about selling the RTP.
I was trying to make a point to the individuals that say that a RMXP game should not be sold.
It's completely okay to sell your game if it has the RTP, although you cannot sell a game that distributes the RTP (i.e. Imported RTP graphics so that the player does not need to install RTP). If you have RTP in your project, you must tell them to download it externally.
RGSS Dev

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
No it's not okay. RM games re what they are, games made with RM. They're a HOBBY not a profession. You will make every other RM user look bad if you sell your games. And even if you don't use RTP enterbrain will be ripshit. Don't sell your games, I don't want some one to ruin it for every one else.

You're most likely a kid, hence why you aren't understanding why selling a game made with RM is completely un-ethical.  The simple fact is it's un-ethical due to the fact you could fuck every one on crankeye over. Seriously, I consider most of the people here my friends. I do not want to see them get into problems because you had to be a little go getter who wants extra cash.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
this should go in spam after all this baloohulalol
Arlen is hot.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
You're most likely a kid, hence why you aren't understanding why selling a game made with RM is completely un-ethical.

I completely agree with that and I consider myself guitly in trying to make TTM a commercial game. But I don't do it out of the reason to earn money, I only do it for better advertise. It's fact that it will get more known around if it actually is sold and not for free, even though 10$ are not much of a price.
Visit our website.

What does the license agreement say about selling games made with RPG Maker XP?  I remember Agetec/ASCII's RPG Maker for Playstation specifically stated that you may sell your games, so long as you include their logo with a statement that the game was made with RPG Maker, blah blah blah.

Assuming there is some case with legality, how does selling a game made with RPG Maker XP make other RM users look bad?  Is it just a fear of someone looking better than you?  That's called jealousy.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Everybody is making games for free, because they WANT TO and now some smartass comes and wants to sell such a game. How would you feel in this situation? Jealous surely not. Angry? I would be. Especially if the game is just average quality, far worse than your own.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 04:25:34 PM by Blizzard »
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 96
Games are free right now, and everyone's happy. But if ONE person sells, so too will someone else. Then someone else, and someone else, and etc. Soon, everyone will be doing it, and the fun aspect will be gone.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Thanks, that more like that what I wanted to say. :)
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
If I had any reason to sell a RM game, it would be that it was:

-Not Shit
-Better that Mediocre
-pwns Aveyond (or insults it, sine that game sucked)
-Spent money making it (beyond the 60USD already spent to purchase and license the engine)

Reasons:

-Assist in payment for my 2 years at Full Sail
RGSS Dev

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I think people fail to remember RM XP is one of the few RMs in which enterbrain specifically tells you NOT to sell your games. Go ahead be a dumb shit and ruin it for people.

Rep:
Level 88
Quote from: Eb!
Save your completed game as a game disk and you can burn it onto a CD-ROM to give to your friends or distribute it over the Internet for other gamers to enjoy. You can even market your creations as shareware.

At the bottom of the following page:
http://www.enterbrain.co.jp/tkool/RPG_XP/eng/features.html

Shareware is a marketing method for software, whereby a trial version is distributed without payment ahead of time as is common for proprietary software. Typically shareware software is obtained free of charge by downloading, thus allowing one to try out the program ahead of time. Shareware is also known as try before you buy, demoware, trialware and many other names. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shareware

Quote from: License File that comes with Legal RMXP
E. Distribution rights
Licensee may, at its sole discretion and its own risk, distribute the game (“Game”) originally created by Licensee by utilizing the Software with the following conditions;
(i)   Only Licensee who properly completed the user registration may distribute its own Game;
(ii)   The Game that may be distributed by Licensee shall be legally created and shall not infringe third party’s rights, including, but not limited to, privacy, copyright, trademark, and/or any other intellectual property rights. Licensee shall, at its own expense, indemnify, defend and hold ENTERBRAIN harmless against any claim/suit/proceeding brought against ENTERBRAIN arising out of or in connection with the Game on the issue of infringement of any patent, copyright and/or any other intellectual properties of any third party; and
(iii)   Licensee shall be fully responsible for the Game, its contents, including, but not limited to, character, story, scenario, plot, map, music, sound, design, name, the Game’s distribution method, and/or any other items created or added by Licensee.

That also states that you cannot distribute your game in anyway if it is not legally purchased.

So, if you are against Shareware, don't use RMXP. RMXP itself is shareware, with the 30-trial, where you can pay 60USD to fully activate it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 12:49:23 AM by Twar3Draconis »
RGSS Dev

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Your also failing to see that shareware is freeware. You know what? Go ahead try to sell your game, you'll learn really fucking fast no one will buy it due to better RM games out there that are FREE. Learn your lesson the hard way douchebag.

Mr.Fu is pissed because of this ignorant twat. I'll be back in about an hour. I'm seriously not going to post while pissed off, because this little jack ass will force me to troll. And I won't let a little snot nose punk get the better of me.

Rep:
Level 88
Shareware is freeware? lawl. RMXP is shareware. It's free for 30 days, then you have to pay 60 bucks.
RGSS Dev

Rep:
Level 96
The purchased version is no longer shareware, stupid.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
This is another reason why Arrow is awesome.

Your also failing to see that shareware is freeware. You know what? Go ahead try to sell your game, you'll learn really fucking fast no one will buy it due to better RM games out there that are FREE. Learn your lesson the hard way douchebag.

Mr.Fu is pissed because of this ignorant twat. I'll be back in about an hour. I'm seriously not going to post while pissed off, because this little jack ass will force me to troll. And I won't let a little snot nose punk get the better of me.

Once I sort out whether or not it's me you are calling a little jack ass and a douchebag, I'll decide if I should be angry in turn. :lol:

My point was that if someone has a game good enough to sell, and does sell it, and makes money, and if it were legal to sell that game, then by all means, you should be damn happy the person was able to succeed rather than pouty and jealous.  Sure, others may get the same idea, but most people will soon learn than crap games aren't going to sell, and it'll settle down to mostly a lot of free games, a point already made.  ..which amounts to almost no change, and pretty much doesn't hurt the rest of the users.

I don't personally think I'd ever sell a game I made, even if it shit gold.  At least not beyond the cost of a cd and shipping if people had to have a physical copy.

But hey, if it were illegal to sell games made with something, then doing so would be stupid.  Of course given the license there, distribution rights allow for selling the game (if the legal version was purchase).

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Same over here. I would never try to sell a crappy game. And if I'd be gonna sell it, I'd make sure it's 100% original, not RTP.
Visit our website.