RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Deadly School Incidents

~Banned~
Rep:
Level 88
~Banned~
Aren't I just thought I would make it apparent to people, because I can't let it be set aside any longer. In this last two months there have been a chain of 4 columbine replicated incidents. Today a 13 year old KID brought an AK47 to his middle school, though due to his inexperience of guns it jammed. Though I've been seeing these incidents alot more than I care to see, and I'm starting to worry about myself, *being a student myself*, as well as others nationwide. I just want to get some insight into what everyone thinks about these incidents, because I think that once was way more than enough and if people don't see the problem then we only shall promote incidents as several of us have seen.
~Banned~

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
This is somewhat disturbing. Parents need to take a more proactive role against such behavior. And NO, I don't mean blame the television, (which, so you know, is NOT a fucking babysitter) or take the easy out and blame videogames. (Because guess what, YOU BOUGHT 'EM.) I mean get off of your ass, pay attention to how your child feels and raise your kids the old fashioned way.

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
That's right, with a belt.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Rep:
Level 96
I am not opposed to this method. Simple cause and effect, with a bit of symbolism.

~Banned~
Rep:
Level 88
~Banned~
This May Offend Some People
Well, games are alright as long as they have some beneficial meaning behind them, but games like "Grand Theft Auto" only promote such actions. Also who said it was the parent's fault? We have a concious don't we? We want more liberty to do our own actions, but when kids mess up why do they blame it on their parents? True their parents play a big role, and parents that permit kids to be in gangs or ignore the facts of negative changes in a kids life SHOULD be criticized, but the kid who is the one who committed it should be held at 1st in the punishment list. Also if parents are so insecure to have a gun in the house, make sure it's unloaded, and remove the trigger. If a parent won't take that simple step, then kids will continue to be retards because they can dodge the blame, and start killing people without getting shunned upon. Parents that drink should STOP because if they have enough time to drink then they have enough time to pay attention to a kid which is 1st priority, and parents that can't commit to such a role shouldn't be parents NOR should be around kids.
~Banned~

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
Well, games are alright as long as they have some beneficial meaning behind them, but games like "Grand Theft Auto" only promote such actions. Also who said it was the parent's fault? We have a concious don't we? We want more liberty to do our own actions, but when kids mess up why do they blame it on their parents? True their parents play a big role, and parents that permit kids to be in gangs or ignore the facts of negative changes in a kids life SHOULD be criticized, but the kid who is the one who committed it should be held at 1st in the punishment list. Also if parents are so insecure to have a gun in the house, make sure it's unloaded, and remove the trigger. If a parent won't take that simple step, then kids will continue to be retards because they can dodge the blame, and start killing people without getting shunned upon. Parents that drink should STOP because if they have enough time to drink then they have enough time to pay attention to a kid which is 1st priority, and parents that can't commit to such a role shouldn't be parents NOR should be around kids.

Quite true, HOWEVER....

Violent games do not affect people as people say, if a kid DOES start copying what he/she sees, then that kid had a problem before getting the game.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 01:54:36 AM by Land of Vita »

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Exactly, it just means the kid has a problem differentiating(sp?) reality and fantasy. It's a medical condition I like to call - "Wake up Moron, This is the Real World".

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

~Banned~
Rep:
Level 88
~Banned~

Quite true, HOWEVER....

Violent games do not affect people as people say, if a kid DOES start copying hear he/she sees, then that kid had a problem before getting the game.

Ahh, but how does a kid get the idea of violence and other negative ideas presented in GTA if they've never been presented to them before. For example, how would you get the idea of cells if you've never seen them before?
~Banned~

That is not what I'm talking about, what the kid copies does not matter, it's the fact he's copying ANYTHING he see. Wheather it's good or bad.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 02:17:58 AM by Land of Vita »

~Banned~
Rep:
Level 88
~Banned~

Quite true, HOWEVER....

Violent games do not affect people as people say, if a kid DOES start copying hear he/she sees, then that kid had a problem before getting the game.

Ahh, but how does a kid get the idea of violence and other negative ideas presented in GTA if they've never been presented to them before. For example, how would you get the idea of cells if you've never seen them before?

That is not what I'm talking about, what the kid copies does not matter, it's the fact he's copying ANYTHING he see. Wheather it's good or bad.

People follow trends, your a victim of it to. So does that mean you have something wrong with you? People also dress like their favorite characters from games, "For Some Reason I Do Not Know", or a good anime. So do these people have problems to? The answer is no, according to majority opinion, and I agree only because it's another way for people to vent the pressures of the world so they don't overheat.
~Banned~

That kind of exmaple can vary, if you are somewhat in touch with trends and you are not obsessed with them, no you don't have a problem. But....

If you are always on beat with trends and you lose sleep and get grey hairs over them, you do have a problem.

About the dressing up as a characters, almost the same thing. If you dress up once in a while, like for Halloween, you don't have a problem.

But if you wear your Spiderman costume everywhere and seem to lose your socal life, you may have a problem.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 02:18:27 AM by Land of Vita »

Rep:
Level 96
This is intelligent debate guys, not the quote pyramid.

^ We'll lose it.

Rep:
Level 96
I understand what you were trying to say originally about not being able to distinguish between fiction/reality, but it was worded kind of funny, kind of skewed you point.

As for the costume comment, that is neither here nor there, as those individuals are fully aware that they are dressing up LIKE the characters, rather than transforming into them.

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
But what if you think you are them, thus transforming into them?

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

But what if you think you are them, thus transforming into them?

Simple. You have a problem.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 02:44:10 AM by Land of Vita »

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for May 2007Project of the Month winner for July 20082011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Regarding the video game influence thing; I remember seeing a study done that showed the decrease in crime rate since video games of the said type were introduced... But however, the matter was affected by sources from all sides so the accuracy of the direct correlation is not clear. Perhaps without the video games, the crime rates would decrease even further. Who knows.

...Which just proved the pointlessness of the above paragraph.   :'(

Well I just want to point out something a slightly off-topic as comfort.  One of the reasons that these incidents are seemingly becoming more of a threat is the power of advanced media technology now days. Back in the days, even if things happened, people would be oblivious to them since there was no such convinient ways for info to leak to them; and hence the existence of such matters would be seen as non-existent. So perhaps these threats are growing, or perhaps that the only change is the media is over-shining the incidents. Who knows.

...Which just proved the pointlessness of the above paragraph again. :'( I'm tired.

~Banned~
Rep:
Level 88
~Banned~
It seems only Tsunokiette and Reives hit close...

Anyway Reives it is the fault of the media, because do we really want to know all the people that are getting killed? If it's a major thing yes, but every single person, no....The news also makes the killers infamous and that is what most common teens want now-a-days regardless of the terms of getting it.
~Banned~

It seems only Tsunokiette and Reives hit close...

Anyway Reives it is the fault of the media, because do we really want to know all the people that are getting killed? If it's a major thing yes, but every single person, no....The news also makes the killers infamous and that is what most common teens want now-a-days regardless of the terms of getting it.

But, you can't blame the media, because you as a person can chose what you learn and don't learn.
If I don't want to learn math, then I don't learn math.
If I want to learn how to kill, then I learn how to kill.

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for May 2007Project of the Month winner for July 20082011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
But, you can't blame the media,
Heheh, that might be the first time I've heard that in a long time.

because you as a person can chose what you learn and don't learn.
Now, is that true...?

Now, is that true...?

Yes, look at racists, no matter how much you debate, they chose not to learn the lesson that "People are equal"

Rep:
Level 89

Now, is that true...?

Yes, look at racists, no matter how much you debate, they chose not to learn the lesson that "People are equal"

What I'm saying is, do you think one has absolute control to his actions? Why did the racist become racist in the first place?

Could it perhaps be the exposure of the opinions about the subject that shaped their view?

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Returning to the parent issue and connecting the two -

If you are a racist, it's most likely because your parents are racists, and that's how you grew up, if not it's probably because your friends think it's cool, and you end up being swallowed into the idea.

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

Rep:
Level 96
This would lead us into a discussion about the developmental window, which is a whole other story all together.

Rep:
Level 89
Returning to the parent issue and connecting the two -

If you are a racist, it's most likely because your parents are racists, and that's how you grew up, if not it's probably because your friends think it's cool, and you end up being swallowed into the idea.

Yeah. So although it is up to one to make the decisions, one does not actually make it without outer influences that shapes greatly (if not entirely) from their surroundings.