RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
I think my desktop died...

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
The one with ALL of my stuff on it... songs I'm writing, homework...everything. I have a laptop as well, of course, it's what I'm using now. But I don't use it that often, except when I'm out of town or at school.

Anyway, I came home today from the weekend, and went to turn my computer on... and it didn't turn on. Everything was plugged in properly, so I had no idea what the deal was. I tried a different power cable, no dice. I tried a different computer in the same outlet and it worked fine, besides the fact it's almost 10 years old.

I can't think of any reason why it won't work. It was fine before I left. It's almost 4 years old, but I don't think that should make too much of a difference. It's an EMachines (LOL) but even still, I haven't had any major problems to date with it. Got any ideas?
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Maybe open it up, see if anything's disconnected? If that doesn't work, call customer support. My mother did that once, and I just ended up needing to move something to a different port on the inside and BOOM, good as new.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Already opened it up, and nothing was noticeably out of place. I'm taking it to get looked at tomorrow, but I was still seeing if anyone here could save me a trip.

I was planning on getting a new one eventually... not for about another year though!

Rep:
Level 96
Well, if you ARE taking it to be looked at anyway, is there anything that looks like it could be moved around to a different slot/port?

Rep:
Level 97
My relatively short length of knowledge about computers ends once I have to open it up and look inside.  i.e. I don't know. ~

Rep:
Level 96
Ah, I see. Oh well! I'm sure the repair guy will get things in order, no biggie. ;D

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
That happened with me, it started, the noise came and boom , it stopped.
BUt my comps old, ancient, it gets a virus everyday (it did use to)
Hope it gets fine..and change your Avatar HOTS, it gives me the creepies...
Arlen is hot.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Hi-Res photo of inside please =0.

Also, does it just not do anything AT ALL? i.e. no fans spin up or anything, or just it just basically start using power but not do anything?
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 97
Wish I could take a picture, but alas, no camera.

What happens is I push the power button, and nothing happens, as if it were unplugged: no fans, no lights, nothing at all. Yet the cord is firmly in place.  :-\

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Guns don't kill people. Magic missiles do.
I wish I could help, but I'm not as much of a computer know-it-all as people tend to expect me to be.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Does your power supply have a switch on it?

**NOT** a 110v/230v switch, don't change that or the next time you try and turn it on it'll go boom. But an on/off siwtch.

Once when I was fiddling with my PC I turned my power supply's switch to off, and I was stumped for like 30 mins on why it wouldn't turn on after I put everything back together.

If no fan (not even the power supply fan) starts up then the problem's probably to do with it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 12:02:14 PM by Silverline »
bringing sexy back

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
You have a cellphone with a cam? If yes, make a pic and post it. If you can´t get it back running, I suggest you take the HardDisk out and take it to a friend who can back up the stuff you need from it to one or more DVDs. When you buy another one, you still have at least your data.

Now to the problem itself:
It could be that the wire leading from the button to the power supply is interrupted. Or some cable inside could be unplugged or have a loose contact. Try to pull out and put back any plugged in cable as well as the graphic card/sound card etc.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
I was going to create a welcome topic but I thought I would a bit.

Look at your motherboard, just look, nothing else, is there a cable with four slots out? If it is, there is a slot on your Motherboard that will fit it perfectly, there is no other socket with the same slot so don't worry.

Also, if all else fails, try asking someone you know who knows a bit about computers, if he can't figure out the problem, try to buy a new power supply then getting a repair guy to fit it in for you so it should cost you less all together.

I hope I helped! :)

Rep:
Level 97
lol I go to sleep and then everyone replies.

I took it to get looked at today, and then found out the power supply just... burnt out. And something about my video card... I dunno I wasn't paying too much attention at that point. Anyway, all in all it boiled down to I needed a new computer. So, I plunged myself further into debt and got a new one. And, of course, I'm still in the process of re-installing all of my crap and downloading other crap, and registering even more crappier crap that probably doesn't even need to be registered, but I might as well since I do have things that do need to be registered.  :-\

And, yeah, I'm taking it to a friend who is going to save my stuff from my hard drive.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Hope you took your debt from a friend, cuz if he;s not a good guy you took it from, your dead.
Arlen is hot.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks

Rep:
Level 102
Uh, do you still have your old "broken pc"?

You should have tried just buying a new power supply first ._. You might not need a new computer >_<
bringing sexy back

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
LMAO! I can´t believe this! EXACTLY THE SAME thing happened to me about 3 years ago. The PC was also about 10 years old and the power supply burnt out. History repeats. That´s creepy.
And Silvy is right.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
I'm back! I gues...
10 years the same computer, that's impressive! My computers only last 5 years max!
RPG Maker version: XP

Omfg, who gave me -1 rep? After all I done for you guys!

Recruiting for upcomming game ELVES

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Actually I´ve got it when it was already 9 years old. I´ve had it for only about a year and then one afternoon when I was happily playing Star Craft - Brood War: BOOM! It just lost the power and wouldn´t go on again. Soon I found out why: The power supply was roasted.
Visit our website.

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
I think that happened to my old computer.  Although Halo said his didn't make any noise, and my old computer made the most interesting sounds before it conked out.

Rep:
Level 97
Hope you took your debt from a friend, cuz if he;s not a good guy you took it from, your dead.

??? :????

Anyway, I needed a more powerful computer, and this gave me an excuse to get one, thus I didn't just get the old one fixed. Besides, they had told me they could repair it, but that wouldn't guarantee that it would work again. I figured it probably would work still, but I'd rather not take the chances. Maybe they're full of crap, but oh well. I'll just have to eat McDonald's and Ramen noodles for a few weeks to get back on track.

Rep:
Level 88
I'm back! I gues...
RPG Maker version: XP

Omfg, who gave me -1 rep? After all I done for you guys!

Recruiting for upcomming game ELVES

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Luckily for you, you have a nice new computer for Neverwinter Nights 2!  Play wiff meeee~

Rep:
Level 102
I get the idea you're quite well off if you were actually going to pay $700 for a computer program, and McDonalds meals daily are a low-budget option for you ;_;
bringing sexy back