RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How Do I Make a Quest?

Rep:
Level 88
Alex
Ok I'm nearly finished my first 'quest', if you can even call it that. It involves the main character talking to an old guy who has lost his book. You then find the book in the town and return it to him. He rewards you with 200 gold. Simple. So far, this is what I've got. Obviously it's not working the way it should, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for help. Can anyone help?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 12:16:58 AM by alex »

Freaky, Huh?

Rep:
Level 88
Alex
What ends up happening is that you can keep getting 200 coins from the man, even if you don't have the book, and also if you have already given him the book.  >:(

I'm using RPG Maker XP, by the way.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 12:22:35 AM by alex »

Freaky, Huh?

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
The Hated One
Your problem is that on the sencond page you have to take out the variable part, and make it a requinment on the side below the switches, you should also take out the yes I have it and no i dont, and just make it so that if you have it he gives you the gold.
Legacy: The Gatekeeper- Demo 2.0 Now Avaliable

Rep:
Level 88
Alex
Ok.. that almost works. But not quite. Now what happens is that he keeps saying the first thing over again when I talk to him, even if I have the book.

I think the problem is that my variable isn't correct, mainly because I have no clue how to use variables and I didn't set anything up...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 12:54:56 AM by alex »

Freaky, Huh?

Rep:
Level 92
Welcome Poster of Year 2006 Award
Wait, put a new page on it (Page 3) just to clear the final confusion.

On Page 2, you should have the switch  Old Man's Book is on precondition. Here he should say Please find my book soon.

On Page 3, you should have both the switch Old Man's Book and the Variable on. That's when he should say the last part.

For the variable to work, you need to edit the event that gives the character the book. Once you receive the book (as an item), make sure you use Variable Operation (Page 1 of event commands window), and make it look like this.

<> Variable  [0001: Old Man's Book] += 1

On the second page of the same event (the one that GIVES YOU THE ITEM), make it activate on the same variable precondition you used in the third page of the Quest 1 event. On the page, make it say, there is nothing more here.

That should make it work.
Do you want to be part of a growing Gaming Community, with many galleries, comics, active community, and gfx artists? Also known to be friendly. Also want some free anime music just for signing up? Play in the arcade?

Click Community Forums to join!

< Zelda Fan Club

Rep:
Level 88
Alex
Ok thanks, that helps quite a bit. It works perfectly, except for one thing: after you return the book, you get 200 gold, and then he says 'Please find my book soon' over again every time you talk to him, and you can keep getting 200 coins again and again, and now that the chest (where you find the book) is controlled by the same variable, every time you talk to the old man the chest opens again and you can keep getting books out of there. :(

Freaky, Huh?

Rep:
Level 88
Alex
 :D Perhaps you could just give me an example of the quest, because I think I messed it up too much now...  ???

I'm way in over my head now...

Freaky, Huh?

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
*calls Zeriab to add this here into RMXP FAQ*
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
*is summoned*

Hmm... It doesn't look right alex.
You shouldn't have to trigger the chest after it has opened.
Copy the variable operation on page 2 of the event chest to the end of page 1. (Just above Local Switch A = On)
Then delete it from the second page.
I think this will work, though I am not sure.

@Blizzard: What do you want added? There already is a section about making a quest. Do you think as an example?

- Zeriab

Rep:
Level 92
Welcome Poster of Year 2006 Award
Simple seeming. Just add a switch to activate on the last page of the event that gives you the money. Then make a new page activated by that switch. Just make it empty.

Make a new page on the chest event as well. Have it activate on the SAME switch precondition.
Do you want to be part of a growing Gaming Community, with many galleries, comics, active community, and gfx artists? Also known to be friendly. Also want some free anime music just for signing up? Play in the arcade?

Click Community Forums to join!

< Zelda Fan Club

Rep:
Level 88
Alex
Thanks to everyone who replied, I've got it up and running smoothly now. I deleted the whole thing and did it from scratch and now it works, thanks to my increased knowledge of switches and conditional branches.

Freaky, Huh?