RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
What OS do you use?

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I'm thinking about testing out some free OSes, for the hell of it. Suggestions?

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Well if you're after a flavour of linux, Ubuntu is the obvious choice.

Apart from that I wouldn't really recommend anything else. I mean, yeah you could get another free OS up and running, wow, but then you're not going to have much to do on it.
bringing sexy back

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
So you recommend Ubuntu? It's just that I have the CD somewhere in my spindle, but due to time shortage... hm... >_>
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 88
What a waste of paper...
Kubuntu is very kool... lol

The Legend of Zelda Fanclub

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I installed xubuntu on my sis's old emachine (used myspace, said Ill pay 5$ to anyone with a rally old computer they keep in the garage) got around 5, put 2 OK ones out of the 5 computers (used parts) and BAM she got a computer, and I got a firewall....but later I used bearshare and got her 98...its better since she really had no clue on a linux machine.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
oo if you were wondering what I ment by "i got myself a firewall"

http://www.smoothwall.org/

I still cant get it to do everything..

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
 I primarily use Windows XP and SuSE 10.1 (Linux), but I also have on my machine Ubuntu 6.10, Mepis, Fedora Core 5, and some version of Mandriva.

Yeah...I know, I gotta lot of Linux Os's Dual booted on one computer. Probably cause I went through this stage of wanting to try out every single distro of linux, and because I have two harddrives...

Anyways, I would reccomend either Ubuntu or SuSE 10 or 10.1 to someone who hasn't used Linux before. SuSE is great for easily configuring and installing, and ubuntu is great with everything, once you get passed the slightly steep (but fun  ;D) learning curve.
Adding insult to injury, free of charge daily. ;)

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
I give your bitch a home-made enema!
on 1 of my computers which is like a "family" computer i have WinXP MCE, and on the other computer I use unix
MASSIVE GODDAMN IMAGES IN SIGNATURE! ARGH!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
in my house:

XP Pro (2)
XP home (1)
Win 98 (1)
Ubuntu (1)

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
This is off topic... But did Velton stop coming here? If so, WOOOOOOOO!

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
in my house:

XP Pro (2)
XP home (1)
Win 98 (1)
Ubuntu (1)

Lol, XP Home! xD Why do you even use it? XP Pro is like the same, just a lot better.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
eh...I know its my mothers laptop...

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
For some reason my comp has 'office' XP. Weird...

Training Wheels
Rep:
Level 89
:)
This is off topic... But did Velton stop coming here? If so, WOOOOOOOO!

haha i would have come back just cos you said that

every time i try Linux it doesnt seem to work
like my graphics card or drivers im thinking.
  • Web designer
  • Music producer/DJ
  • Graphic Designer
Why am I 'training wheels'??

Training Wheels
Rep:
Level 89
oh and btw this is my topic i can bring it back if i want
and i do.
so.
mweh.
  • Web designer
  • Music producer/DJ
  • Graphic Designer

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
oh i break linux takes me half an hour to fix it and then i break something else whilst trying to talk to you guys.

The threat of viruses is higly bloated block javascript dont download from somewhere that looks like a myspace page and all .exes with your name/email in them are viruses.

So in short windows xp + customizable applications that are not resource hungry = WIN!

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
win xp + common sense security suite 2008 <3
bringing sexy back

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Windows vista 64bit :x

Rep:
Level 96
Ubuntu (Gutsy Gibbon)
Version 2.20.1
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
win xp + common sense security suite 2008 <3

I second this. Never had a virus problem :)

Training Wheels
Rep:
Level 89
WINDOWS XP
i would say its the best, unless youre one of those that wants their PC to be as different as possible to the point of replacing XP with a less useful and rather pointless new OS.

or not, i havent decided on my opinion yet
  • Web designer
  • Music producer/DJ
  • Graphic Designer

Rep:
Level 102
Honestly, people who use vista 64 SOLELY in order to have 4 gigs of ram are.. stupid.

If you put 4 gigs of memory into your XP system, it will recognise around 3.3 to 3.5 gigs maybe, give or take a little (depends on various things including graphics card).

XP's base memory requirement is 128MB (or 64/96mb to push it), yet vista's is 1GB. Look at how much vista uses, just showing your goddamn desktop or to open notepad. It's insane.

So basically, any extra memory you get by having the extra from 3.3-3.5Gb in XP to 4GB in Vista is already stolen by the shitty bloated OS you're using. You have LESS memory available to you.

Vista 64 in order to use 4 gigs memory = ignorant/idiot.

If you're going to use that OS for more memory, at least use MORE than 4 gigs =x. But this is ignoring that even 2 gigs is more than enough for the vast majority of anything out there and more about bragging for your e-penis than for practicality.

There's a reason they're already hard at work on Vista's replacement, the same reason so very many people either choose to stay on XP, upgrade back to XP from vista, or insist on buying XP instead of vista  :)

At least MS had the sense to listen to their customer base and increase the lifetime of XP in their product line till 2014.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 06:08:09 PM by Roph »
bringing sexy back