RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Composers: What do you use?

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
How do I do the slides and stuff in tabit? I read through the help file, and then I experimented, but to no avail...

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Slides are done by gradually bending the pitch of a single instrument down or up. Meh, I'll just tell you on MSN.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Revoted.

TabIt, Finale, Reason, Noteworthy Composer, and Anvil Studio.

Speaking of Finale, how do I create tracks that play DIFFERENT instruments? I can make as many tracks as needed, but for some reason they all stay the same instrument. When I change one, I change all of them. It doesn't make any sense.
I mean, maybe some people can just compose without hearing the piece, but that's just not how I roll, B.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 06:42:06 PM by arlenreyb »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
It's midi right? Set the tracks to different channels, that should do it.

Rep:
Level 96
It doesn't. Setting track 2 to channel 2 changes track 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and every other track you have created, to channel 2.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Needs more HaloOfTheSun
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
I think I may know the answer :O

In the Setup Wizard, make sure the "Use a separate channel for each staff" box is checked.

Also, in the Instrument List (Go to Window, then find "Instrument List"), make sure all the tracks are set to different instruments, and no I'm not talking about MIDI instruments.

For example, if Flute and Oboe are set to Flute, then no matter what channel you set Flute to, the Oboe will be set to that too, and they'll both either have a Flute or Oboe sound. You have to click the drop box under "Instruments", and select New Instrument, if they are all in fact the set to the same.

Check the pictures to clear up the confusing way I explained it.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
Oh my god. Why the hell does a notation program have a "Use a separate channel for each staff" option? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

edit: thx

Rep:
Level 96
Where do I get Finale, I'm trying to get all of the good programs. (And any others that are good and not named Tabit or Synthfont, I have those all ready.)

Rep:
Level 96
I went out and bought Finale because we get a discount here at Duquesne, and I was afraid that pirating it might screw me over in the end. Like, for example, it's probably against the school honor policy (which is very strong, here) since Finale is, like, endorsed by the school. And then there's the whole "what if I end up continuing to use it, and become the famous composer that stole finale?"

But for you, use torrents, search isohunt or mininova or whatever. Download them, burn the iso's to cd, and bam. (for the big ones)

Also, GOOGLE.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Oh my god. Why the hell does a notation program have a "Use a separate channel for each staff" option? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

edit: thx

The only remotely plausible explanation I can come up with is for the Marching Percussion sounds. Typciall, percussion is on MIDI Channel 10, but in Finale, the Marching Percussion is on a different patch, and therefore not on channel 10. There are actually several channels, but I can't think of which they are.

Even still, it's very unnecessary.

And you're welcome.

Where do I get Finale, I'm trying to get all of the good programs. (And any others that are good and not named Tabit or Synthfont, I have those all ready.)

If you aren't wanting to hand out 300-600 dollars for it, then get utorrent and look for it.

Otherwise, go to someplace like www.academicsuperstore.com , and apply for academic pricing. (About $300)

They're shipping Finale 2007 right now, but I would wait. It's a bit new, so there's going to be a few minor bugs.

EDIT: lol arlen posted right before me.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
Google seems to be against me as of late, I have trouble finding anything of any worth...but okay, I'll do that. Thanks arlen.

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
You've crossed a Terrible Fate.
Votes: Damn, I'm the only Tracker out here.

On a second, I'm also using Reason, but OpenMPT works easier imo.

The Above Picture and Signature, are made by Dragonfly (C) 2006

"I see Reflected Reflections in the Reflections of my Reflection." -Me, Jesse G. Brands

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
TabIt, thats the first thing i tried and i liked it very much, i wanna become a master in tabIt bfore i go on to some other thing.
Or if i go on to another thing..
Arlen is hot.

Training Wheels
Rep:
Level 89
:)
TabIt is cool, i used it once
  • Web designer
  • Music producer/DJ
  • Graphic Designer
Why am I 'training wheels'??

My vote is Fruityloops. (FL Studio 5 XXL!)

I have been composing like an absolute madman for about two years, and I've mastered it to the point where its really all I'll ever need for awhile.
Most of the other programs on that list, say for Reason, are based on MIDI, or don't have the freedom to create MP3 tracks that are incredibly complex and featuristic (one or two I have not heard of before, so spare me)

Alot of people can try to excuse it for a piece of cheap software (XXL edition costs 315$ mind you!), but its a godsend if you can master its features. After gathering tons of samples to my disposal, and knowing a few things about music theory and actually being a small-time producer, I think it costs me more not to have it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 07:22:37 AM by Darkie »

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
I've gotten myself FL 6 XXL from torrents and I continue seeding it. Of course cracked 'n' all... :=

I think the poll should be extended with Soundforge, CuBase and Steinberg as they are TEH OLDSKOOL TOOLZ.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 96
Expanding my vote to  TabIt, Finale, Sibelius, Reason, Anvil, AND Garageband, because Garageband is pretty sick.

Oh and sure, Frootyloops is great for making music with neat sound effects and such, but if you're a real composer, and compose for real instruments (and not all synth instruments) then a program that uses standard notation is definitely the more professional and accepted format. Hell, these days, finale's .mus file is actually an accepted medium of music, along side mp3s and midis. And the reason for all of this is, to actually be a good composer, you have to take into account what instruments can and cannot do, and you have to make it so musicians can actually read and perform your piece the way you want it performed. And most musicians read standard notation.

Because come on. I'm not gonna be playing any of the symphonies I write myself. Conducting, maybe, but...

Yeah, I use TabIt and Finale most of the time, now.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 08:44:01 PM by arlenreyb »

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I still haven't used anything but TabIt. My poor ol' 600MHz processor couldn't handle anything else.

Rep:
Level 96
I don't have all of those programs on MY computer. The music labs have a ton of software on them, though, and that's where I use Garageband and Sibelius.

Synth is good for alot of things, but I never use synths to substitute instruments.
Whenever I want to use instruments with Fruityloops, I download soundfonts.
Problem solved. =)

I don't think Garageband is really all that great. My opinion.

Rep:
Level 96
Yeah, but do you know the range of a violin? The different sounds of a flute or bassoon? The different playing techniques of a string section?

Does Frootyloops?

Finale does, with the GPO add on (That Halo seems to be rather fond of).

That's all I'm saying.

Also, soundfonts are MIDI, you know. So, yeah, that's MIDI-based.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I've used FL before and I don't like it. It encourages the repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, loop, loop, loop, start over but with another repeating thing over the top, go again, go again, go again, etc type of music I really don't like. It even has a thing where it'll just slap in random notes for you.

My brother uses it and every time he sends me something he's made in it, all he wants to know about it how it sounds with fancy synths and electronic beeps and stuff. When I send him stuff I make, I want opinions on how it's composed.

FL is great for that type of music, sure. But it bores me. But when you think of "respected" music, you don't think THUD THUD THUD THUD LOOP LOOP~

[edit] what he said^
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
Yeah, sorry if I came off as a little rude, but it kinda burns me when people say "I'M A COMPOSER THAT ONLY USES FRUITY LOOPS! :V"

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
I've used FL before and I don't like it. It encourages the repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, loop, loop, loop, start over but with another repeating thing over the top, go again, go again, go again, etc type of music I really don't like. It even has a thing where it'll just slap in random notes for you.

My brother uses it and every time he sends me something he's made in it, all he wants to know about it how it sounds with fancy synths and electronic beeps and stuff. When I send him stuff I make, I want opinions on how it's composed.

FL is great for that type of music, sure. But it bores me. But when you think of "respected" music, you don't think THUD THUD THUD THUD LOOP LOOP~

[edit] what he said^

I still think your brother's stuff is excellent.