RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Composers: What do you use?

Rep:
Level 84
I fail epically at composing. Though I'm only still learning composing to GCSE standard, Sibelius 4 works fine for me. It has good notation and tab functions. The only thing it's lacking is a sound libary tbh. Would really like to add some sound effects to pieces and fail at using converter programs etc.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
I think that would be pirating
AND WE DONT SUPPORT PIRATING AT RMRK :V
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
You should give Finale a try. I used to hate it, but once you actually figure out how it works, it's very effective. And it comes with Garritan Personal Orchestra, which is a very nice orchestra sound library.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 84
I think that would be pirating
AND WE DONT SUPPORT PIRATING AT RMRK :V

Nuuu, I mean that converting from a MIDI to an MP3 and inproving quality >_<

Quote from: arlen
You should give Finale a try. I used to hate it, but once you actually figure out how it works, it's very effective. And it comes with Garritan Personal Orchestra, which is a very nice orchestra sound library.
I'll give it a try.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I started using FL7 the other day, it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.
it's a little overwhelming to look at at first, but imho so is any other good audio program.

I'm gonna be seeing what I can do with this, hehe :P

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 86
I use Finale 2009. It has everything I need. And, it's great to use when writing percussion parts. I write a lot of marching percussion pieces and, it's the best program I've used to write them with.
My mind is my home

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
I use GuitarPro. Very easy to use and got some really good features.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Rep:
Level 83
The turth is but unintresting as a lie
Why isn't there so many ppl using Finale?  :(

I use finale 2009 with garritan personal orchestra - (from silbeus 4 and defualts)

I do consider myself a successful transposer/composer.

Finale is great, you just need to get used to its interface. The only thing wrong is that the Garritan Output is very umm low in volume  ;8
-__insert_signature_here__-

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I use GuitarPro. Very easy to use and got some really good features.
LOL WUT. For a tabbing program, it's the worst considering you need to put in the rests.

Also, Loche, I think arl uses Finale. He's majoring in MT so I think he uses everything. >_>

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Updated setup:

Finale for composition
ACID Pro 7 for mixing and various processes of production
Reason 4.0 for synthesis
Cubase Studio 4 for recording
Soundforge 9 for mastering

Then a bunch of really awful hardware, aside from my Axiom, which I love like an estranged ex-wife.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
Don't know why exactly I'm posting this, it doesn't matter to anyone lol

Dropping Finale and switching to Sibelius. In short, Sibelius has made composing fun again. Finale can suck it :mad:
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
I'd switch to Sibelius if I didn't already know more about Finale than the programmers of Finale do.  ;9

But I suppose it wouldn't matter in the end, because I could xml my UNFINISHED Finale scores INTO Sibelius.
Because my finishes scores are just pdf files, and once they're finished they really don't ever need to be opened in Finale ever again.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
Being so familiar with Finale (like extremely familiar as you are) is what kept me from doing this earlier too. But after using Sibelius several times at school I realized that I actually hate Finale and it's why I barely write anything anymore unless I have to. Sibelius is so intuitive and just makes things so much easier.

However I think this is a recent development. I know Sibelius used to not be able to do a lot of things, but now it pretty much does everything Finale does (as far as I can tell) only it's simpler. Plus there's a discount for switching from Finale :)

Rep:
Level 96
A DISCOUNT!? :O

Shit, that's all I need to hear.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
My school has Sibelius. We use it for our theory class. ;8 Is it really that good? o_o

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
In my opinion, Sibelius is much more intuitive and easier to use. It makes composition fun. :-]

Rep:
Level 97
You just said what I said but in a different way :mad:

My school has Sibelius. We use it for our theory class. ;8 Is it really that good? o_o

I think so. Plus it seems professional composers (like for movies and shit) mostly use Sibelius nowadays. So it's professional :B

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
yay, i use sibelius, before i used to use Finale2003... :D its cool too, but oldy =D
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
The future is calling!
This is my first post, as I just joined today.  :D

Our family is big into music, so my dad and I turned
our garage into a music studio. I play (and collect)
synthesizers. So that's what I use to make music.
My main workstation is a Yamaha Motif XS6,
and I record into a program called Digital Orchestrator.
It's a pretty no-frills program, but I use rack equipment
for effects anyway.
So thats what I use.  :lol:
Musician and fan of pixels.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
MilkyTracker (for original chiptunes samples) + Acid Pro 7 (for putting it all together)

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
I love how everyone has switched to Sibelius.
I tried Finale because everyone here was using it and it didn't do much for me.
I also like that NAM is running Acid Pro. Sony production suites are vastly underrated.

Rep:
Level 76
~I am your worst nightmare~
2010 Most Immature Member
MadTracker is a good program it playes xm,mod,it and etc music and you can export them to ogg format to use with rpgmaker 2003,xp,vx etc you can get it here...

http://www.madtracker.org/main.php

kaboth (a.k.a. Ic3ByTE)

MY SON ALWAYS DREAMED OF A LIFE AT SEA!
Rep:
Level 74
Lol Irocks a troll.
I should be beat for saying this but I use.... EASY MUSIC COMPOSER.... There I said it*phew* don't be to alarmed though I still write all my music and juts usse the progam for sounds its cheap so...

Rep: +0/-0Level 74
RMRK Junior
(Hooray. This is my first post on this site).

When I'm making video game music, I use FL Studio 9 and Audacity.  ;8

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
RMRK Junior
Yeah I use FL Studio 9 and Audacity too for some stuff, like if I wanna make a fast tempo battle piece. For the most part I use Finale though. For me it's easier to write out in regular notation and export to a MIDI, then I can edit the sounds however I want to with FL Studio and then Audacity for equilization and compression if needed.