RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Composers: What do you use?

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Yeah. I remember reading the "What's new" file of 4.01, it said "From 3.5 to 4.0? Don't ask me why..."

FL6 has like a dozen more features than the old 4.51. ::)
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 88
I thought 6 was a good improvement over 5, I really liked the extra effects, and just how much more presentable it was. But... other than that I don't think it is that different, apart from having Wasp XT which I love.

The new features are probably mainly bug fixes, but I played the demo and it looks... er... uglier. But I suppose it's nothing like ACID. And it has two new EQ's (again), a 'Love Philter', Edison (audio editor). Reading the What's New now it looks like they've done mainly bugs...

Oh well, I was messing around with the demo and made something I liked. How stupid of me. I'll just have to resist the urge to use that new EQ (not that I know how to use it anyway :P).

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Of cource there were several new updates from 4.0, but I think it's not enough for an upgrade of 3 versions. 2 would be too much, but even 3?
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I ought to try out some of these, but I've been pretty lax in terms of writing lately. No inspiration =/

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Okay, guys!

I have the program (TaBit). I know how to use it. But now I need to learn to compose.

I would like to know what you think. Where should one get started and what should the person try. Rather and randomly adding notes, I want to actually learn how to compose with more than one track and different instruments. What helps you guys in this, or how did you learn when you got started?

Any tips, trick, anything, is truly appreciated.

Thank you!

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Just hit me up in IRC and I'll answer any questions you have.

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Ooooooonnn my way!

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Personally, I think your first step should be to delete tabit from your computer, and learn a notation program like Finale or Cakewalk. Tabit is designed for guitar, and is kind of fudged into writing full scores. You would do yourself much more of a service to not waste time learning the intricacies of tabit and move on to something bigger and more comprehensive.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Unless her instrument is the guitar.

Lol, a girl playing guitar. How silly.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Rather and randomly adding notes, I want to actually learn how to compose with more than one track and different instruments.

Are you done now?

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Your post confuses me. I can't figure out who it's addressed to. It might be addressed to her, but ... why would you even say something like that to her? It's completely unwarranted, even if you took it as an insult, and if you didn't, it's still, like, pointless really. Is she done with ... what, learning how to compose?

Which leads me to believe it's directed at me, but that doesn't make sense either, because TabIt has more than one track and different instruments. Unless you were talking about, like, writing for other instruments, like knowing the range of a violin or the various tambres of the flute. The range of a violin can be emulated easily in TabIt. It's a stringed instrument, after all. A violin's tuned to G D A E. It's easy to do. Also, Finale won't tell you when you're out of an instruments' range. Neither will TabIt, really, so there's not much of a difference there, really.
And the whole tambre thing doesn't really apply at all. MIDI is MIDI.
And actually writing for the instrument comes from experience, and the format you use to write really doesn't make any difference.

But hey, whatever, it all comes down to which one you're more comfortable with. I'm more comfortable with TabIt.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 11:57:41 PM by arl »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
The first thing I will say is this: I know not a thing about music theory.
Second, I would like to know what is the difference between TaBit and the programs you suggest.
Third, I know many friends who begin with such programs, and haven't had problems. If they can, why can't I?
Although yes, I get confused with things such as choosing the number of strings, etc, I think I understand the basics. I have had TaBit for months. I am not just someone who suddenly decided to download it and start playing with it...
I have another tablature program, more complex than TaBit. I won't use it because of that. It's called Guitar Pro, and I've listened to songs composed with it. They sound really well. GP has lots of instruments to choose from. As well as TaBit, I believe?

And what am I supposed to be done with? :/

A bit more of information on Cakewalk or Finale would be appreciated. Or I can just google it.

Thank you, Holkeye and ARL. ^^

Rep:
Level 94
Tabit uses guitar tabs as input of notes. Cakewalk and Finale use standard notation, and have a piano roll, which is a virtual keyboard. Cakewalk also has a sequencing mode, a mixer board, and simple key and meter change options. Tabit is for guitars, and it may be easier for the people that are used to it, but what I'm saying is if you are just starting, better to learn on one of those than tabit. Notation isn't hard to learn. When I first started I didn't know a thing about music theory either, and after trial and error, and a bit of internet reference, I like to think I'm pretty good at composing.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Tabit can be used to make full scores too, i've heard many good tabs. But yes, i agree its MAINLY for the guitar, but others toooooooo
Arlen is hot.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Tabit is for guitars
its MAINLY for the guitar

No it's not, it simply uses the tablature method of inputting notes. I think maybe what holk is getting at is in the music world, knowing standard notation might get you further than having your music in tablature form.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 87
I like playing rocky roll on Fruit Loop XD

Rep:
Level 94
I'm sorry, but I'm sticking with that it is mainly for guitars. That is what tabs were designed for in the first place.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Now i agree to what Silverline said =D
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 94
There is no such thing as piccolo tabs, or french horn tabs.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Also, Finale won't tell you when you're out of an instruments' range.

Yes it will. Plugins>Composer's Tool's (I think)>Check Range

Also, you can use tabs in Finale.

Also, it's pretty outlandish to write music in tabs for any instrument other than guitar/bass, as it would be too difficult for a performer to read. Then again, most of you only write for recreation anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Personally, I hate tabs (except when writing for guitars, of course). It all boils down to what you're most comfortable with. People often claim how complicated and unnecessary standard notation is, and at first, yes, it's hard to get, but once you figure it out it makes it much simpler (especially for performance).
:tinysmile:

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
I attached a screenshot of Guitar Pro's window. It looks much more complex than TaBit. Yet, it is a Guitar Tablature program, although it still includes other things, I believe.

Anyway... I will check one of those two programs. I will try TaBit and one of the other two at the same time.
I have a keyboard in my room. I know just a bit, but fairly understand how to play notes without them sounding random.
Still, I am a newbie. :P

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award

Obviously not, but tablature and notation are both ways of simply representing notes. I can look at tabs and (unless its complicated lol) hum the tune without playing it.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
As of now I use Tabit. The way I use it is my own personal business.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
-.-' What do you mean by as of now LOL.
Course not Holk (<3), but making it in the guitar tab form, just expresses it in the tabulure thingy, if you get what i mean...err which you probably dont.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 87
I've always wanted to compose my own music... which program is best for starting out?
Refrain from calculating your juvenile poultry prior to the incubation process's execution.