RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RPG Maker 2003 vs. RPG Maker XP

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
Hi everyone, although I have very very little experience with RPG Maker XP, I do have somewhat more experience with RPG Maker 2003. I dont know if theres much of a difference between them though.

My friend and I have worked toghether on making short games on RPG Maker 2003 when we were new to it. Later on I started to try on making a little more advanced game, but I eventually gave up on it. Now I am thinking on starting over with a brand new idea and want to actually finish it this time. However, Im not sure wether to use RPG Maker 2003 again, or maybe try it on RPG Maker XP. I never used a script before, I dont even know exactly what it even is, are scripts only for RPG Maker XP?

I used RPG Maker XP a little bit at a friend's house once and I noticed that in RPG Maker XP I couldnt use battle char sprites. It only showed a picture of the character at the bottom of the screen. I actually prefer to use battle sprites like it allowed me to do so in RPG Maker 2003.
Does RPG Maker XP let you do that or not?

I also found that the tilesets i used in RPG Maker 2003 were much larger than those pre made ones in RPG Maker XP. The pre made ones in RPG Maker XP seemed much smaller and had less stuff to put on.

So yeah, those are my only 2 problems with RPG Maker XP that I know of so far. Thats why I prefer RPG Maker 2003.
But if there are ways to get around it that I never realized, can anyone tell me?

I also read that in RPG Maker XP you need more "scripting" whatever that means, and something having to do with RUBY??? What in the world is this? Can anyone tell me where I can look and find some kind of tutorial that teaches me a little more about scripting and coding? Because Im not entirely sure what this is.

I heard RPG Maker 2003 was good for beginners and RPG Maker XP was for the more advanced. And I heard others say the complete opposite vice versa. Well, Im not a complete noob, but im not a pro either. I do have quite a good amount of experience with rm2k3, but not with rmxp.

If I end up finding that RPG Maker XP is actually better than RPG Maker 2003 and you change my opinion, then i might want to get it, but i dont know where.

~Thanks  :^^:

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Quote from: SIlverblaize
are scripts only for RPG Maker XP?

Yes.

Does RPG Maker XP let you do that or not?

It can be made with scripts. It is called side-view battle system. Check the script section, when you learned how to add a new script to your game.

The pre made ones in RPG Maker XP seemed much smaller and had less stuff to put on.

I didn
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
I think RM 2k3 is better to use but XP has got more options

And i dont like XP's battle system..

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
As far as one being for beginners, and the other for more advanced, this is not true. You can make great games on either one. If you learn events well, you can do a lot of things on 2k3 that at first glance you wouldn't think possible. I personally prefer 2k3; graphics aren't that important to me.

I would say go with the one you're more comfortable with.
:tinysmile:

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 90
~
On ease of use... I think it depends on which one you got used to first.  They're set up differently.  Scripting with XP definately allows more options, but I think 2k3 might just have better eventing.

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
Quote from: DeathTrooper
On ease of use... I think it depends on which one you got used to first.  They're set up differently.  Scripting with XP definately allows more options, but I think 2k3 might just have better eventing.

Anything that can be scripted, can be done with events. Nearly everything.

My xbox 360 gamercard =D

Rep:
Level 90
~
Not a 5 choice menu =P

and scripting can do it better most of the time.  What I was saying though is 2k3 probably has beter event options and can do more stuff with them, whereas XP gives you the freedom of RGSS which can do a lot actually.

Well, since I already have experience with RPG Maker 2003 and with the events, Im gonna stick with that one.

I dont even know much about the rmxp scripting, so I'll leave it at that.

But thanks for your responses, they really helped. =)

Rep:
Level 91
Am I still cool?
Well, since I already have experience with RPG Maker 2003 and with the events, Im gonna stick with that one.

I dont even know much about the rmxp scripting, so I'll leave it at that.

But thanks for your responses, they really helped. =)

Good choice. I personally prefer 2k3 because RMXP is A LOT BIG HUGE LOT worse than rm2k3.
Now, in rmxp, the graphics are definately better.(noobs use rtp and all people who use rmxp use rtp. noobs suck!)
The charset and tileset length is better.
That is it. The rest of it is just degraded compared to 2k3. I think they expect you to learn tons of scriptong which is why there are so many less options.
2k3 is better in my opinion. RMXP is good, too, just not as good as 2k3.

Interested in playing these complete games and checking out more? Go to my website!

I brake for nobody
Xp or 2k3...

2k3:
+Final fantasy style Battle mode
+INN

XP:
++ Better graphics
+More menu
-Battling kinda sucks
-Taken out INN menu

:? both tie!
i just dont know...
Ill go with XP... its (Kinda) an updated version.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
XP
- make an inn menu as event
- get a sideview battle system as script

lol
 :mrgreen: Shaft: "Yeah, listen to Blizz!"
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
There are a few other useful features 2k3 had that XP removed as well. Hopefully on Enterbrain's next maker (which is supposedly a 3D one with graphics equal to FF7) they'll be more sensible about it.
:tinysmile:

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
3D one with graphics equal to FF7
Lol, no the graphics will be a lot better than FF7. Maybe FF8 or higher.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 89
The Knight Sabers Shall hunt thine adversaries.
if you ask me, id go with rmxp. if you hate the BS for rmxp and you love RM2k3's Sideview system, there are scripts for sideview BS in many websites, including Dubealex's site.

*EDIT*
I can't wait to see this "3D RPG Maker." Im pretty decent with 3D Modelling so i can use that skill for 3D RM.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 12:41:18 PM by loonygamer »

Rep:
Level 91
Thanks For Coming
I doubt itd be anything like either ff7,8 or 9 as the maps are pre-rendered images.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Go with whats more comfortable.

Also I think I'm the only one here who's like, 'ewwwwwwwwwwww' when it comes to RM3D. Video Games lost something when 3d graphics became standard for them. I'm worried that would happen to the RPGs made on RM.

I have a nagging feeling that the 3d maker is going to ruin everything.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Ever played awful homemade RPGs? Well, now they will have even 3D graphic.. Nothing
Visit our website.

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/

is a much beter source for info on ruby.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Well Blizzard. I was talking about the ones that don't suck... Wait I just remebered that's only one in fifty games made on RM.

Yeah it most likely won't change anything.

I'm starting to wonder what those ten 'games' Mental made are like. He mentioned that the comp the games were on died. So he could have made them up.

But if he didn't. I think they would be "The fantastic adventers of Emo Man".

And remember if any one wonders if the games I've done suck, you can always hit ADP...

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
If your game sucks, when you release a demo, so what? Just make it better! Don
Visit our website.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
The SR games are 3-4 hours long. About the length of the demo for your game Blizzard.

So with the SR games, I think demos would of been mildy redundant because the games are so short.

Although at this rate I have no idea how DarkWurld will be. I have maybe 5% of it done. Just enough to give screen shots. And a Plot summary soon.

:mrgreen: Just a reminder, Darkwurld is Shaft approved!

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
:mrgreen: Just a reminder, Darkwurld is Shaft approved!

Yeah! W00t, W00t! =D

S.H.A.F.T.R.O.X.!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Visit our website.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 09:32:54 PM by FuMannChu »

Rep:
Level 89
slate furry thing
I prefer RPG Maker 2003 because of the better range of functions than 2k and the 16x16 graphics "base" as opposed to 32x32 in XP.
There are many people who arn't good at spriting y'know. The smaller the easier.
Many XP chipsets are either blurry resized rips or custom. And the rtp looks better than most of the customs.
That World Map however is a BIG exception.

:mrgreen: