RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Looking for a computer

Rep:
Level 89
I AM MADLY IN LOVE WITH TERESA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am, at the moment, in need of a up to date, not advanced, computer for less then $800, I have looked at Dell, Compaq, Toshiba (That is one of them, right? lol, I can't remember), and that new company... I don't remember its name, it starts with an E... I think ... E-Machine? Anyway the point... I am not sure what is good and what is not... It needs at least

Windows XP
512MB System RAM (preferrably... 1 Gig of RAM)
2 Ghx Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor (preferrably ... 3Ghz)
128MB Direct3D compatible video card and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver
8x DVD-ROM drive
at least 4.6 GB free hard disk space

And preferrably ATI X800 Series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card...

Is that possible for less then $800? If so can anyone name any computers, if not how much would a computer with the minimal things cost?

Thanks for all the help.
Arc-Angel Entertainment
Bringing Christian values to the gaming world.

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
Id just build my own =/

My xbox 360 gamercard =D

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
me too, but i dunno how too...damn

And i dunno how much comp costs in ur country but here they cost in thousands...or 10 thousands usually in ten thousands
Arlen is hot.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16883102669

That looks perfect for what you're after. Damn, that's the first time I've really looked into complete PCs for sale in america. They're so cheap..

It'd be alot cheaper to buy a PC from somewhere in america and have it shipped over here to England :whoa:
bringing sexy back

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 90
~
Silverline I think he wanted a P4 =/

Also from personal experiences... Athlons SUCK

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
And why is this? Athlons run alot cooler than P4s. They also use alot less power. An athlon at 2Ghz will perform like a P4 at 3Ghz. Hence the + rating so you can compare them. So like thebodge has an Athlon 64 +3000, which runs at 2Ghz. The +3000 basically means it's in the range of a P4 at 3Ghz.
bringing sexy back

pokeball zxmOfflineMale
Astronaut Raticate Banana
Rep:
Level 92
Pineapple Line Colour
Quote from: DeathTrooper

:shock: You don't have then.

Rep:
Level 89
The Knight Sabers Shall hunt thine adversaries.
Quote from: Silverline
And why is this? Athlons run alot cooler than P4s. They also use alot less power. An athlon at 2Ghz will perform like a P4 at 3Ghz. Hence the + rating so you can compare them. So like thebodge has an Athlon 64 +3000, which runs at 2Ghz. The +3000 basically means it's in the range of a P4 at 3Ghz.

yep, i does. P4 is for office and business, and AMD chips are mainly for gaming. i've had A LOT of experience with P4s, they're just plain suck. www.newegg.com is THE BEST place to look for PC parts. if you can't buy online, go to Fry's or CompUSA (if you live in the US).

by the way, i'll save you the burden of looking at the prices:

CORSAIR 512MB - $36.00 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145024

AMD-Compatible Motherboard - 83.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813185065

AMD Sempron 2.0 GhZ - $109.00 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104233

ATI Radeon 9200 128 MB - $90.00 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102287

Seagate 120 GB Harddrive - $69.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148039

Sony 16x DVD-ROM - $19.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827101131

SUBTOTAL: $408.97 - LESS THAN $800!

hope this helps!

Rep:
Level 90
~
Athlons require a top of the line computer or it just dies.  All the attempts I've seen at Athlons in not so great computers has ended up in the computer blowing up.  Well it happened once.  But still all the times my dad ahs attempted an athlon the computer hasn't lasted for more than 5 hours.

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
Athlons require a top of the line computer or it just dies.  All the attempts I've seen at Athlons in not so great computers has ended up in the computer blowing up.  Well it happened once.  But still all the times my dad ahs attempted an athlon the computer hasn't lasted for more than 5 hours.

Thats bullsh*t.

Ive used athlons all my life, and i have never had problems. It wouldnt blow up, it would be more likely to "die" in a top range computer.

Unless of course you were using a low powered power supply, then it would just not work, but it wouldnt be the processors fault. Just get a better power supply.

My xbox 360 gamercard =D

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007

You must be lieing.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 91
Ignore what i say. I'm never here anyway
unless he's living in 6 years ago when AMD's did suck and Pentiums were better =/ AMD have over half the market now, Pentium are mainly existing on their brand name cos everyone knows pentium so people buy them. after looking into p.c they discover AMD and usualy stick with it afterwards  :roll:
If you post outside the sewer, don't expect me to see it.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
I still don
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 102
Well according to their own tests, Intel's new CPU that they haven't released yet severly outperforms what AMD is planning to release.

It's beleivable, looking at their Pentium M (or D, I forget), which is basically a reverse-engineered and re-built as Intel CPU.

Dell is one of the biggest computer suppliers though, and they have a contract with Intel to only use their CPUs in their boxes.
bringing sexy back

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 91
Pentium have image factor, for instance i work in a computer sales/repair shop (www.cougar-systems.co.uk i also do their website) and when a customer comes in and ask for a p.c they 99.9% of the time expect to be quoted with a P4 system and they will of never hear of a "AMD ATHLON(?!?!?!?!)" lol, don't bother with dual core, as no software takes advantage of it properly yet. 64 bit u might aswell since 64 bit windows (proper vista not shitty x64) is just around the corner. don't do something stupid like pay extra for windows XP Pro. when u wont see the difference in home (xp pro has more networking admin tool basicly).

if u go into a shop ask the person when cheap proformance upgrades their are, as at some point last month the difference from a 2800+ to a 3000+ (754 semp) was like

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Yeah, I know, what you mean. That
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 91
socket A semprons and Athlons were the same crap to good racio as they are now =/

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...

What are you talking about? Athalons are the shizm shazm.  

Actually the only processor in my opinion that sucks are celeron processors.  I hate those things.... They're so laggy it should be a crime.

Rep:
Level 90
~
Celerons work just fine.  Besides the fact that a certain power outage messed up the circuitry in my processor so I can't overclock it or anything anymore, nothing's wrong with it.  *glares at the sky* You cunning bastard!

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Lol, Celeron on 3Ghz can
Visit our website.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
Celeron is a low-budget CPU.
Last time i tried a Celeron was like like 3-5 years ago.
It really sucked. It was unstable, had supporting issues.
Celerons from  that time really sucked.
I don't know if Celeron still sucks, but as a low-budget CPU I don't have the greatest expectations with it.
I can't recommend getting a Celeron.

Rep:
Level 91
Celerons and Semprons are kinda the same level of wankness  :roll:

Rep:
Level 102
I have a duron, which means an Athlon but with 64kb L2 cache instead of 256 =\

It runs fine for me, plus I can overclock it by 400Mhz and it's still only like running at about 40*C =)
bringing sexy back