RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Making a Good Game

Rep:
Level 90
This is a tutorial on how to make a good game on RPG maker, it is in a sort of step by step guide.

1: The Story
Before you start doing anything you need to think of a good story. Just get a pen and paper and jot down what comes to mind.
An example of a bad story is when a random kid with no fighting skills is sent to save the world. Try to avoid that storyline.
Good storylines are normally having some sort of person at the wrong place at the wrong time. Most storylines are unoriginal anyway, so dont be afraid to take a few bits from games you have already played, just give em there own twist and no one will notice!

2: Characters
The second most important thing is the character(s) you play as during te game. You should take these things into mind:
 There Name
 There Gender
 There Personality
 There Apperance
 There Hometown
 There Background
All them things are vital to any main character in the story. The most important ones are Name, Gender and Background.
Your characters have to have a name, thinking of a name is often hard, a name like Rob or somethig is too plain, you need to think of a catchy name, if you think of the final fantasy series they have really wierd, but good names, Like Tidus, Zidane, Butz, they all have a little twist to them.
There gender, unless they are some alien from another planet your characters need a gender, you must be an idiot to not know what it means.
And finally the background, where did the character come from, why is he embarking on a quest, what race are they? Human, Elf, Alien or something made up it is a vital part of a character.

3: The Title
Very hard to find an original title, this is why you should do the characters, and story first, because it makes the title easier to find, think of the characters name, then think of the story and try to fit the two together. For example If the Main Character is called Klaus and he is trying to avenge his parents death call it something like Klaus' battle.

4: Towns and Cities
Whats a good game without towns and cities. You need to think this stuff through, what tileset shall you use, what race lives in the town, what is the towns history? All these questions must be answered in order to make your town or city work.
Also your town or city needs a title. Yet again this is a difficult task. If the town or city has a king then try naming it after that king, example:
If the kings name is 'King Vakkana' then you might call the city, 'kingdom of Vakkana'

5: Your villan
Every game needs a villan. Someone who wants the main character(s) dead or even the entire world. Your villan needs a reason for this though. You cant just have him wake up one morning and just decide to take over the world. He needs a reason for it. Your villan doesn't have to be very evil either, for example you could have some wizard making some sort of super creature that can do chores for you but it goes wrong and goes out and attacks the world, that also works.

Thats the end for now, if you feel that I have missed something important let me know and if you need any help just ask here and i'll be glad to answer.

Thanks for reading  :D

Rep:
Level 90
ANyone gonna read?

I always follow these rules but my plot sucks anyways...
Here's what I think on your little chapters.

1. Good Job... Wait are you encouraging plaugerism?

2. Good Job.

3. Good Job.

4. Good Job.

5. Lies, every game doesn't need a villian. Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing are good examples. Also I might note a Villian can decide to wake up one day and take over the world. Look at Kefka from Final Fantasy 6. He's evil for no plain reason.

Overall I'd say you covered most of everything.

Rep:
Level 90
I mean every Battling RPG needs a villan, at least the good ones, oh, and I have not played Final Fantasy 6, i've only played 1, 2, 5, 7, 9 and 10

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
you're missing out

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
Quote from: thatsmypie
I mean every Battling RPG needs a villan, at least the good ones, oh, and I have not played Final Fantasy 6, i've only played 1, 2, 5, 7, 9 and 10

:O_o:

6 was the best!!!

Anyway, it's a good tut. Helpful, which is obviously the point.  :wink:
:tinysmile:

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Quote from: HaloOfTheSun
Quote from: thatsmypie

:O_o:

6 was the best!!!

Anyway, it's a good tut. Helpful, which is obviously the point.  :wink:

Great tut! :^^:

Too bad I never finished 6, i kept dying after you get off the island. (Right after you kill the bosses on the floating chunk of land, when they move the statue things)

Darn the single-personed partiness!!! (she wasn't exactly my strongest character, heh heh...)
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Rep:
Level 90
Wow, this was one of the first posts I made when I joined crankeye. lol

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
5. Lies, every game doesn't need a villian. Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing are good examples. Also I might note a Villian can decide to wake up one day and take over the world. Look at Kefka from Final Fantasy 6. He's evil for no plain reason.

actually Kefka went insane ater being tested on >.> he was not just crazy to begin with -.-