RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Zelda Type of Map Switch

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
Hey everyone. You know how in Zelda , like Zelda 1, (old school) if you were at a screen, and you moved up, the map would shift to the next zone? Of if ya went left, you would go to the map that was left etc. See what im saying? Thats what im trying to go for. If that is unavailable, then how do i take my character to the next map to explore? Also im wondering, on each tileset for the maps there is diff "sprites" in each one. Can I use a "sprite" from another map, and transfer it to the next? Im having a hard time making my character explore different land. I appreciate the help.

Sorry but one more thing. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or can someone tell me what the difference in the layers is? Yes im new. Im not seeing what the "layers" is doing there.  Thank you all in advanced.

I could help you, but I must know which Rpg Maker you have.

sorry about that. Im using RPG MAKER XP. Thanks!

Sorry for the slow response.
About the screen transition thing.
In 2000/2003 you'd beable to pull it off.
But I'm sure you can in Xp, just probably requires a script.
I'd request it under the "Scripts" section.

I don't quite understand what you mean on the whole "Sprite Scenario"

And the first three layers are used for placing terrian, trees, houses and such. And the fourth is used for events (People, Signs, etc.)

If I may suggest that you always put the grass and such on the first layer.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
layer one-

Outside: Grass, basic tile (sand, dirt, road, water)

Inside: Walls, flooring, the tileset that is used in setting th eborders of the house (see dwarra's mapping tutorial)

Layer two-

Outside: Trees, buildings, cliffs

Inside: appliances and whatnot (tables, desks, beds, etc.)

Layer three-

Outside- decoration (rocks, shrubs, flowers)

INside- Decoration (pots, wall ornaments, table ornaments, etc.)

Layer Four-

events (people, chests, doors, stairs, etc.)

Rep:
Level 90
Yea wut he said and to make it do that.... Everytime you go to teleport your player use the event called shift screen. and wen u tele your character have it not fade. To make him tele to another map click on were you want the place to be that you travel and make an event saying transfer player or teleport player and then in the little box thing click on the arrow and pick were u wanna go.

I think what laugheazy meant by "Sprites" are tilesets, what hes asking (Im thinking) is how to use like for example a castle interior tileset in a farm village map. I dont know how to do that either, and kinda wondering myself lol.

PH34R T3H L33T

Rep:
Level 90
Export both the tilesets into a folder or wutever u use. Open 2 MS paints or wutever u use. Open one on each (Ex castle tileset on one and farm on other) Then stretch the bottom of one of them far down. Next use the dot [] thing and highlight all of the other one that u didnt stretch. Right click then click copy. Go over to the other paint make sure ur on the dot [] thing over there too. Then right click down were u stretched and click paste. Then save it as like farm castle or sumthin. Go onto RMXP and upload it into the tilesets place. Go into database and were it says tilesets go there then change the aray size. make it 1 more. Then were it says tilesets graphic on the new page # u made load farm village and set passabilities and stuff.
Then u got it ^_^

Lol, huge procedure, but thanks BPK, Ill most definitly try this ^.^

PH34R T3H L33T

Rep:
Level 90

Thanks for the replys. Ill check them out shortly. The event block is very small. |___| About that big or so? So the player has to get that exact spot to go to next screen, map whatever ya wanna call it. Is there a way so if the player was to walk to the top of the map, the map would shift to the next one? Instead of just that one little block he has to hit? Thanks everyone for your replys. This community is great!

Lol, i use a *lot* of event blocks lol, dont know of any other way, but it works ^^

PH34R T3H L33T

If i was to put a tree on layer 1, I also get the white background of that. Anyone know whats happening here? Cause if i put that tree on layer 2 the white background isnt there.

There is a script for the zelda style screen movement. It's not on this forum though. It is perfect for what you want, the classic zelda style. Anyway, it's on RMXP.net in the script section. It works good because I have used it.