RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Im new. Some help?

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
Hey guys, Ive always wanted to write a game (sure You've heard this a lot..), anyway, so a few months ago i graduated from school and started working on my first game, in Java, from absolute scratch and alone. Some things were damn hard, especially AI(still sorting out some bugs..).
So I read something on a different forum and heard about RPG Maker... downloading it now.
So I was wondering if anyone could help me with some info on RPG Maker:
Is this a point and click proggy or do i need to learn a new language?
What if i wanted to request specific models, is there a place i can go for that?
Are there any apps I need to download with RPG Maker? Like Java needs its SDK

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated ^.^ b

What Ive done so far: Java Source
Ive only worked on this for 6 to 8 hours, so dont expect too much ^.~

PH34R T3H L33T

Rep:
Level 91
Captain Fucking Callahan
You can get the RMXP from www.crankeye.com in the downlaods.
RMXP is the newest and best out of the RPG makers, but i like RM2k3 for the battle system.
In RMXP you will need scripts witch is different from the other makers.
You dont need a java thing for it cause i dont and mine works fine.
i got the one from www.crankeye.com like i said above.
"Always remember the best form of revenge is to better yourself." -ZV

Rep:
Level 92
Welcome Poster of Year 2006 Award
Well get rm2k3, which has the RTP included. Begin making games with that. Don't try to use Rmxp and customize everything until your good and ready.
Do you want to be part of a growing Gaming Community, with many galleries, comics, active community, and gfx artists? Also known to be friendly. Also want some free anime music just for signing up? Play in the arcade?

Click Community Forums to join!

< Zelda Fan Club

Quote from: deadly_diablo
Well get rm2k3, which has the RTP included. Begin making games with that. Don't try to use Rmxp and customize everything until your good and ready.

OK, ill try that.

EDIT: Ok, ive messed around with most of the stuff and i have a relative idea of what does what, but is there a manual/helpme for the indepth stuff?
Its stupid stuff, so id prefer not to ask, like for example programming the events... i have no idea what the code looks like on RM

PH34R T3H L33T

Rep: +0/-0Level 90
i graduated from school and started working on my first game, in Java, from absolute scratch and alone

Java? Is that some kinda game making program like RPG make XP?
Can't.....Wait....until.....Twilight....Princess.....AHH!

RPG Games:

The 1000 eye Orb (current title) -- work in progress --- RMXP
The Adventures of Kyle -- almost done --- RM 2003

Cool webcomic (its not by me, by the way): http://philtaco.keenspace.com

Rep:
Level 92
Welcome Poster of Year 2006 Award
There are other programs that are like Rpg Maker Xp and yes they can be far superior or far downer if you will.

Java is actually a programming language if I'm correct like Ruby, and it creates certain style games..now whats the word for those games??
Do you want to be part of a growing Gaming Community, with many galleries, comics, active community, and gfx artists? Also known to be friendly. Also want some free anime music just for signing up? Play in the arcade?

Click Community Forums to join!

< Zelda Fan Club

Last I checked Java wasn't necesserly all about games.
It can be used for other things also.

Rep:
Level 90
yeah java can be used for many things  and try checking crankeye.com for tutorials.
Yay i got a zoo sort of

Lol, Java is an official language. I dont know of anything that isnt programmable with Java, most websites are either written in Java or a "modification" of Java, called JavaScript. If you want a example, look at YaHoo.com. Ive seen a lot of it written in Java and JavaScript.

Java isnt really made to write games with. Its the first Cross-OS (operating system) language. Making games with it isnt exactly easy lol, you have to know a fair amount of the language to do so, even more if you want to do graphix with it.

Well, i think that should cover most of it lol, any Q's and you could always ask me ^^

The only other program i know of thats similar to RPG Maker, is Game Maker, though i have never tried or even looked at it. All i know is that it exists and some(not me lol)  think it better than the RPG Maker series.

@Deadly: "certain style games"? It can make anything you want according to my best knowledge... It has no boundaries, mainly coz its being updated almost every month or so(no, this doesnt mean that its a faulty language, its just that technology keeps advancing so fast that its hard to keep up :/)
Java even  has its own operating system, called Solaris.

For more info, you're free to visit JavaSoft.com ^.^

PH34R T3H L33T