RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Help] Creating items that teach skills to any character.

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
I'm looking to create a pile of items that can be purchased and used on a character to teach that character a skill. I tinkered with common events and tying them to individual items, but I can only get a specific item to work for one character, and not based off the using character either.

There's gotta be a way to get the item to call the item user, and teach the user the skill in question... And then set that script on the specific item.

Any ideas/suggestions as to what to do/how to go about doing it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Project(s):
Dragonblade: First Awakening - Demo not yet available
Dragonblade: The Forum game - Join now!

Rep:
Level 91
http://www42.megaupload.com/files/21f5a8c52a2568c4b4ac9b5eb1c08b2f/levelingupweapons.rar

i know it's not the thing you wanted but i don't want to make a new one, the basics are there.

(make an item like the weapon equipper, set the common event to check what heroes are in the party and let the user choose, if you don't want all of them to be listed and instead want them secret do :
if heroX is in the party then
-would you like heroX to learn the skill?
-show choices yes,no
--yes heroX +skill
---remove item(skill book)
--no
---if heroY is in the party then

and so on.)
if you didn't get it dl my weapons leveling up system to have a better look and maybe even use the system in your game
holy shit my sig was big!

If you use the skill book from the menu, you can't know who to apply it to. If you require it to be used from the battle menu, you would need to add some stuff to Game_Battler_3 I think.

Here is how I worked around the problem. You could also skip the items and just have the merchant apply the skill directly to the character in question.

1. Create the skill. I assume you will use skill 1 for the example.
2. Create the item you want in the database.
Code: [Select]

Name: Skill Book: Fancy Skill
Icon: Whatever
Description: Use to teach one character the "Fancy" skill
Target: None
Usability: Menu
Common Event: 001 (blank right now)
Consumable: Yes

3. Create a common event to back up the skillbook (use event 001 to match the item in this example).
Code: [Select]

<> Message: Who will learn the skill "Fancy"?
<> Show Choices: \n[1], \n[2], \n[3], \n[4]
: [\n[1]] Handler
 <>Conditional Branch: Hero [1] in the party
  <>Script: $game_actors[1].learn_skill(1)
  <>
 :else handler
  <>Change Items: [Skill Book: Fancy Skill] + 1
  <>
: [\n[2]] Handler
 <>Conditional Branch: Hero [2] in the party
  <>Script: $game_actors[2].learn_skill(1)
  <>
  <>
: [\n[3]] Handler
  <>Conditional Branch: Hero [3] in the party
  <>Script: $game_actors[3].learn_skill(1)
  <>
  <>
: [\n[4]] Handler
  <>Conditional Branch: Hero [4] in the party
  <>Script: $game_actors[4].learn_skill(1)
  <>
  <>

The magic is in the "$game_actors[Character Number].learn_skill(Skill Number)" Script snippet.

The number in dark blue is the number of the character you want to learn the skill.
The number in dark red is the number of the skill you want to grant. The "learn_skill" code won't let you add a skill you already know. It will consume the book with no effect.

in this example if you select a character that isn't in the party, you just get the skill book back. This example assumes you have up to 4 characters in the party.
There's a little black dot on the sun today.

:D

That's exactly what I wanted! Thank you VERY much Darksun. I'll be using this in conjunction with the Mentor system I've come up with.

I'll probably mod that slightly to have it check to see if said character already has the skill in question, and if it does, give the skill book back after displaying an informational message.

Once again, thank you!
Project(s):

Rep:
Level 91
*rolls his eyes*
great thinking.. oh wait i did the same without a script thanky for reading
and btw you forgot to condition if there are say.. more than 4 characters in the db
and your script sort of just changes a crappy 2 lines or so.. i mean come on.. -.-

you can't put show choices, what if there are no members?
if party member1 is in the party then
-would you like to teach it to party member 1?
-choices yes no

if yes teach if no ask about the 2nd one and so on..

or if you really must ask about non-exisiting members then it can be done too
and so on

bah.. scripters >>

oh yes and i might be blind but i can't find your script in your post...

next time check my event work , i answered his question a week before you -.-

but well, go ahead, make a who knows how many line script so you can remove 2 event lines lolz

Quote from: Saber
:D

That's exactly what I wanted! Thank you VERY much Darksun. I'll be using this in conjunction with the Mentor system I've come up with.

I'll probably mod that slightly to have it check to see if said character already has the skill in question, and if it does, give the skill book back after displaying an informational message.

Once again, thank you!

Happy to help. My system does have some holes in it, but it basically works. I am not looking forward to punching in all 30 of the skills I want in my game this way.  :whoa:

How does your mentor system work, if you don't mind sharing your secrets?

Rep:
Level 91
my god, it's like your script only in events
firstly it checks if the hero is event there, then message the player if he wish to teach the skill, add the skill to the hero and remove the book, if the player isn't inside the party it doesn't show the message, and every time the player say no to a hero it moves to the one after it and so on until it got nothing more
and then you either loop or just don't waste the book.

blueXx:

No offense, but I did check out that level up weapon thing... And it didn't do what I was looking for. Thanks, but it didn't fit the bill.

Moreover, to go and bash me and Darksun is a little immature, don't you think?

Darksun:

I can give you the basic idea. Anything more, you're on your own. ;)

In addition to the keyed skill tomes that any character can use and learn (thanks to you), there will be generic skill tomes. These skill tomes can be taken to specific NPCs throughout the game, and if a specific character is in the party, that NPC will offer to teach that character a new skill. Should be neat.
Project(s):

Rep:
Level 91
:roll: you amaze me, nothing else.
i didn't say "that's what you need"
i said it's builded the same way, look at the way the equippers are builded and you'll see thats just how you do it  :?

oh well, some people cannot be helped...

(and i wasn't bashing him, i was explaining the way it can be done via items by linking them to common events, which is alot more comfortable than scripts)

Quote from: Saber

Darksun:

I can give you the basic idea. Anything more, you're on your own. ;)

In addition to the keyed skill tomes that any character can use and learn (thanks to you), there will be generic skill tomes. These skill tomes can be taken to specific NPCs throughout the game, and if a specific character is in the party, that NPC will offer to teach that character a new skill. Should be neat.

Sounds pretty cool. I wanted my characters to be able to pick skills to start. I have a "test" at the start and the characters can pick some tests to take to get the skills. It feels a little contrived, but I don't want to spend time right now to create a whole skills system.

Unfortuneatly, I want some of the skills to enhance the characters skills with specific weapons. I haven't quite figured that part out yet.

I can see how I could overhaul the skill system in the code. But I don't want to put that much work into it. My free time is limited and I want to get some of the story worked out before real life intrudes.

-Darksun.

Rep:
Level 91
Quote from: Darksun

Unfortuneatly, I want some of the skills to enhance the characters skills with specific weapons. I haven't quite figured that part out yet.

if i got it right you are talking about skills like axe mastery and such that only work (to add power or whateva) while equipped with the certain weapon (axes for that matter)

since you can't avoid the person equipping his own weapons you can either make a common event that equips and unequips(like in my leveling up weaponery system) and in it condition that if a hero got a certain skill or a switch is on it will then add power (and of course only do it for axe type weapons for axe mastery and so on)

i was thinking maybe a para process of sort can check the weapon too but it will require more thinking so hmm i dunno

but that should help you with what you need or at least give you an edge

Rep:
Level 89
wtf, y do u ppl hav to do so complex, y all of this stuff is so hard, just go into database and edit the class or actors skills
Badass, and a do'er not a thinker

Rep:
Level 90
~
Quote from: Jesse 015
wtf, y do u ppl hav to do so complex, y all of this stuff is so hard, just go into database and edit the class or actors skills

.....I'm guessing you're not that bright.  He doesn't want the person to forever learn the skill... or was that equipment...  Anyway an item teaching a skill means he uses the item, he could setup the game so he might get it or not depending on how the game goes so he might not get the skill.

Quote from: DeathTrooper
Quote from: Jesse 015

He doesn't want the person to forever learn the skill... or was that equipment...  Anyway an item teaching a skill means he uses the item, he could setup the game so he might get it or not depending on how the game goes so he might not get the skill.

Exactly. I don't want character classes. The player chooses a few skills from a larger list. Think of Fallout or Arcanum. I want anyone to be able to use any weapons, weapon skills just make them more effective. Some skills are only available from game events or quests.

-D

Rep:
Level 89
o ok my mistake, u can guess im a noob at this, that just wat i though was going on
Badass, and a do'er not a thinker