RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RPG Maker XP question.

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
In RPG Maker Xp is it possible to make it so an item teaches a skill?

Rep:
Level 91
Yeah, You just attach it to a a common event.
Current Game:
The Benevrin: Sovereignty Spheres
Completion
19%
Release Date
March 12, 2006

Most Recent Photograph
Photo Too Graphic to show a thumbnail

Rep:
Level 91
Oh, and this is in the wrong forum

*woosh*
Current Game:
Completion
19%
Release Date
March 12, 2006

Most Recent Photograph

Sorry, Didn't realize it was the wrong one.

Anyways, If I was to do that wouldn't it make it so it only taught it to one person?
I mean if I was to attatch it to a Change skill then I would have to choose who it would be taught to and wouldn't be able to choose in game.

Rep:
Level 91
Hm... THe absoloute worst case, without using scripts, would be that you Show choices and make them choose the character...

Or you could have a different item that will automaticly teach a certain chracater the skill.. I dunno
Current Game:
Completion
19%
Release Date
March 12, 2006

Most Recent Photograph

Yes, but there is also a problem with that.
I have more than 4 Characters in my game so..

Or, do you know of a script that makes it so there is a Materia-like system?

Equipping an item onto weapons to teach skills etc.

Rep:
Level 91
I'm not a scripter, I'd take that to the scripters forums.
Current Game:
Completion
19%
Release Date
March 12, 2006

Most Recent Photograph

Alright Then. V.V

Rep:
Level 90
~
I play with 5 character parties.

I bet I could figure out a way, and it does sound like something worthwhile. I do all sorts of thigns without scripts...

Like in my test game, I had 5 characters... but you could only have 4 at once so there was a square to add the guy, you chose who you wanted to kick off.  And using conditional branches the square to remove him actually found who was missing and put him back.

Rep:
Level 91
5 chars without script...
surely you can add that person to the party but sadly he won't be battling unless you are going to define his entire battle system (using a battle event that will work every turn) which means defining the damage dealt, missing and damage taking

now , assuming no enemy will attack an invisible enemy you'll have to define a special attack for each which work like a normal attack but attacks your invisible guy which then means you'll have to do the battle system defining for the monsters too and make sure they will attack the other players as much as they attack mr. invisible

and even after that, when all the 4 main ones are out , even if mr 5th isn't dead you will trigger gameover...
if you won't "link with death" seeing as none of the 4 are alive it will quit the battle even though mr 5 is alive and well.. possibly...

there are enough stuff to do and solve and it's a real pain while with scripting you need to change just a few lines and you can have as many characters as you want...
sometimes scripts are superior to events..
holy shit my sig was big!

Rep:
Level 90
~
I meant the item skill teaching thing... ang you know what? I'm half way done with figuring this out.  Okay so I have a common event, I just need it so that when the item is equipped... it triggers the switch!... the switch then will find who equipped the weapon, however what is kind of annoying is that say guy # 3 has the item equipped and you equip it to guy # 4... well... guy # 4 won't learn the skill >_<

Rep:
Level 91
http://www.crankeye.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4647
since the concept is about the same you might find your answer in my demo
the skill book i suppose is easier by far, have fun

(yay post number 999)
holy shit my sig was big!

it would be pretty easy to use a regular event, just create a parallel process to see when it is equiped and then create a message and choice for the player to see (will show as one window) here's a screenshot of what it could look like, if you want just give me these specs and i will tweak it for ya and let ya have it so that it works (just place it somewhere on each map you want it to test it and make sure it is a parallel process.

specs:
~Player names
~The skill you wish to add
~The item that you want to test if worn (just need to know the name and the number of it, i.e. 001:bronze sword)
~If it is character specific or if you are able to have it on multiple people
~If you want the skill to be only while the item is equiped, or if it is a charge (perminant, but limited in times you can do it)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dream of a brighter future, one where chickens can cross the road and not have their motives questioned!

when i play my game to test it i fight a monster and when i defeat it its still there how can i change so when i kill it it dissapears plz help

Rep:
Level 90
make another event page with nothing on it and make an event to activate it.
Yay i got a zoo sort of

or at the end of the event (if that is the way you encountered the enemy) put a command "erase event" it will go away then till you leave the map and go back to it (makes for enemies that come back if you leave, that way you don't kill everyone then have no one to kill later on)

else if you did it in map properties, make a parallel process that is a conditional branch that says when a creature has death, then disallow encounters....

I dream of a brighter future, one where chickens can cross the road and not have their motives questioned!