RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Class question

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
Im a newb at this and have 2 quick questions.

What are the different layers ( what are they and what do they do) ?
and
At the beginning of my rpg I want a box to appear showing the story line, then close when they close it and another box opening to ask what class and gender they want to be, then it choses the character and outs them on the map.

Rep:
Level 91
there are 4 layers, the first 3 are graphic layers
the 1st one is the base of the map, 2nd will show as if it was builded on the 1st and 3rd will show builded on the 2nd.

(in other words 1st for ground, 2nd for say a house and 3rd for a flower on the house)

the 4th is event layer, you make events there by double clicking anywhere.

when your game begins to make a box that say stuff make a new event (event layer+ double clicking ) set it to autostart use a message event and write in whateva.
then for choosing in the same event use the "show choices (or something)" button and do what you want for each choice you put.
(say you put a fighter choice then if the player choose it change the hero's job to fighter)

hope it helps...

you should start on a black map that you'll never use for that event and finish the event by teleporting to the first map.
holy shit my sig was big!

Which maker are you using?

Also, the difference between the layers is basically just how things appear... think...I'm still kinda a newb. :P Things in the first layer are the basic "floor", things in the second layer appear over the second layer, and things in the third layer appear over everything. Then, there's the event layer, which is where you place events. If I'm wrong, would and expert quickly correct me?

Im using the newest one, 2003 somthin. I got the message thing, but how do I make it autostart and close when they want it to close?

I have my first 2 maps done, and my characters, and my message done. Whet I want now is when you clcik the yes option when you talk to a character to teliport you to my second mp, and also my game wont start when I preview it.
Could I send it to someone?

Rep:
Level 90
yeah check out my tut on interactive npcs.

this should help

http://www.crankeye.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4276

edit:it probably won't let you start it up because you haven't set a player starting postion.

Thank you a lot, your tut helped me uite a bit, but could I send my game to you? When they teliport to the second map the character is not right.

Rep:
Level 90
What do you mean? Maybe i can help
MSN CHAT-

BlueXx says: Why would i lie to someone as dumb as you?

Kite says: Cuz i'm as dumb as me

BlueXx says: Good point

I have it set up so where you answer yes to one of the characters questions you are supossed to change to that character and teliport to the next map. The teliport works but the change of character does not.

Rep:
Level 90
your useing rpg xp right if not swich before your game gets to in depth.  rpg xp is way easier to use and it has better grafics

Im using rpg xp 2003 somthing, but I still have that problem, and I put a song on and it worked, but it wont let me do anything til its done, can I make it play to where everything else still comes? like my opening message and moving the guy? And how do I change the pics that are on the left? I want like a house and stuff, not the defult wood things.

Rep:
Level 90
Let me get this straight, you want to be able to talk to someone then you automatticly go to a diffrent area ?
MSN CHAT-

Yes I got that done, when I hit the option "no" nothing happens and when I hit "yes" I teliport to map 2, but when I hit yes option I want it to change the character class.

Rep:
Level 90
ok i don't want to be a bother but switch over to rpg xp you can download the legal version on www.downloads.com(just type rpg xp in search box)

or the illigal one here at www.crankeye.com on the downloads page.  

trust me alot easier.  plus you can get alot more help on it and make a game with better grafics. :^^:

Rep:
Level 90
Ohh .. i know what you mean. You want to play as diffrent people through out the game?
Sorry i dunno how to do that, you have to ask others. i only know how to make the whole yes no thing then teliport and maybe a few other things with that.
MSN CHAT-

Thats not what a realy mean, can I send you my game so you can see?

Rep:
Level 90
Sure, email it to me or what ever .. and i'll fix it up for you
MSN CHAT-

Typo! :P

If you want to send it to someone, here's how to do it...

1. Go to http://www.zupload.com
2. Find and convert into a .zip file the following file: C(or whatever):/Program Files/ASCII/RPG2003/<Your Project Name>/<Your game name>
3. Click "Browse" on the site and find the abpve .zip file.
4. Click upload.
5. Copy the link given and paste it here.

Someone can then download it and fix/look at it for you. If I need to e more clear, let me know. Oh, and I agree with wolf, XP is much easier, which is why I'm using it.

Rep:
Level 90
That's the game ?
I'll download it in a few and check it out, i'll see what you need in it and what to edit on
MSN CHAT-

The problems are

1: Music needs to play in background(music event is above start point)
2: When you click yes to a character you need to change into that character.

Well I've only worked with RPG XP for a short while now so I can only tell you what I understand about the different layers. First there are three layers of graphic design and one layer of events. The graphics from each layer from the bottom to the top stack upon one anothers. If you try to place an object upon the floor or another object without moving up a layer then you will get some nasty whitespace. This is how I usually make use of my layers.

Lower Layer: I use this for the floor, and walls.
Middle Layer: Lay Larger Details suchs as tables, lamps, and carpet.
Upper Layer: Fine details, cups on top of tables, shop items around the shopkeeper, maybe some odd lighting.
Event Layer: Triggers, actions, characters. In here goes what really makes a game a game.

Welp, this is all I could help with considering I have a very limited knowledge of RPG XP. Good luck.

This is 2003, right? If it is, then I can't open it, I'm using XP. Frack. This reinforces my point about using XP...kinda.

So xp and xp 2003 are different?

Rep:
Level 90
Yes very ... 2003, has bad graphics. and XP has great 2-D graphics
MSN CHAT-

Can I like trnsfer my game to xp? Or is it too late?

2k3 and 2k are transferrable, but not those two and XP. Just do yourself a favor and start over in XP. :|

Wait, nvm, I use Rpg Maker XP Postailty Knights Edition Enhanced

Rep:
Level 90
No you can't do that ... sorry. You have to start all over
MSN CHAT-

Rep:
Level 90
ok whatever but it seems to me that rpg xp is way better and will be till the next version comes out thats how i see it.  btw i don't play games usually that are map with any other version with the exception of really good games and games that have to need for rtp.  so i don't have to download the older versions.

and yes i am being rude i think that its stupid that people think that the older versions are better. anything that can be done with the older versions can be done with the newer one too. even if you have to use a script to get to it.  :evil:

this is the last time i post about this my opinion stand here please don't comit on it agian. becuase you are going to get the same awnser.  

END OF MY OPINOIN STATMENT DON"T COMMINT ON THIS POST!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. Remind me never to argue with you. :shock:

Anway, josh, it is really up to you. From what I've seen, though, more people use XP...

This is xp right? Rpg Maker XP Postailty Knights Edition Enhanced and if it is, why could you not open it?

The file you uploaded was in RPG Maker 2003, correct? If so, it cannot be opened in RPG Maker XP (Postality Knights or otherwise) because the files are not compatible.

nope it was made with the knight xp thing.I fixed most problems with blaze's help.

Hmm...now I've got my own problem as to why I couldn't open it...huh. Well, if you're all set thanks to blaze, I'm off to work on my problem...

Rep:
Level 91
Thanks For Coming
Guys, stay on topic, this is a topic about classes, and your discussing which maker is best so ... :wink:

He started being off topic when he firy posted, dwarra. This is a topic about ckasses, correct? Well then...

Quote from: joshkol
What are the different layers ( what are they and what do they do) ?

So he was really off-topic from the beginning.[/quote]

sorry for going off topic, but the second question on my first post was how to add a box asking what class they wanted to be, and I got that to work so thx to everyone who helped me.

Rep:
Level 91
don't worry joshkol you didn't get off topic, once the problam was solved and you added a new problam it was clrealy a change of topic, only the topic owner is allowed to change the topic and thus you didn't do anything wrong.

I have a map where its just grass, and I have a teliport at the end to another map. What I want to do is make the character fight somthing before it is allowed to teliport.

You want him/her to have to fight?

Rep:
Level 90
Then go to the event script and put an enemie script on the same spot you teliport or a panel before you teliport after beating the monster you may enter.
MSN CHAT-

Rep:
Level 91
Thanks For Coming
Before the teleport event, make an enemy encounter before it. Make a custom victory handler, if you lose, game over lol, if you win, teleport.

If you dont want to fight them again, put a local switch a - on, then make a new page the same but whithout the enemy encounter.

So, if I just do the script enemy encounter and teliport after that script, they have to fight the enemy first right?

Rep:
Level 90
Yep, im pretty sure thats the case. Test it out .. if there's any troubles during the process let us know.
MSN CHAT-

Thx it worked perfect, but how canb I rotate objecs? Like a tree or a sign? This is not an event, just scenery.

Rep:
Level 90
I like to fuck donkeys, so I don't know what you're talking about.
MSN CHAT-

Well, like a tent in the set exteriot forest (I think) it faces dows, I want it to face left, or a fireplace to face right not down.

Rep:
Level 91
you... well.. you can't.
only charsets can be move to diffrent directions, and that's only cause they have a set of diffrent images to define how they will look in every direction, if you want a tree the is rotated to the right you gonna have to make an image or find an image of that tree rotated to the right and put it in the tileset using Paint (how to do the importing explaination can be found in the forums, scroll up and you'll see a white box, type a word in it and click "go" or push the advanced search button located under it to search better

Can you add more tile sets to a map, so I can put more then 1 kind of house?

I have a farm, with animals inside a gate. How can I make like a little balloon saying moo or somthin?

Rep:
Level 91
Soory, you have to make the image. Use paint, or ask for it in the resource section.

I created my tile set, what do I do for the tranparent and transcluent colors? And whats the passibility and direction pass and all those things?

I got my tile set working but I dont  understand the 2 colors it asks you to pick, and also how do you make an event, like an message, and then its over for ever? And can you make a normal house on the map like a player house? My idea is they could go to a NPC and buy like a chair and custamize the house.