RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Jam in a Week: Theme Challenge

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
GIAW XV IS HERE!
Strike: not any more. Welcome to JAM IN A WEEK

Remember the Genre Grinder Challenge? Well, this time we're going to shake things up a bit! Instead of competing with genres, you are given a choice of 10 different themes with varying degrees of weirdness. You can either choose a theme from the list or ask me to randomly choose one from the list for you. For more information, please read on!

The Themes
Choose what theme you'd like to make your game about, or ask to be given a random theme from the list. If you REALLY want a challenge, you could even request more than one theme. ;o

Make a game about...

Spoiler for The Themes:
1. Magical cats
Somehow, these cats must be out of the ordinary. Do they have some kind of magical powers? Can they talk? Or are their completely normal cats with magical colors?

2. Superheroes with weird powers
Superhero games aren't hard to find, but how about a superhero with an unusual power? This power can be comedic, creative, or just plain strange.

3. A controversial love triangle
Love is sometimes controversial - but a love triangle? Oh, my!

4. Being a god
Your protagonist is a god. What kind of god? We'll leave that to your creativity.

5. Random chance and/or luck
Is your character randomized? Is the story randomized? Perhaps the game is a practical game, based on playing cards? Somehow, the player shouldn't quite be in control.

6. Defying physics
Reality sucks. Why not give your player the chance to escape it by doing weird stuff that probably shouldn't happen?

7. A terrible protagonist and/or antagonist
Is this hero or villain really bad at his job? Or maybe just a terrible, terrible person?

8. Making peace, not war
Games are always about fighting, killing, and combat. Why don't you put a stop to all the violence and make a politically correct game about finding solutions that aren't quite so bloody?

9. A fangame for something you hate
Show us how you would have told the story of something that grinds your gears - even if it ends in the tragic demise of the heroes you loath.

10. You're not actually the hero (but you think you are)
You only THINK you're doing the right thing. Are you the bad guy the whole time? Or more confused than Don Quixote?
Strike: Or hell think of something else if you've got better plans, I'm not your mom.

Contest Dates
You will have one week to submit your game (or demo). You can choose your start-up date and will have EXACTLY 7 days to submit your game after the day you start. For example, if you choose to start TOMORROW January 11th you will have to submit it by January 18th at 11:59 pm. The latest day you can choose to start is (Sat) January 17th.
*Also, BE SURE TO TELL ME US YOUR TIME ZONE!

Rules & Information
Please review the following for rules and other information. Be sure that you are clear on the time you will start and end.
Spoiler for:
-For general rules and FAQs, please visit this page: Contest Rules & FAQ
-If you do not provide a start-up date, you will be expected to start on the default date, (Sun) January 9th.
-You can choose whatever day you want to start before the 16th. This means you can start the same day you sign up, if you're really eager.
-Please be sure to provide the time zone you are located in, otherwise we will assume your project is due at 11:59 pm CST (central time).
-You can use any engine to make your game, as long as the judges can easily install and play it. Strike: No judges for the JAM. If using RPG Maker, please do not include the RTP.

What to do when you complete your project:
Send me (yuyu) a private message with the download link to your project. You are responsible for uploading the project. After I receive your project, I will distribute a copy of it to each judge. We would prefer that you send your copy unencrypted. If you do encrypt it, do so at your own risk. That means that the judges will not be able to remove any bugs that hinder the gameplay.
Strike: Post it here! Unencrypted is optional but helpful for playing through if bugs are encountered.

Scoring Guidelines

Strike: This is what you'd be judged on if we had judges or if we have them in the future. you may still receive reviews who knows. the world is your oyster.
Spoiler for:
  • Polish (visuals and audio)
  • Playability (gameplay and general mechanics)
  • Ingenuity (originality and story)
  • Entertainment (the fun factor)

Participants

Total: 3
Submitted Games: 0
Withdrawn/Disqualified Games: 0

Participants
  • Boe: Random chance (Jan 6 - Jan 12 PST)
  • Bluntsword: Random chance (Jan 6 - Jan 12 CST)
  • Acolyte: Defying physics (Jan 5 - Jan 11 CST)

When Signing Up...

It's a lot of text, so I'll do this as a reminder. Tell me these 3 things when you sign up:

1. What theme you've picked (see "Themes")
2. What day you'd like to start (see "Contest Dates")
3. What your time offset is (see "Contest Dates")
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:56:25 AM by strike »
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
1. What theme you've picked: Random chance and/or luck
2. What day you'd like to start: (Wed) January 6th
3. What your time offset is: PST
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:16:37 PM by boe »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
I desire entry.

Theme: Random/Luck
Start: Wed Jan 6th
Time: CST

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
Signed up! I guess random chance is the favorite so far ;o
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.a^2 + b^2 = c^2How can I help you? :DSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
1. Theme: Peace not war
2. Start date: Tues Jan 5th
3. Time offset: CST

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.a^2 + b^2 = c^2How can I help you? :DSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I think I want to change my theme to defying physics.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Ok will do :)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm making slow progress with my main project, so maybe I'll make a little quick game with this and try my hand at the random/luck theme. ;o I think making a little game might help get me back into the spirit.
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Okay.

Within the next seven days everyone pick a day and start a project. post your start time here and your theme you have 7 days from that start time. I expect all submissions on my desk by Monday January 24th. GO.

I'm running this shit now. get to work you indie dev bastards. :mad:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:42:03 AM by strike »

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
College is coming back. I can try to make something, but no guarantees I'll finish in a week lol ;9
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
get working then, your new start time is now.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Boe and Bluntsword update your times. Aco says she's starting now so like 9:45 next sunday is her deadline.

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I'll submit mine friday.
Jan 15 2016
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
that's probably cheating but i'll let it slide, rmrk cards against humanity is a valid submission because why the fuck not.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I can make an actual game too, maybe :B
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
Ugh.

Fail.

Haven't even opened the maker this week.

Since it's kind of informal, I may try to restart and submit this next Wednesday.

If the RMRK superiors are cool with that.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
btw, fuck you guys.

Rep:
Level 96
Without a set date I didn't have anything pushing me to finish.
Without any external motivation to complete and no internal motivation, the game just kinda sputtered out.
Not much of any drive to do anything lately.
Life just kinda is, and at time I wish it weren't.
Good times. :)
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arj7oStGLkU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arj7oStGLkU</a>

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POFXGhA0AoY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POFXGhA0AoY</a>