RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
The rep system sucks, this is better

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
Okay, so we all know the rep system we have is dumb. It's arbitrary, easily abused, and if you're anything like me, its existence is forgotten 99% of the time. In the past an alternative was suggested, which was a like/dislike system for individual posts, rather than for just a member in general. Such an SMF mod exists, but the notion was divisive because it's too Facebook-y (I agree).

Lately I've seen a couple of forums use a similar but BETTER and COOLER system, in which posts are given various positive or negative ratings, like this:

Spoiler for:

If a post has few different ratings, the name of the rating would be indicated, like this:

Spoiler for:

On a member's profile, a comprehensive list of their ratings are shown, like this:

Spoiler for:

This is a much better rep system than what we have, because it can't be as easily abused. You'd only be able to rate a post once, meaning if for some reason a person had a vendetta against someone for some reason, they could only troll them with negative ratings each time that person posted. Plus, at least on other forums, when someone rates one of your posts, you are given a notification telling you who gave you what rating.

It would be much less arbitrary because it's not just about random meaningless numbers. If a person makes a good or bad post, that is reflected in the ratings, and then a person KNOWS why they are getting such ratings. If they make a stupid post and get negative ratings, they know they're doing something wrong and should learn from that, assuming they have the mental capacity of such a thing.

Of course, the immediate problem with this is the fact Roph seems to barely be around anymore and I'm not sure he'd want to implement it. Even though, as stated above, there is a like/dislike SMF mod available, that is LAME and Facebook-y and doesn't offer various kinds of ratings, meaning a custom system would need to be made. I know very little about these sorts of things, so I have no idea how intensive the work to do so would be, or if it would even be possible. Or if people would even like such a thing! If everyone wants it, I suppose we could pester Roph, otherwise...
:tinysmile:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Informative
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I can see it. I don't like some of the categories but i'd imagine it's able to be tailored.

It would mean we could give feedback to posts so those kids whose threads get views but no responses would be more likely to recieve some kind of response. less likely to freak out that no one is posting in your thread if it got 20 Cool ratings or something.

what forum are these screenshots from? or are they just examples. Do you have a link to the add on?

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
feels

This is a much better setup in comparison to the current imaginary point system.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Best Counsel2012 Kindest Memberluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
wait... so... the rep system isn't real? Like.. this means nothing?

I actually really like this idea. And I agree with strike.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
I can see it. I don't like some of the categories but i'd imagine it's able to be tailored.

It would mean we could give feedback to posts so those kids whose threads get views but no responses would be more likely to recieve some kind of response. less likely to freak out that no one is posting in your thread if it got 20 Cool ratings or something.

what forum are these screenshots from? or are they just examples. Do you have a link to the add on?

Yeah, a lot of categories would be unnecessary.

I was reading something about the Sonichu guy and ended up on this forum, which seems dedicated to lolcows in general (which I suppose explains a lot of those ratings, especially the negative ones. I don't see any mods for SMF that are like this, except the like/dislike one. The one from the screenshots seems to be this. I'm not sure how helpful that is.

I don't know if SMF could have a system that is quite as involved, but considering the Pokemon system seems to be fairly complex, something like this should be easier.

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
I want this system. :(

I found this, but it might too close to the facebook-y system (or maybe this is the one you showed me yesterday, but I don't remember the comment part): http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/?mod=1129

The cool thing is that it allows commentary, but that's just about it. ;9
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
I found this! I think this is pretty much exactly what we're looking for:

http://www.smfpacks.com/page/sa=facepunch

It's not free, though. I think it's only a one-time $20 cost, so maybe we can chip in for it if we really like it? That is...assuming this will work for us, we'd still need someone with the capability to install it that won't break the forums. ;9
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:54:19 PM by yuyu! »
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
Depends just how modified/customized our install of SMF is, but, given the resources, I could probably get this to work for the forum. We would still need to bug Roph though, because I would need a copy of the current SQL database and a copy of the forum code we use.
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

Rep:
Level 97
I found this! I think this is pretty much exactly what we're looking for:

http://www.smfpacks.com/page/sa=facepunch

It's not free, though. I think it's only a one-time $20 cost, so maybe we can chip in for it if we really like it? That is...assuming this will work for us, we'd still need someone with the capability to install it that won't break the forums. ;9

Nice find!. I couldn't find any for SMF except the Facebook-y one and ones that let you give star ratings to posts. I'm sure between everyone $20 wouldn't be hard to get. The question is, does everyone think this is worth actually spending money on? I would chip in

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
I'll chip in $10 next paycheck.
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'd chip in, too! :D
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I would like to point out that the Unbranded one is probably what we want. don't want any faggoty branding for someone else on rmrk.

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
While we're on this topic, what the heck does my "level" mean?

And I like the suggested changes.

Rep:
Level 97
I would like to point out that the Unbranded one is probably what we want. don't want any faggoty branding for someone else on rmrk.

Eh? Didn't even notice that. So we need to get $30 then!

Level is just another arbitrary number that is calculated based on your post count and amount of time since the day you've joined. So even if you don't ever post, your level will go up just because it does.

Rep:
Level 96

When you slap a woman, you level up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6clbNpE6hag
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
$30 isn't really a big deal, either

also boe slaps me all the time. That's why his level is so high. : /
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
talked with roph about it a bit. this would add a lot of weight to the database and smf 2.1 is due to be out soon and might make it incompatible and need to be scrapped when that change hits.

sounds like we'd be better off with an alternative.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Damn. I guess we'll have to wait a bit. It's not really an urgent change, just a cool one. ;9
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
I liked the way it was :(

Although yeah, thumbing up posts makes more sense than thumbing up people.

Unless you're in to that. :pacman:
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
it's not just thumbs or likes or whatever

for example, someone posts a script that seems useful, maybe you don;t have anything to comment on as a kinda lurker, but oh now you can tag the post USEFUL or NEAT or something and the person knows that people are seeing it and acknowledging it.

You might have noticed that a common reason newbies don't stick around is lack of acknowledgement.

Now I mean we really should try to post some kinda response on new scripts or resources or games when we can.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
So it's like posting "neat" or "nice script" without actually having to post that because those posts are tedious

i like it
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
that's the idea. those posts can provide some positive feedback but mostly just end up like posts with someone saying "LOL" because they thought it was funny but have nothing to add.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]