RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[2k] Rogue Story - My Attempt at Making a Game (COMPLETED)

Rep: +0/-0Level 65
It's all done...
Rogue Story
My Attempt at Making a Game, current version 1.2, Updated June 15, 2015
Press space (or z) to activate the stairs edition

Introduction and Game Info
Hi all, I'm link491. Today I come before you all to happily present my first attempts at game design, in the form of Rogue Story  :). For the most part, this is my attempt to put together a roguelike-style game in RPG Maker 2000, so I'm not completely familiar with all of 2k's functions yet. Because of this there may be small bugs, but from initial playthroughs I haven't encountered any.

Game Features
  • 3 Levels of maze-like dungeon to get through
  • 1 Big boss at the end
  • 4 Classes to choose from, each with different strengths, weaknesses and skillsets.
  • Very steep difficulty curve, as I said, this is an attempt at making a roguelike.
  • Characters die. Whenever your character dies, you are brought back to the selection screen and get to pick a different character. Any level progress you made with the previous, as well as any items you had are added to your new character.
  • Randomization! That's right, all items you find from monster drops are completely random, as well as the order and type of dungeon you have to play through. No playthrough will ever be identical!
  • No random encounters! Monsters spawn in the dungeons, and after you kill them, they will respawn after a certain amount of time.

Screenshots
Updated June 15, 2015

Download
The game is complete, although there may be bugs which I'd love to hear about!
Download (Mediafire) Download

Spoiler for changelog:
  • June 15, 2015: Fixed a bug where you couldn't advance levels (oops). Tweaked difficulty slightly so it's more feasible to actually complete the game. Updated the title screen to not use the stock one, credits go to Fazinha123 for his title screen thats up on Charas-Project. You now need to press space (or z) to activate stairs.
  • Febuary 7, 2015: Initial Release
Credits
  • Enterbrain (or, ASCII as they were when they released RM2k) for their great design program which made this all doable for me
  • Sky Render for his excellent RPG Maker 2000 Tutorial
  • Don Miguel for translating RPG Maker 2000

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:53:08 PM by link491 »

Rep:
Level 72
The cloaked schemer
Most Promising Project 2014
I'm a sucker for rm2k graphics so i'll give this a shot.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Sure, what not. Looks interesting.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep: +0/-0Level 30
RMRK Junior
I gave a shot to your game.
Started as a knight, lost at some point, then as you mentioned, picked another character, so picked the gladiator the second time...

This time I reached the stairs of the first level... and I got stuck. The character just couldn't move, although I could open the menu... I didn't check your scripted event, but I'd advice you to check on other (working) peoples games to see how thinks are usually handled.

Also, not a big issue, but at the start when you control the cursor, you can open the menu... which is kinda messy since you don't have a character yet. Did you know you can prevent the player to open the menu through the enable/disable menu event (3rd page)

Last and least, if you don't intend to let the player leave the village on the way south, from the first screen, then I recommend putting something on the way... Make it obvious it's not a bug... Since you didn't bother putting an entrance in your dungeon, I don't really see the point of this...

It's kinda weird too, that it is not possible to get back to the village, no?

Anyway, I'm not much into roguelikes (I hate anything random...) so good luck with that.

It's all done...
I gave a shot to your game.
Started as a knight, lost at some point, then as you mentioned, picked another character, so picked the gladiator the second time...

This time I reached the stairs of the first level... and I got stuck. The character just couldn't move, although I could open the menu... I didn't check your scripted event, but I'd advice you to check on other (working) peoples games to see how thinks are usually handled.

Also, not a big issue, but at the start when you control the cursor, you can open the menu... which is kinda messy since you don't have a character yet. Did you know you can prevent the player to open the menu through the enable/disable menu event (3rd page)

Last and least, if you don't intend to let the player leave the village on the way south, from the first screen, then I recommend putting something on the way... Make it obvious it's not a bug... Since you didn't bother putting an entrance in your dungeon, I don't really see the point of this...

It's kinda weird too, that it is not possible to get back to the village, no?

Anyway, I'm not much into roguelikes (I hate anything random...) so good luck with that.

Hey, thanks for the reply and feedback! :)

I wasn't aware of that bug, and I'm going to look into it and hopefully figure out what the problem is. I'm going to make an update soon that will hopefully clean things up and make the game overall a more polished product, as well as fix the bugs and maybe tone the difficulty down slightly.

Again, thanks for the feedback!
-link491

Edit: Fixed that bug, disabled the menu during character select, added overall more polish. It should play a bit nicer now :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:51:16 PM by link491 »

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I don't know why I didn't notice this before. Looks pretty cool. Good job! :D

It's all done...
I don't know why I didn't notice this before. Looks pretty cool. Good job! :D
Oh wow! Thanks for the kind words :)
I just finished an update for the game, that fixes a rather game breaking bug that I have no idea how it slipped by me the first time. It also polishes up the game a bit and makes it a bit more fair on terms of difficulty. Hope you enjoy :)

-link491

Rep:
Level 84
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
You should really try to avoid making cave sections too straight, as in this screenshot:

Nature doesn't normally work like that.