RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] Custom jumping system help

Rep:
Level 75
Moose Warrior of the Moose Brigade
I'm making an action adventure type game with a bit of a platformer twist to it. One of the controls i'm trying to implement into the game is jumping. I didn't want to use the in program jump feature that's in the Move Route commands because I want to make certain objects able to jump over and others not able to, also I want to include an aerial attack so that you can press the attack button while in mid air to execute said attack. With that in mind, I planned to make the jumping action in the Common Events through switches/variables and animated with character sets. I made a 12 frame jumping animation via character sets, and when the character stands still and jumps, the animation looks perfect. When the character is moving  and jumps, the animation skips frames and bugs out. Is there any way to fix the character graphic from lagging like this?

The jumping animation is set up to change to next frame after a wait command of one frame, but it seems like when the character is in the process of moving to the next coordinate it waits until the move is completed to change graphic, and to move from one tile to the next takes 4 frames. So the character will move, stuck on one frame, then after that move is completed skips over 4 of the jump frames.

I tried turning off Move Animation but that still doesn't help.
I tried only moving the character in increments of 0.5 or 0.25 on the map but then it still skips a bit or lands on a .75 tile.
I tried animating the jump using an animation file and making the character graphic disappear for the duration of the animation then reappearing, but there always ends up being a frame at the beginning or end (or both) of the animation that bugs out. I tried double checking all the frames of the animation and resetting all the properties but the problem still remains. And animations would appear over top such things as trees or anything with a higher priority on the map and I can't have that.
I tried using pictures to animate the jump, and the visual is perfect, but like the problem with animations, it would appear over trees and high priority tiles.

This is really bugging me, I've been using this program for years and I know how to do just about anything when it comes to eventing. If anyone knows a way to make it so change graphic takes place immediately, or anything else that would solve this problem, even if it's with scripts. Thank you

Your friendly neighborhood moose
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking until you do succeed

Rep:
Level 72
The cloaked schemer
Most Promising Project 2014
Let me just start by saying, I really do NOT recommend continuing this with events. Seriously, it's going to be a headache if you don't actually script this. Not saying that it can't be done, but it could lead to a lot of wasted effort. Platformers and even existing abs in rmxp require tons of information that you just can't provide in a simple fashion. Hitboxing, states, and animations, are just a few that come to mind. It's much more beneficial for you and this project to just script it.

That being said, I'll help you out.
Try direction fix + move animation = off

Rep:
Level 75
I figured scripting would of been the most logical way to do it. The only thing is i'm not good with scripting DX I tried direction fix too but still doesn't do it justice for me.

The closest I've got it to work was with the Move Straight script and only moving it 0.25 tiles at a time then changing the graphic for the next animation frame. Works fine with the full distance jump, but when it comes to a jump that gets cut off short due to an obstacle in the way the character seems to get stuck on a 0.75 tile. Could probably fix it, but just a hassle to figure out what needs tweaking in all the commands to make it work.

If there is a script to animate moving characters freely, or something of the likes, that would be great. Or if someone could figure out how to write that. Maybe I should inquire about this in the script requests?

Rep:
Level 75
I know how I want everything else done for this game as far as eventing goes, and I got the necessary scripts to do it too, just this jump animation. I could make it function the way I want but I would have to sacrifice the visual of the animation, and I would much rather keep that if possible.

As far as other actions and controls in the game that might cause trouble goes, I wanted to incorporate an aerial attack using a sword while in mid-jump, and a running jump that increases the total jump distance. The trouble with running jump would be the same as the regular jump, trying to get the animation to work. The aerial attack might be a little more trouble then that though. But if I were to ignore the quality of the animations I could event all this easily.

If I knew some basics to scripting I might be able to pull something off. I can edit a few things in scripts that are already made, display windows in menus and customize them a bit. But overall nothing too special

Rep:
Level 72
The cloaked schemer
Something that you could possibly do, spawn a second event. Make the event's coordinates equal to the player coordinates at all time. This would complicate things a bit, seperating movement and animations, but it would also give you control over the second event's animation. If you simply set the event's x and y coordinates to the players, then technically it is not moving, so the normal overrides would not effect that event. You could play all your animations directly on that event and it would work.

Just a theory though.

Rep:
Level 75
Ahhh I like the way you think, I will keep this in mind. Still tinkering around with some other ideas trying to make it work

Rep:
Level 75
I didn't get around to trying the second character idea, but I did manage to work something out using animations. It works and looks good right now, but there's still the problem of the graphic appearing over high priority tiles. Is there anywhere in the script database where I change the Z priority of animations all together? I'll look in the meantime. If there isn't then I guess I'll need a script where I change priorities of animations and/or characters and events (I'll probably be using the Mode 7 script for this so most objects like trees and stuff will be done in character sets)

Rep:
Level 72
The cloaked schemer
You can't change the Z value of animations without modifying the RPG::Module. Then, it would require you to actually use a script call code in place of "play animation" unless it was modified in a certain way.