RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RPG Leveling Systems?

Rep:
Level 41
Hey Sexy Girlfriend!!!
I've seen several different styles of leveling systems for RPG games on different consoles and handhelds. The  only ones I know of are these:

Elder Scrolls Leveling System (Every Skill, Combat or Non-Combat, is leveled by multiple uses of that skill)
Pokemon Leveling System (Each level gained gets you further skills and randomly generated attributes)
Diablo Leveling System (Each level gained gives 5 points to distribute to all attributes)
Fable Leveling System (When you gain EXP, you can spend these points on any attribute and/or skill)

Does anyone know of any other leveling systems? And how can these be transferred to the RPG Maker Programs?
"I'm singing in the rain, just singing in the rain...."

Rep:
Level 43
Somewhat got a project? (\ô/)
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
I  know many other, I use the Fable styled one. ;) You don't get up levels, you learn everything by points. ;)
1. Zelda / Alundra Leveling (You collect items to level up.)
2. Final Fantasy 10 / 12 / 13 / 13-2 (The Spheroboard or the Licence Board, "Kristarium", sorry I only know the german word)
3. Final Fantasy 9 (You learn by equiping things.)
4. Disgaea, La Pucelle, Phantom Brave (Leveling up weapons/items/Armours and the transimigrate system)
5. Makai Kingdom ( Same as 4 plus you got bases to boost your statuses.)
More I don't know so far, I hope that helped you. ;)
Some of them allready got scripts, else there is some experimenting with common events, or if you talented with scripting, you can do them with that. ;)

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
Baten Kaitos: You get Exp like normal but have to go to a save point to actually level up.

Rep:
Level 82
A skill tree is also another system that is used and works quite well (once implemented) with RPG Maker.

Wild Arms (the original PSX game) also has a different style of learning skills, with each character also having their own way. Magic was learned by finding Crest Graphs which you could then use to "purchase/learn" new skills at special shops. One character learned them over the course of the game through lore/story related events. The last character got his by acquiring them through the game, sometimes in chests.

You could also take ideas (both existing and your own) and, working with a good scripter who wants to help, you could develop almost any kind of system you want. All it takes is work and effort, which for something you enjoy and love is always worth it.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

Rep:
Level 43
Somewhat got a project? (\ô/)
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
You could also take ideas (both existing and your own) and, working with a good scripter who wants to help, you could develop almost any kind of system you want. All it takes is work and effort, which for something you enjoy and love is always worth it.
That was really well said. I have a lot's of ideas, but most time I couldn't do them, because I can't script. :(
I can write existing scripts so as I want them, but not more. ;) So I can resize, replace and such really basic stuff, but nothing like to write a script, where you can make scripts bigger then the regular 1x1 or 32x32 pixels. I wish I could do this resize of scripts, because I have placed about 100 Events, only, because I don't know how to make a big bridge apear, after doing something. ;)
But anyway back to topic. :D I often combine some Leveling scripts and make that way a unique system. ;)

Rep:
Level 41
Hey Sexy Girlfriend!!!
I wanted to figure out the Elder Scrolls Leveling System for my game, but I might go for a Fable leveling system if I can't figure out how to create the first one.
"I'm singing in the rain, just singing in the rain...."

Rep: +0/-0Level 40
Game Crafting Minor
A leveling system that I've scarcely seen is leveling not the character, but the weapons themselves.

The Dark Cloud series uses this, but the weapons also break and revert back to level one (or disappear entirely anyway unless it's your basic weapon). You can "build up" your weapons into a series of other weapons if you follow the requirements to do so for each individual sword, hammer, slingshot, etc, where there are a good couple of weapons in each category but there are only a few Ultimate weapons that they can build up to.
There was even a sword where you had to fish in a certain pond and catch a certain fish at a very specific time of day in order to get hints for that weapon's Build Up stats (and that sword is only bought through fishing points, too xD)

I'm pretty sure there was another game that did this, but I honestly forget. Dark Cloud had some poor graphics, but that system and the story were pretty interesting. It's a pretty cool system.

EDIT: The other game I was thinking of was the Fatal Frame series. Very similar, but it doesn't break xD