RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXA] ATS: Face Options 1.0.3

Rep:
Level 43
Somewhat got a project? (\ô/)
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
I will surely use this in my game with credits to you. ;)
This is really awesome, I looked for a script that shows bigger faces. :)

Rep:
Level 74
He with the Grin to Scare Young Children
OH GOD YES YES YES THANK YOU SO MUCH IVE BEEN WAITING FOREVER FOR THIS SCRIPT IN ACE OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD.
Websites:

Social Media:

Rep: +0/-0Level 74
RMRK Junior
Orz, I apologize in advance if i'm doing something really dumb/blind/wrong, but I am extreley stupid when it comes to script, so please bear with me ;-;

I installed all five scripts and they're doing fine so far, but I'm running across an oddity I can't seem to fix:

I'm trying to make a compact little message box+face+name.
The setup works fine except for the width of the message windows, which does not fit the message. It works fine when there is no face present, so I can only assume it's something to do with the face being the cause (I'll be damned if I know, scripting is all magic words to me OTL)

I'm using:
-Disabled paragraph formatting and appending
-Enabled fit to window (obviously)
-Face Overlap NOT allowed.

The idea is to have a less clunky big box (if you use a face with little text things get a bit weird, but if you have the face overal allowed it just makes one box within the other and it looks clunky anyway ;-;).

Thanks for your time and I hope I'm not just beign a friggin blind idiot and missing something basic *crosses fingers*

Edit: After some more testing I found out that leaving the Face overlap ON will remove the problem, but it still looks a bit iffy with the box within the cut box that happenes when the windows overlap, so if possible I'd like to make it compatible with the setup above.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:35:20 PM by indrah »

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
RMRK Junior
I'd love to use this script for my projects, but I'm running into an issue with it and automatic formatting of messages from ATS: Formatting and ATS: Message Options.

When using \af[n] to set face graphic, it works properly as long as you specify a specific ID. If you use \V[n] to get the value of a variable storing the index of an actor in the database to get the portrait from (EG. '\af[\V[2]', where variable 2 contains the index of an actor with a portrait), it still grabs the portrait properly, but seems to break the automatic linebreaks implemented in ATS: Formatting and ATS: Message Options; for sufficiently-long messages it will wrap off the right side of the screen. A longer message than displayed for the first example will eventually wrap; is this something to do with both the size of the portrait and/or the length of the message code?
Including the variable-displaying option without using \af[n] to set the portrait doesn't seem to break paragraph formatting for a message.
Examples are below, anyway.

Spoiler for Examples:

Message used was '\af[\V[2]]This is a test of the conversation system.', where variable 2 in this case currently holds the value 14.

Message used was '\af[14]This is a test of the conversation system.'

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Project of the Year2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Most Promising ProjectParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
I have created a tiny add-on which allows for using wave_amp, wave_length, and wave_speed on the face picture. Although most people do not use those sprite functions, I have found that they make for a nice 'ghostly' appearance.

The coding is quick and dirty. Probably a better way of going about the addition without re-loading keys multiple times, but should work fairly well. Simply place the following code in the slot underneath of the ATS: Face Options script. Then simply use the ats_next or ats_all command to set face_wave_amp, face_wave_length and face_wave_speed to whatever you desire.

The only issue is setting wave_amp, wave_length, and wave_speed to zero, which borks any further usage of the options. Not sure exactly why, and I am currently too preoccupied to spend time figuring the problem out. Not too big of an issue, as there should be no reason to set all three to zero anyway.

Code: [Select]
class Game_ATS

CONFIG[:ats_face_options].merge!(  {
    face_wave_amp:           0,
    face_wave_length:        180,
    face_wave_speed:         360,
  }   )

CONFIG[:ats_face_options].keys.each { |key| attr_accessor key }

end

class Game_Message

Game_ATS::CONFIG[:ats_face_options].keys.each { |key| attr_accessor key }

end

class Spriteset_ATS_Face

#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  # * Setup
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  unless method_defined?(:addon_05202014_satsf_setup)
    alias_method(:addon_05202014_satsf_setup, :setup)
  end

def setup(*args, &block)
    addon_05202014_satsf_setup(*args, &block)

unless empty?

@face_sprite.wave_amp    = $game_message.face_wave_amp
      @face_sprite.wave_length = $game_message.face_wave_length
      @face_sprite.wave_speed  = $game_message.face_wave_speed

end

end

end

UPDATED 05-29-14

IS YOUR PROJECT OPTIMIZED?
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I received the following question by private message:

Hi! Sorry for doing a dumb question, but I wonder if you can help me with this OTL I-I'm trying to do a visual novel and I need this script of yours to set faces like I want:

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,48031.0.html

But I'm totally lost! OTL It's the first time I use a Script and I don't understand a single thing >_o Surely you wrote perfect instructions but I'm afraid I can't understand it, no matter how many times I read it. Thing is, I don't know how to make a proper Script Call. Even if I found the option, I don't know what code should go there or what code should go on the dialogue box Uu I want the pic to show the same way as the first screenshot, but I don't know what to do and it's frustrating because I'm sure it's not that complicated but I just can't see it, haha Uu

Can you please help me? I'll be gratefull forever! ;-;U

I answered this way:

Quote from: modern algebra
Well, there is a demo that shows how to do everything. If you log in to RMRK, you should be able to access it.

As for script calls, it is the very last command on the third page of event commands. You can see which codes to use from the demo.

For large facesets though, you don't really need to use any script calls. All you need to do is make the graphic and use it. If you want to have just one face in a graphic (i.e. not a set of 8), then just include a $ at the start of its name.

Rep: +0/-0Level 37
RMRK Junior
Sorry, how can I use two steps for the picture that blink the eyes??? I have an intermediate image that have the eyes semi-closed, how can I make it appear before the one that has the eyes completely closed? Thanks!  ;)

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
That's not currently a feature in this script.

RMRK Junior
So, can you implement it in your script please?

Rep:
Level 97
I don't intend to do that at the moment, since I haven't had a lot of time for scripting recently. Sorry.

RMRK Junior
Ok, thanks, one more thing, I want to overlap the text of my message on my large face, how can I do it? This is because most of my image is trasparent, so I want to put my text a bit more to the left. Thanks! :)

P.s. I don't speak English very well, excuse me for my mistakes, if I did it!

Rep:
Level 97
You can change the :face_width to a specific number, and then it will horizontally only take that much of the centre of the face.

Alternately, I suppose you could reduce the :face_padding to a negative number. That might cause errors if it's too small, so the safer route would probably just be to edit your images so that they don't have so much empty space on the right side.

RMRK Junior
I just took the time to work through this script (awesome, by the way) to make a face set of 5 Large Faces that are selected based on the party member index.

However, there is one glitch that keeps happening.

Whenever I first call a message to appear with a large face/bust, the message window lags a bit. It expands like normal, but stops for a split second, then skips to the window being fully drawn. It seems like there is a lag between the script determining which face to load and the message being drawn.

If this can be fixed to be smoother, that would be great! I can try to get either a screen recording or example snapshots to explain if needed.

Rep:
Level 97
Sorry for responding so late. I have not been around recently.

Unfortunately, the lag is probably from loading the graphic. While it could be cached, it is probably not the best idea to cache many images that are that large. The best solution would be to make them individual graphics instead.

RMRK Junior
That's what I thought.

Unfortunately, my set up, along with how the script accesses the pictures, makes it seem like that isnt possible.

Each faceset is 1 actor with 5 poses (Smiling, frowning, etc.) and a 6th "face" used as the Face for menus pictures, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the script is set up so I cannot do both "Face of actor based on party index" as well as having each face pose as a different file.

If I have to, I may just remove the luxury of automatically using the faces based on index, and just use a Conditional Branch each time to check for different actors and use different faces.

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah, you should be able to do that.

RMRK Junior
I should be able to have different files for each actor pose, and be able to access them based on the index in your party? If so, I have no idea how to, because I have read through the script multiple times and am not able to figure it out... :/

Rep:
Level 97
Oh you might be right. I wasn't sure what you meant with the poses at first, since I was thinking the actor only had one face assigned to him in the database anyway. I guess you must be using \f{n} to change the pose during the message? In that case, you're right.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:04:28 AM by modern algebra »

RMRK Junior
Any fix to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ScndqO354&feature=youtu.be

I tried everything and can't get rid of that lag. Everything was coming along so nicely T.T Help?

Edit: I solved it by moving the message window out of the screen but I'd like a more 'clean' fix if possible as as for now it won't let me use fade-in options for example.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:57:04 AM by Kyuukon »

やれやれだぜ。

Rep:
Level 35
A Modest Proposal
Hopefully this is a quick question.

In my game, the player is able to select a character to play. Using \af[x] in text boxes works great.  Is it possible to use an emoset with the script? I feel like there's some way to manipulate the animation portion of the script to do what I want.

Many thanks. I've been enjoying many of your scripts. ^^

Rep:
Level 86
This part of me, I choose not to see.
Reading back over the script, are all normal animation functions available if you're using faces as individual images (so both blinking and talking?). I can't seem to see an option for blinking in the description for large faces.

I was using it the normal way (a sheet of eight, 4 talk frames, and iterations of each with a blink) but I'm getting the lag. So, obviously, it's no longer an option to use since I've had reports of it from even the fastest computers.

I can't seem to fathom how to actually set up the animated faces with the individual images. "In other words, "$Actor3-3%[2]" would be a set with two faces in, the first half of the image with one pose and the second with the second pose." is this not the same as using a faceset sheet? Or am I missing something in terms of naming the frames?

Rep: +0/-0Level 32
RMRK Junior
This is going to be a silly question, but I want to make sure I can use this script in my (commercial) game Die Nachtblume... the default terms of service are for non-commercial use only, so I was wondering if this script is likewise ONLY for non-commercial use?