RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] Animation & Movement Script

Rep:
Level 72
The cloaked schemer
Most Promising Project 2014
Animation & Movement Script
Authors: Zexion
Version: 1.2
Type: Enhanced Movement System
Key Term: Custom Movement System

Introduction

I created this script because I really loved the features of some of the scripts out there. Two in particular were DerVVulfman's Multi-Pose Charset Script and Dirties re-write that allows for vertical correction and a custom number of frames per charset. They both had features I disliked though. DerVVulfman's had too many features, that I just felt that I didn't need laying around. Dirties was highly incompatible because it is a full rewrite.
Though this is also a full rewrite, it also has just enough features to be of great use.

Features

• Optional 8 directional movement - Does not require 8 directional poses
  • Optional 8 pose charset - Can be any number of frames by adding "iso"
  • Ability to customize ANY charset's frames by adding "cs_#"
  • Vertical correction - for charsets whose feet do not touch the bottom. "v_#"
  • Option to use first frame as a "standing" frame (1 frame idle) with "stn" tag

Screenshots

Spoiler for:

Demo

No demo, but will make one upon request.

Script

Place above main:
Spoiler for:
Code: [Select]
[s]I don't know if I was imagining this bug, but it seems that the events also use the correct graphics when moving in eight directions without eight poses. (Previously they would randomly disappear.)[/s]

Instructions

Explained pretty thoroughly in the script!

Compatibility

I don't think it is compatible with other movement scripts, may cause issues with pixel movement. Haven't tried it with blizz abs, but there is a 75% chance that it is not compatible. Should work with SDK, but not tested.

Credits and Thanks

• DerVVulfman for base of 8-directional movement.
  • Dirtie for the frame calculation
  • Me for Mashing the scripts together
  • KK20 for helping with my mashing errors :P

Author's Notes

Here is an 8 directional charset that you can use as an example.
Aluxes iso.png
It is simply an iso charset, you can still add cs_8 to make it have 8 walking frames, or stn to make it have a stand frame.

If you have a suggestion,
Spoiler for:
you can shove it. (jk)
please feel free to comment :) I'll try my best to add or help you add anything you want to it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:13:00 PM by Chaos_Zexion »

Rep:
Level 75
Moose Warrior of the Moose Brigade
Pretty neat. If you were to set it to have 8 walking frames, would that only apply to the actors or all characters and events in the game?
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking until you do succeed

Rep:
Level 72
The cloaked schemer
It applys to the charset being used. If you want 8 walking frames add: "cs_8" (no quotes) to the file name. That charset will now have 8 frames whether it is an event or an actor. If, by chance, you mean walking in 8 directions, then yes it will apply to everything no matter what. You don't need 8 poses though for it to move in 8 directions. There might be a few bugs with the events moving in 8 directions without 8-poses though. I haven't looked at it in a while.

Rep:
Level 75
Moose Warrior of the Moose Brigade
OK that seems pretty handy. So you would have to make the charsets compatible for 8 directions but you don't need to put cs_8. But in reality you could just edit your charsets so the diagonal poses are blank and leave the rest as is, and it would still work for up, down, left, right. And I do believe a character set to move at random doesn't perform diagonal movement.

If you wanted to leave random characters undetailed you could, and then certain characters could have 8 directions and/or poses. But actors would have to at least have 8 directions
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking until you do succeed

Rep:
Level 72
The cloaked schemer
Sorry for the really late reply. It's simpler than that. You can use diagonal movement without having to change the charset at all.
By deafult Eight directions is enabled.:
"EIGHT_DIR = true"
If you want to support 8 poses (as in 8 directions) you add "iso" to the charset name.
Otherwise it will work with default charsets. If you want to support 8 frames (as in 8 walking sprites) you must add "cs_8 stn".
Now a charset consists of 8 rows with 1 standing frame and 8 walking frames each.

Edit: I'm also aware of the bug, but I don't have time to fix it. I will try and see what I can do tomorrow though.

Rep:
Level 72
The cloaked schemer
Updated the script. I'm not sure if I had already posted the newest version of the script, but the last time I did (at C-P) it had an error when you run the game. The new script is error-free and includes a fix for two things.

Code: [Select]
Updated to version 1.1

KK20 Fixed a bug that I found in the script which prevented character sets without the iso tag from working properly.

5/26/2013
Updated to version 1.2

Fixed the draw_actor_graphic definition.