RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXA] Sou Ember

Rep:
Level 86
Deviant Designer
Introduction
Soul Ember is a fantasy RPG with romance, tragedy, and deep character development. I've only been working on the project for about a month, but I'm making sure to spend a long time on the most important parts of the game: story, characters, and gameplay. I will begin on a demo soon enough, but I will need to get music done before then as well.

Plot
Spoiler for:
The land of Zangard was filled with much prosperity until one day an experiment was done to two small children. Due to a backlash effect from the experiment as it failed, it unleashed a great force upon the world from mixing the two ancient bloodlines together. This did not affect the world immediately; for it had taken course in its veins: to slowly consume it over time. In order to reclaim balance, those responsible for the experiment needed to decontaminate the blood of these two ancient bloodlines, but it could not be done so easily, and they were limited on time. They tried for 10 years, but one day the boy managed to escape and could not be found the following day, so they sent out messengers in order to recover him before it was too late.

These ancient bloodlines came from the Spiritual Realm, and no mortal could arise to it without the aid of a special device and being part of the ancient bloodline. This device was called SoulEmber - it ignites the soul in order to ascend to the realm above. By igniting the soul, it allows a seamless transition of the body that can be reformed in the new realm.

This boy that escaped never had been given a name, so he picked a name that he found suitable: Zephyr; for all he wanted was answers of his past and cared for nothing more... He was destined to be consumed by his evil nature, but kept in balance due to the effects of the experiment. If it hadn't been for its effects: he would be completely consumed by hatred and vengeance. His mission started here, and it wouldn't be finished until he learned the answers he wanted. His destiny was set in stone, and he followed it with no other choice in the matter.

Characters
Spoiler for:
Zephyr

• Main male protagonist.
  • Arrogant, selfish, and stubborn.
  • People are drawn to him.
  • Warrior class.
  • Special power of soul harvesting.
Luna

• Main female protagonist.
  • Mysterious, quiet, and blunt.
  • Friend of Zephyr as a kid.
  • Priest class.
  • Special power of soul bonding.
Cypher

• Prince of Radia - capital city of Zangard.
  • Charming, heroic, and likes to engage in battle.
  • Paladin class.
Inphy

• Hybrid of a wolf and human.
  • Ecstatic, random, and silly.
  • She doesn't reveal much about herself, and isn't open to any of the characters until she feels comfortable around them.
  • She likes to eat.
  • Red Moon causes her lose control of her humanity.
  • Full Moon increases her strength drastically.
  • Thief class.
  • Special power of shapeshifting.
Angelia

• Step sister of Cypher.
  • Adopted by the royal family.

Screenshots
Spoiler for:

Features
Spoiler for:
  • Turn-based battle system using Victor's animated battle. I also use RTAB, but it isn't meant to rush you at all. It is simply to add a more realistic turn-based experience.
  • Final Fantasy VI inspired pairing system (thanks Yami).
  • Battles will be very infrequent compared to many JRPGs. I want battles to be hard and not feel like a chore.
  • Battle option to increase or lower the enemies' difficulty.
  • Special gauges for every character. Each class will have a unique resource, but some characters will have additional spells and resources that are unique to them as well.
  • Story will be very important - battles will not take up most of the game like traditional JRPGs.
  • Mouse support for movement and interactions.

Team
I do everything at the moment. If you would like to join the project just send me a personal message.

Disclaimer
This is an early feedback project thread, so some of it may change (possibly the game name as well). I appreciate feedback, but please provide constructive criticism and not slander.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:43:41 AM by Helladen »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
Not much to see, but what you have so far looks really nice.

I'll be waiting for more.

Rep:
Level 86
Deviant Designer
Not much to see, but what you have so far looks really nice.

I'll be waiting for more.

Thanks. :) I revised plot a bit. This is still really early in development. I am trying to get some feedback in order to improve the game in the long run.