RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
The Dear Hunter - Migrant (Pre-Release Stream)

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1554459/the-dear-hunter-migrant-exclusive-album-premiere

I've always liked The Dear Hunter. I've never really loved them, or been a huge fan of them, even though I totally respected how great the songwriting was. But this has totally changed that. I don't know why, but this just strikes a chord with me (no pun intended) and I'm enjoying it far more than any of the acts, or The Color Spectrum.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
I guess they abandoned the six-act idea. Listenin'.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
This is way better than Color Spectrum that's for sure

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I guess they abandoned the six-act idea. Listenin'.

I bet he's taking the Star Wars approach, just in reverse. You'll get them in 30 years.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
I didn't even listen to all of the color spectrum because what I heard was disappointing.

This is good in a way completely different than the Acts. This is the product of a band evolving. I'm thoroughly impressed three songs in so far.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I didn't even click this link because one guy said it wasn't good.

Oh, hi Anski.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 98
I dunno if that was a vague stab at me, but I just listened to a couple from different EP's and wasn't impressed. Wasn't gonna march through all of it and figured the Dear Hunter had gone in a direction I didn't much care for.

Rep:
Level 96
Which makes absolutely no sense to me, considering each EP is a different style of music, and also very accurate to the color it represents, in my mildly synesthetic opinion. If you don't like it that's fine, but I have absolutely no respect for your opinion if you didn't even give every track/color a chance. Seriously, how busy is your life that you can't find time to listen to a few hours of music?

Rep:
Level 96
I'm excited for this CD. Like I am for most music I'm finding, lately. I guess I just like liking things. Well, music anyway.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
The acts are nearly perfect, whereas the color spectrum had like 2 amazing songs, and 3 pretty good songs. The single from Migrant is good, so I'm excited to hear more. Especially before the show.

Rep:
Level 98
Which makes absolutely no sense to me, considering each EP is a different style of music, and also very accurate to the color it represents, in my mildly synesthetic opinion. If you don't like it that's fine, but I have absolutely no respect for your opinion if you didn't even give every track/color a chance. Seriously, how busy is your life that you can't find time to listen to a few hours of music?

Remarkably busy, working and schooling full time. It's valid not to take my argument, seeing as I haven't seen the whole picture. I'll give the rest of them a chance when I am able.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Funniest Member2011 Best Musician2010 Most Missed Member
The Color Spectrum sucks, and is an overdone concept in music. This album is sounding pretty good though. But Act IV please.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
I loved Violet. But that's about it.

Rep:
Level 96
Violet was the closest to what all the other Dear Hunter albums sound like.

Orange is my favorite. And then tied for 2nd is Black or Red. From there, White, Yellow, Violet, and Indigo. I have to be in a specific mood for blue. I didn't care for green at all.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:55:57 PM by Dr_Arlen »

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
I didn't think Violet sounded very burlesque at all. I imagine you're drawing more theoretical connections between them though.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Home is a good song, and so is Filth & Squalor.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Funniest Member2011 Best Musician2010 Most Missed Member
Violet is my favorite, and I liked the song Home, and I actually liked some of Green. The rest doesn't appeal to me.

Rep:
Level 96
I liked Black because it reminded me of Queens of the Stone Age, or Nine Inch Nails. It was neat to hear Dear Hunter from a much darker, grittier perspective.

I loved Red because I also love Manchester Orchestra. They recorded those 4 tracks at their studio, with some of the band mates adding parts (like the singer).

Orange reminds me a little bit of Incubus. With dominant 7ths all over the place. And, god, the rhythms and syncopation on those tracks. It just gets me so pumped.

I don't know what band Yellow reminds me of, but that first song feels like the first day of spring every time I hear it.

Violet and White are great, but it sounds like standard Dear Hunter type music to me. Which, again, isn't bad. But I went in to the color spectrum wanting to hear something vastly different for each color. So I guess that's why I liked the Color Spectrum so much.

Rep:
Level 94
I like them better when they just write what they want, instead of trying to "be" something. A lot of times on TCS, it sounded like they were forcing themselves away from doing something that they wanted to, because it wouldn't fit the theme. I know that the acts have a theme as well, but they really just take it in all types of directions, without real constraint.

I also don't like TDH as a band that writes "songs," and I like them so much more when they write pieces of music. They're at their best when unburdened by guidelines, such as song length or style. This is kind of why Red Hands even stood out as their weakest song. ( Though its still awesome, it just doesn't really fit with the rest of the album. ) I later found out that it was one of the first songs Casey wrote, so it makes sense that it feels a little tacked-on.

Rep:
Level 96
Ugh, I had a whole huge thing to post in reply to that, but even if it is how I really feel it sounds incredibly pretentious to say it all. I can't help but want to use what I've learned in music school every time I listen to music, but spouting it off all the time in front of you guys must get annoying.

I was going to go in to some spiel about how TDH writes good music, but when you confine yourself to a 6 minute format it doesn't matter how much artsy noodling you throw in between your chorus and verse, you're still writing "songs." And then I was going to say how much I still absolutely love that kind of music. And then I was going to say that I still wouldn't call it a "piece of music" compared to something, say, Beethoven would write. And then, even though I believed what I just said to be true, I still rolled my eyes at myself. And then I was going to mention how I love to listen to "songs" all day long because they're easier to listen to, and don't waste time getting their ideas out, and how I love patterns and knowing that the chorus is coming up again and wondering how it'll be a little different this time, and oh god my head is a complete mess sometimes.

I did have one coherent point to add, though, and it's this:

I'm of the belief that limitations are what truly bring creativity forward. I've experienced that first hand. I always find myself more creative when I just have my laptop and some cheap MIDI-based program like TabIt, as compared to when I have my entire music library and a MIDI keyboard at my fingertips. Something about actually having to use my imagination to hear what it's supposed to sound like, and/or battling against the program itself (being used to something being easier, and having to try harder to achieve similar results i.e. CHALLENGING myself) makes me more creative as a whole. Which makes perfect sense, right? Activating a part of the brain, and then tapping in to it. But yeah, limitations breed creativity, which is why I ... I guess "sympathized" with the Color Spectrum. I appreciated the challenge they put before themselves, to write 32 tracks in those confines.

But now for the obligatory, and somewhat vague theoretical nonsense to accompany it:

Spoiler for metaphorical theory psycho bable:
And also, you know, with all that music theory and history, and classical composers bending the rules, but doing so SLOWLY, always just slightly pushing the envelope but always constraining themselves to the social norms of music at the time whether they knew they were or not etc etc. You know, all that stuff about how music history as a whole is a story about filling up a box with ideas until it was full, and then trying to stuff MORE in, and then eventually getting a bigger box, filling THAT one up, and trying to stuff EVEN MORE in, and then getting a BIGGER box and repeating, and eventually saying "fuck the box" and all that. But even 12 tone music, which sounds like it has no rules, in fact has incredibly strict rules to follow. Creativity comes from being challenged, and you need limitations to be challenged.

I'm done here. I'm gonna go play Skyrim for the next 4 hours.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
I agree with that to a point, but I think there's also a point when one becomes too limited, and therefore the more creative thing to do in theory would be to break outside of that barrier. If I restrict myself to writing nothing but root-note bass lines, power chords, and C Major scale, how creative could I really get?

There's also a difference between limiting yourself with software/instrumentation and limiting yourself melodically, and I'm not really sure which one you're referring to, if not both.

Rep:
Level 96
Both. I was just using one example.

But the whole point of being so limited is to find ways to be creative within those limits. You don't immediately see the potential of writing with only root-note bass lines, power chords, and c major scales. But isn't that the whole point? That it's not obvious? That you have to put in a lot of effort to use those few tools to make something unique?

Hypothetical examples, though.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:18:35 AM by Dr_Arlen »

Rep:
Level 94
Some of the most memorable parts of the acts are the little one-off things that never come back again. The high bass lead at the end of the bitter suite comes to mind. It's beautiful because it isn't ground into my head over and over again. I get what you're saying in that there are merits to everything in music if you really look at it, but I got into TDH specifically because of that stuff. It's why I like a little progressive in almost everything I listen to. Compare it to video games: I love games like Half-Life 2, Skyrim, Super Mario Galaxy, and Portal 2, where I'm given something to do for a bit, and then just as I get comfortable with it, it's taken away and I'm given something else to do that's equally intriguing. If a developer took one element from those games, for example fighting zombies with a gravity gun like in Ravenholm, and stretched it out into a full game, I would just get sick of it and not go back.

TL;DR: The acts are greater than the sum of their parts, whereas TCS was called a concept album, but was really only a theoretical concept, with no real mortar holding each brick together.

Rep:
Level 96
So, thoughts on the new cd?

Rep:
Level 94
I still haven't really given it a good listen, sadly. I'll post once I do, though.

Rep:
Level 96
I like the first half or so. Then I fall asleep.

Rep:
Level 97
Pretty much the same for me. This is pretty hit or miss for TDH. There's some pretty good songs and some that just bore me. Disappointing.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
I've never seen them live, so I wouldn't know for sure, but I get the feeling these new songs would sound better at a show.

Rep:
Level 94
I love it. There are only 2 songs that are meh, and the rest is really good. It's definitely more mainstream than their other stuff, but Casey is a genius no matter what he's doing.

Rep:
Level 97
The more I listen to it the more I don't like it. There are hints of the usual greatness here and there, and there's some songs that aren't bad, but only kinda good at best. So much of it is just bland and borderline generic.

Rep:
Level 96
I listened to it again today. I found myself appreciating tracks I didn't appreciate before, and finding tracks I loved before much less exciting.

So, whatever that means.