RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Open Source implementation of RMXP engine?

Rep: +0/-0Level 54
RMRK Junior
Hi everyone!

I have been an avid RMXP user and fan a long time ago (I think right after it came out.. I was like 12 or something).
Anyway, these days I've been coming across it again in the form of actually released games (e.g. Quintessence by Kan Gao),
and I've been wondering,
"hell, this maker has been out for so long, surely someone must have at least started a project to create
an open source implementation of the engine by now?".
This question also partly stems from my desire to be able to play RMXP games on Linux,
to which I switched to full time some while ago.

And that's basically why I turned up at your forum, you guys seem to be very tech savvy as well.
Some longer googling sessions didn't turn up anything (or maybe I just suck at googling?),
and I also tried searching this forum before posting.

So, does anyone know of something resembling the above?
Thanks for your time! ^^

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
You could always use Wine :).

"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
You could always use Wine :).
Well, yeah duuuh! He probably already knows that but, like me and many other people who have used/are using Linux (or any other equivalent OS), thinks Wine sucks -.-

Here's a new one: Some Linux versions support Virtual Box (which is basically a Windows inside your linux) and you can install windows stuff on there...

Or maybe you could browse this forum, from which I already picked out a thread especially for you :yuyu:

As blonde as can be!!!
Doesn't mean I'm the dumb one...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler for supporting!:

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Not everybody knows about wine :P can't hurt to check lol. Another option is to make a small windows partition. I noticed a comment in the thread you linked said that the RTP won't work in wine.... which doesn't really make sense at all lol. It's a bunch of resources... pictures....audio files....etc.

But yeah - the best option is to use some sort of windows platform unfortunately (whether it by emulated like wine, virtual like virtual box, or the real thing with a partition).

Being licensed closed source software, unless they got permission from Enterbrain specifically someone could get majorly sued for producing a port of it (implying they reverse engineered the source code). Aka: There's not a *legitimate* linux port.

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
Not everybody knows about wine :P can't hurt to check lol. Another option is to make a small windows partition. I noticed a comment in the thread you linked said that the RTP won't work in wine.... which doesn't really make sense at all lol. It's a bunch of resources... pictures....audio files....etc.

But yeah - the best option is to use some sort of windows platform unfortunately (whether it by emulated like wine, virtual like virtual box, or the real thing with a partition).

Being licensed closed source software, unless they got permission from Enterbrain specifically someone could get majorly sued for producing a port of it (implying they reverse engineered the source code). Aka: There's not a *legitimate* linux port.
There are some game making platforms in that topic too, they are no RPG Maker but hey, it's something, isn't it?

As blonde as can be!!!

Spoiler for supporting!:

RMRK Junior
Thanks everyone for your answers! On a second look, the forum looked a bit stale, so I was worried I posted in a dead place for a minute.

The reason I asked is actually less because I'm looking for a way to play RMXP games (got a windows partition for that, tried with wine but that just crashes always),
but more because I recently started a clean-room (no RE!) implementation, which I'd like to work on as a hobby.
I'm really just talking about the RGSS engine here (sorry, title might have been misleading >.>) that plays the final game.
So if there was like already some major project going, I'd rather have invested my time in improving that.

There's this Google Code page that I found, but it's dead-empty, and somehow I'm even unable to pinpoint how old it is.
Other than that, there is of course the ARC project (which is linked somewhere in this forum as well I believe), but they seem to have a different goal.

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
There's this Google Code page that I found, but it's dead-empty, and somehow I'm even unable to pinpoint how old it is.
Other than that, there is of course the ARC project (which is linked somewhere in this forum as well I believe), but they seem to have a different goal.
That for OpenRGSS but I think it's only the RGSS not the maker platform, though I don't know for sure.
Also, can you do anything with any of these?

As blonde as can be!!!

Spoiler for supporting!:

RMRK Junior
That for OpenRGSS but I think it's only the RGSS not the maker platform, though I don't know for sure.
Also, can you do anything with any of these?

Those all look to be individual implementations of Game Maker (editor) style programs. That's not what I want to do.
I am deliberately targeting RGSS, so that my engine can play games created with the RMXP without changing anything
in the script code/assets.

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
That doesn't make sense to me though. If you pack the game then it will be an .exe that can run without anything else needed. It *should* pack required .dll's and resources in with it. Idk if that includes various GUI libraries though. Have you tested to see if it works that way?

EDIT : I'm aware .exe takes some work in linux but surely it would be easier than writing a new engine.

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

RMRK Junior
That doesn't make sense to me though. If you pack the game then it will be an .exe that can run without anything else needed. It *should* pack required .dll's and resources in with it. Idk if that includes various GUI libraries though. Have you tested to see if it works that way?

EDIT : I'm aware .exe takes some work in linux but surely it would be easier than writing a new engine.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand correctly. Do you mean to pack all parts belonging to RGSS on windows and executing them with wine?
That is horribly unreliable at best, and really ugly. No, I want to create an implementation that can be compiled natively for
platforms other than windows.

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
No lol, that's not what I meant.

RMXP has an option to compress the game data into a single executable.

Compress the game data: Go to “File” and then click “Compress game data”. It will ask for a destination folder (or disk). This compressed data has all the information the game needs to run except for the audio files and graphics.

It should also give you the option to include the RTP within the executable if you want to do that as well.

It puts everything required to play your game in a single executable. The only thing you should need to do is use Wine to run the executable. It shouldn't be unreliable at all and while annoying, it's hardly more annoying than getting any other exe to work on linux.

Unless we're just having a hard time communicating with each other lol which is entirely possible.

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

RMRK Junior
Ohh, I see.. but that created executable is not the game, it is just a self-extracting archive.
AFAIK used RTP data and dlls aren't included as well..

Also, personally, Wine mostly never worked for me with anything. I'm not saying the project is bad,
but to me it just feels horribly unreliable, because everything might break with every update (happened to me before).

RMRK Junior
In case someone finds this thread, I just wanted to add here that I have greatly progressed with my project and am able to mostly fully play RMXP games natively on my engine (as long as they don't use pre 1.9 syntax or Win32API atrocities).

The code is maintained at https://github.com/Ancurio/mkxp

Also, projects similar to mine exist that I stumbled upon in the process:
OpenRGSS (Implemented in Ruby / SDL)
Another "openrgss" (implemented in C / SDL / pre 2.0 OpenGL)
ARGSS (implemented in C++ / SDL / pre 2.0 OpenGL SFML), which funny enough even had a thread on this forum
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 04:17:54 AM by Ancurio »