RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Can I use a peice of another script (if credit is given?)

Rep: +0/-0Level 55
Waiting ...
I am building a script called Dynamic Events which is built very similar to Modern algebra's quest script for ace. in his quest journal he uses a binary search and a insert sort array method.

I would like to use these for my script. I am wondering what the policy is on this? technically there is no "license" on these scripts an they are rather "open" to the public.

So what's the rules? policies or procedures?

I could write my own binary search and insert sort array method, but imo why re-invent the wheel?

Again if allowed, full credit WILL be given.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Yeah, that's fine, and you don't need to give me credit either, though I can't speak for anyone else if you decide to use pieces of their scripts. There are only so many ways you can write code for those functions, and I don't have a copyright on math :P

More generally, the default terms of use only allow for modification for personal use and restrict publishing without permission, but I would typically expect most scripters to be fine with it. I expect that the most that anyone would do is ask for credit, and that only if large portions of the script are extracted. To be on the safe side, it never hurts to ask for permission.

Waiting ...
Thank you, I also got your PM. You said the rules basically say for personal use, this piece of code of yours, the module - would be in a script I would like publish, here and on RPgMakerWeb forums. I will give full credit as, obviously I did not write that module.

So with that in mind - Can I still use the module and publish the code? or am I violating the "TOS"

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Yes, I am fine with you publishing the script anywhere, and I still don't require credit, but that's up to you.

Waiting ...
thank you for the clarifications :D.

Note: I am not asking on a general sense to use ANY ONES SCRIPT - it was mostly for this one module from MA

Thread may be closed, questions answered.